ECU controlled break-in?

Daotan

i don't know if you guys go into the rotary section much but check this out

http://www.mazdamp3.com/vbb225/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26367

according to that thread some people are saying that the RX8 has an ECU controlled break in period. The ECU runs the mixture intentionally rich to keep the owner from winding it out too soon. the theory is that after a certain amount of miles the ECU will let the engine go wild from there

what brought this about is that some new RX8 owners have dyno'ed their RX8 at 178hp at the rear wheels. when its supposed to be making over 200hp. the crank rating is higher of course, i believe 250hp, they are waiting on official word from Mazda on this issue

anyway how many of you think this could also be the case for the 6? i know the rex is a rotary and the 6 isn't, but i have been thinking that my 6 doesn't wind out on the top end very well. i actually thought it was running rich before i read about the rex8 issue, i am also getting pretty bad gas mileage too

opinions?

While I can't offer a for real, definite answer, I can offer my experience. I went to the dealer to get the oil changed @ 600 miles, and the service manager told me that there was no break-in period anymore, and therefore to just get the oil changed @ 3000 miles. Even before he told me this, I was following my standard break-in procedure for any new engine, which is "break it in like it's going to be driven and drive it like you stole it". I picked the car up with 28 miles on the clock, and have been winding the snot out of it ever since. From day one, it has revved very willingly and cleanly right up to the rev limiter. In fact, I still miss on occasion and bump the thing. Just my experience, take it with a grain of salt... maybe two.

Back