fc3s....high idle

hey_hej

:
rx7 GXL 1986
my car idles very high every time I start it up, and then goes to normal after I give a little gas.

is this act usual with every rx7 or I need to check something on the engine?

thanx.

yes, at startup, the FC will rev it up to 3000rpm for 30 seconds to warm up the cat converter, then drop back down to 1500rpm to continue normal warmup.

to bypass this initial startup rpm, start your car in gear.

start up..

thanx guys....I was pretty worried. heeehe

Attachments

• rc car.jpg.jpg
    rc car.jpg.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 464
one more question...

...for some odd reason my car is eating so much gas, is that usual for RX7.

when I bought it, it was from the police impound and the engine looks and sounds like it was rebuilted. Now my odometer says 100K miles. but those are probably just numbers...
I took it to number of mechanics in my area, but none of them know anything about rotaries....

thanx.

eating too much gas, well you need to give some numbers, like how many miles on a full tank.

I get around 300-310 on a full tank in mixed 50/50 city/hwy driving. Averages out to about 19mpg.

Yeah rotaries aren't the most fuel efficient engines out there. Neither of my RX7's saw much over 18MPG....especially my '82 with a 13B streetport motor.

Re: Re: ...

ZoomZoomH said:
well that's not TOO BAD

you need to tell us how many miles per tank

...aproximetly 20 mpg.....I tried to keep track of it, but my speedometer gauge stopped working..

Re: ...

hey_hej said:
it feels like my old v8...

I use to spend 50 bucks every 5-7 days

That's about right. For a car that almost performs like it has a V8 under the hood, that's the kind of mileage you can usually expect. Unless your RX7 is turbo, you can run the cheapest 87 octane gas in it with no problems.

it's a N/A....

I worked on the timing even to make it little more economical...

honestly, I might sound dumb...but all this time I used the most expesive gas.
I thought it might save the engine from wearing out.

heh .....dont complain i get about 3-5 miles per gallon if i dont go over 4k if i race my 10 gallon cell is gone in about 9, 1/4 mile runs including burn out now thats bad gas mileage :eek:

twistedrx7 said:
heh .....dont complain i get about 3-5 miles per gallon if i dont go over 4k if i race my 10 gallon cell is gone in about 9, 1/4 mile runs including burn out now thats bad gas mileage :eek:

...no I'm not, I'm still learning about my car. I just think you guys have more experience with these cars than me.

that's why I asked this question, hopping to find similarities that other rx7's have with mine.

Last edited:

I have a question guys,
does 1986 rx7 FC come with LSD, or that comes in later years...

thanx.

It came in later years as an option, and generally was only equipped on the Turbo II models. My '88 RX-7 has the Mazdaspeed LSD, so I'm not sure if it came with one, stock, on a Turbo II, but mine sure as heck has it. =)

Just answered myself with a little research... Hehee. The baseline, SE and 'Sport' models of any year don't come with LSD, the Turbo II, GTU and GSL do from '87 and up. I'm not sure if it was an option on the other models at any point, but I'm sure a lot changed as far as with the 10th Anniversary Edition and later.

Back