irev in houston a bust

jdm_mp5

i knew something was wrong when i was waiting in line and people were already leaving. Yeah, it sucked bad!

I second that one!! got there 45 minutes after the doors opened...it took 1 1/2 hours in line to get in...to the tune of $17 with a coupon....and in 45 minutes we had seen EVERYTHING....and that was taking our time to look at every car...every exhibit....everything....what a rip off!!....and to top it all off....I saw more varity...and better looking cars in the parking lot than I did inside!! ..... what a waste of my time...and certainly a rip off of my green:mad:

Sir Nuke said:
I second that one!! got there 45 minutes after the doors opened...it took 1 1/2 hours in line to get in...to the tune of $17 with a coupon....and in 45 minutes we had seen EVERYTHING....and that was taking our time to look at every car...every exhibit....everything....what a rip off!!....and to top it all off....I saw more varity...and better looking cars in the parking lot than I did inside!! ..... what a waste of my time...and certainly a rip off of my green:mad:

Yeah I got up in front of the arena, and the wind was blowing hard.....and my 3month old was crying...and I was like Fu** this...so we took off.......

Hey nuke, yer MP5 is yellow right?....do you have any red graphics on it?

Hey nuke, yer MP5 is yellow right?....do you have any red graphics on it?
NOPE.....I like my ride CLEAN....the ONLY addition to the outside of the car is the image you see in my signature....that is on the rear quarter windows.....my buddy drove his OLD Eagle to the show...neither of us wanted to drive our NICE rides up and leave them in THAT parking lot! lol:)

just wondering....I only saw 2 up there...silver and yellow....didn't want to take mine..so I made my wife driver her taurus...:D

Davy Jones KartZone... more fun than IR.

OoOo... thank goodness I didn't go. I was convinced by friends not to attend this Import Revolution show. I heard from another friend who did check it out that he too breezed right through everything within an hour. The WIC I did go to on Sunday, and I thought it was a pretty good show.

Instead, on Saturday, I went to the Davy Jones KartZone to race. Was something not even my friends from Houston knew about until recently. It was a blast, 8 minutes only, but killed my arms after I was finished. Out of 6 of us I was third place for a first timer ... with a slooow time (compared to many others between mid-24s to high-25s) of 26.512 seconds around the track.

This is something I'd recommend to folks out there who live in Houston or go to Houston often. I don't live there but I was able to snagged a free license so I'll be back there another time to race again! Not cheap though.

Davy Jones KartZone
713-781-6363

I must say that looks phat......I think I may check it out.....Never heard of it though.....How busy was it Allen?

Up here in Indy we have a couple places like that. We have Racers in Union Station in downtown Indianapolis. We have the Stephan Johanssen Karting center on the west side of town. (Very nice, and not too expensive @ $25). Then there is my favorite. It's an outdoor course with banked turns and really nice carts. Check out this site and stop by if you ever get to Indy. Also, let me know! I want some competition up here! My friends are all wimps and can't keep up. (And I thought I lived in a racing town)
Thought I'd add some midwest flavor to this thread...
:cool:

vkyolv said:
I must say that looks phat......I think I may check it out.....Never heard of it though.....How busy was it Allen?

Funny thing is that it wasn't particularly busy, especially given that it was on a Saturday. We noticed the lack of traffic too when we arrived. They had at least 29 peeps with best times posted on the chart just that day. So maybe we just arrived there late when everyone was already gone.

There were 3 people who were racing each other when we got there, but other than that no more than 3-5 spectators hanging around (friends or maybe family members) at the time. By the time all six of us started to race, only the girls with us were there to watch plus the employees.

Like I said, it isn't cheap. Between $20-$30 for an 8 minute race is not something you'd want to do everyday or even every week. Maybe every two weeks sounds a bit more reasonable.

Another thing is that this place may be sort of a hole-in-the-wall type of business. I assume not very many people know about it. Having friends who enjoys racing activities not know about this place just makes me think that Davy Jones KartZone in Houston doesn't have the best location or probably not very versed at advertising their stuff. Know what I mean?

Overall it was pretty kick-arse. I drove the Grand Prix go-karts here in Austin and I don't think it was as fun or exciting as KartZone in Houston. The Grand Prix karts doesn't really allow you to bump or pass even if you are an expert in driving. KartZone on the other hand, you can touch bump if necessary (but intentional bumping is not allowed in the rules... you can get thrown out of the race for that) when you pass your opponent (I know first hand since I was passed up by one of the better drivers that day... not lapped like one of our slower buddies, just passed from behind...hee hee :D )

Back