Mirror with Compass and Temp

LinuxRacr

Contributor
:
2001 Mazda MP3
I just recieved my Mirror that I ordered from Mazdastuff.com You have to go to the 2002 accessories for the Protege. It cost $198 + siphipping and Tax. Total was $221. It comes with detailed instructions for install on a 626 and a Protege. I will attempt to install it today or tomorrow.:D

Last edited:
Well, After getting this, I went out and tried to slide my OEM mirror off of the windshield, and ended up putting more cracks in it! The next day I had my windshield replaced, and then I installed the mirror. It is fairly easy to install, and the instuctions are easy to follow. It took about an hour, but it is worth it! The mirror has a digital compass that you can calibrate whenever, and the Digital thermometer does Celcius as well as Ferenhiet (bad spelling). The auto-dimming feature is great because it cuts the glaring headlights from behind at night. If you just cover the front sensor, it dims quickly. I like it!:D

You cracked your windshield trying to remove the mirror? That doesn't seem like a worthwhile option if it takes replacing the windshield to get it done. (Am I misunderstanding what you are saying?)
I agree the auto-dim, compass and temp would be nice, but is there a better way to get the original mirror off?
:cool:

That compass thing would come in handy....I'm directionally challenged! ;)

I do want to know more about what happened tho...it sounds like your windshield was already cracked before you put the mirron on?

My windshield had cracks on both sides from rocks on the highway before I tried to slide off the old mirror. The mirror will come right off, but after trying for over an hour, I got frustrated and tried force. This is what did it. The guy who installed my windshield informed me of the correct way to remove the OEM mirror. You just have to use a small (4mm) flat-head. You insert it into the bottom center of the bracket, and fish it to the back until you feel resitance. Apply the upward force, and also gently try to slide the mirror up off of the bracket. There is a small spring tab at the bottom. This is not the one to concentrate on. If you look at the new mirror's bracket, you will notice a larger, more verticle tab that you will not be able to see until the mirror is off. Again the intructions are VERY detailed.

Yea both of my parents cars have these they are great i wish i had one but thats alot of money just for a compass. i did look into it earlier but when i heard the price i decided not to get it. Maybe later if i feel its woth it i will buy it.

can you scan the instruction and post 'em up? how does it get power?

thanks

I will see what I can do about scaning in the insructions, but as far as power, it plugs into your terminal block under your dash, next to the clutch.

Attachments

• mirror_1.jpg
    mirror_1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 323
  • mirror_2.jpg
    mirror_2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 330
  • mirror_3.jpg
    mirror_3.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 317
  • mirror_4.jpg
    mirror_4.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 289
  • mirror_5.jpg
    mirror_5.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Pages 7-10 are troubleshooting.

The rest:

Attachments

• mirror_6.jpg
    mirror_6.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 247
  • mirror_7.jpg
    mirror_7.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 244
  • mirror_8.jpg
    mirror_8.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Oops! I forgot a few. I forgot to add pages 7 & 8. 9 & 10 are the troubleshooting pages! 7 & 8 are now there.

Last edited:
Let me see if I get this correctly:

If I want the compass-thermometer-auto-dimming mirror, I:

1) Break my windshield or
2) Wade thru 10 pages of instructions on how to remove the old one?

Sheesh!

Jack :p

Syzygy said:
Let me see if I get this correctly:

If I want the compass-thermometer-auto-dimming mirror, I:

1) Break my windshield or
2) Wade thru 10 pages of instructions on how to remove the old one?

Sheesh!

Jack :p

No, The broken windshield is a result if you do not remove the mirror correctly (get impatient and start yanking mirror). An auto glass provider should be able to help you remove the OEM mirror if you really need help. The instructions are NOT based on removing the mirror. Just a section of the first page. This is not a difficult install. It took me about 20-40 minutes to do. Again, the instructions are VERY detailed.

Last edited:
super mirror

I have that mirror on my yellow mp5 mine was factory installed for 150$ canadian. my mirror also tells me if I am parked on ice ., If the roads are wet. This mirror sounds the same as yours but maybe you haven't had the canadian weather i have to see if yours is the same.

Re: super mirror

lucky said:
I have that mirror on my yellow mp5 mine was factory installed for 150$ canadian. my mirror also tells me if I am parked on ice ., If the roads are wet. This mirror sounds the same as yours but maybe you haven't had the canadian weather i have to see if yours is the same.

lol. Dude. It tells you if you're parked on ice? You sure? That's pretty damn hard for a mechanism to pick up. It does, however, displays "ICE" on it if the temperature is 3 degrees Celcius or lower.

Forget the Instructions!

Post some pics of the mirror not the instructions.
I want to see where the leds are located....

Re: Forget the Instructions!

CharlieP5 said:
Post some pics of the mirror not the instructions.
I want to see where the leds are located....

This information should be in the instructions.

Back