Silver RX-8. Seen one today

Lovely. Much smaller then I thought it would be though. I'm only 5'10" and 180 lbs, and I found it small up front.

Fits like a glove though. very cool car, and seeing it in motion....purdy.

Disappointed with the silver paint though. not much metallic in it at all. I think, red, blue, and titanium would be really nice. I parked my Ti. 2003.5 MSP next to it, and my paint was a heck of a lot nicer then that. And everyone agreed.

Guy at dealer told me something I thought was bulls*** though.

Said

1. Car goes through a quart of oil every two tanks of gas???? wtf? Never heard this before. And this is supposed to be "normal for a rotary?"

2. Say you want to move the car from one spot to another. Don't just turn it on, then off again. Car has to run for 5 mins at least. ummmmm ok.

I have no clue about rotary engines.

So. Fact or Fiction?

My local dealer has 3 titanium SPEEDS, 1 Yellow SPEED. and a black RX-8 sitting next to each other on the lot. My friend (Spec V owner) and I are going to go up and take them for a drive this weekend. I think my friend is changing his mind about his Spec V purchase. I don't know much about rotory engines myself but I'll be putting those questions to the dealer when we go.

my old rx-7 consumed about 1 qt. of oil every 1500 miles, i doubt that a newer rotary would require more.

newf said:

1. Car goes through a quart of oil every two tanks of gas???? wtf? Never heard this before. And this is supposed to be "normal for a rotary?"

2. Say you want to move the car from one spot to another. Don't just turn it on, then off again. Car has to run for 5 mins at least. ummmmm ok.

I have no clue about rotary engines.

So. Fact or Fiction?

My knowledge is from the little bit I knew about older RX-7s. My bro had an 88 convertible and I briefly had a 91 coupe, both NA.

1) I believe the older rotaries used some form of oil injection to spray oil onto the apex seals when they came in contact with the rotor chamber. By their nature they did burn a little bit of oil. But a quart per 2 fill-ups sounds extreme. I am not sure if the Renesis still uses this form of lubrication.

2) Again, on the FC RX-7s, there was a flooding issue. Basically if you started the car and did not let it warm up fully before shutting it down, it would flood and would be very very difficult to start next time. It never happened to me in my 91, but happened to my brother occasionally in his 88. At the time I wasn't aware of this trait in the FCs. Again, not sure if this is the case with the Renesis. I doubt though.

That said, I still like to let my cars warm up before shutting down. My old MX-6 and my wife's Millenia (both 2.5L) run like crap the next time if I don't warm them up fully. After a few seconds it would go away.

newf said:

1. All rotary engines by design consume oil. RENESIS, with its MUCH MORE improved oil injectors, will only use approx. 1 quart PER 10,000 miles, an amount low enough that you woudl have changed your oil TWICE (per owner's manual) during that span.

2. This is true, as said by the dealer's preparation manual. They need to do that so the various plates of metals that form the rotary engine can be expanded to its full operating size before being shut down, thus reducing the stress on the seals and gaskets.

flooding should not be an issue with a BRAND NEW rotary, no less a MUCH IMPROVED rotary engine.

Back