Thinking about getting a 6s

Jer

MazdaNoob
Hi all,

I know that this is probably the most common questions asked, but since I got screwed over on my last purchased I vowed to never again go into a car buying venture without knowing exactly what I am buying.

Well I have my next car choice narrowed down between the 6s and the Subaru WRX. I currently own a old style impreza and love the AWD and handling of it.

Mostly the car will be used as a commuter, as I am a computer tech going from customer to customer aka lots o miles. I haven't tracked my impreza yet, though have always wanted to, but realistically, this car will probably stay on the streets. And I don't street race, but I tend to try to get on the interstate faster then most :rolleyes:

Anyways, background done, now for some Q/A (keep in mind I am just a silly noob)

The 3.0 is the same motor that is in the Ford Taurus is it not? At least thats what I heard from someone?

What options are best to get, or basically should I just look for the color I want and move on from there. Definantes that I want are sunroof and spoiler (but I think just about every S I have seen on the lots come with these anyways). I plan on aftermarket stereo and wheels almost imediately (saving the stockers for dedicated snows)

How would you guys rate the handleing of the S, the same as the i, heavy, sluggish, understear etc etc.

How do they handle the snow, I know, buy snow tires, take it easy, but that said, how do they handle.

Aftermarket parts? while I don't like to mod my cars to the point where the dealer laughs at me when I ask for warrentee work a decent intake and grill (I have seen one on the board that I really like) and possibly down the road maybe a new cat back system of some sort.

Color? Personally I am leaning toward the steel gray, yellow is out, but what seems to be the popular color that everyone has (example blue and silver are widely popular with the wrx crowd) I sorta like to stay away from the main stream colors, unless I like it an awful lot.

Attention? the wrx, specifically the STi seems to be getting arse loads of unwanted attention, people having issues with badge stealing and cops singleing them out, this happen with the 6 crowd too?

OK, thats enough for now, with any luck I will be putting my downpayment on a new car when I get my tax refund back in March :D :D

- Jer

Originally posted by Jer
Hi all,

I know that this is probably the most common questions asked, but since I got screwed over on my last purchased I vowed to never again go into a car buying venture without knowing exactly what I am buying.

Well I have my next car choice narrowed down between the 6s and the Subaru WRX. I currently own a old style impreza and love the AWD and handling of it.

Mostly the car will be used as a commuter, as I am a computer tech going from customer to customer aka lots o miles. I haven't tracked my impreza yet, though have always wanted to, but realistically, this car will probably stay on the streets. And I don't street race, but I tend to try to get on the interstate faster then most :rolleyes:

Anyways, background done, now for some Q/A (keep in mind I am just a silly noob)

The 3.0 is the same motor that is in the Ford Taurus is it not? At least thats what I heard from someone?

This is the same Duratec Ford 3.0 Liter that has been used before. It has been enhanced by Mazda, mainly by the Variable Valve Timing.

What options are best to get, or basically should I just look for the color I want and move on from there. Definantes that I want are sunroof and spoiler (but I think just about every S I have seen on the lots come with these anyways). I plan on aftermarket stereo and wheels almost imediately (saving the stockers for dedicated snows)

I would pretty much pick a color and go from there. If you are going to replace the wheels immediately DO NOT get the Sport Package. You will be replacing two of the features from it (Bose & Factory 17's). I would go with a standard S w/ the Appereance Package. This has the body kit w/ spoiler, and the regular 16's. If you like leather then you can get the Premium Package which includes the Sunroof, but it also includes the Bose System which you will be yanking.

How would you guys rate the handleing of the S, the same as the i, heavy, sluggish, understear etc etc.

I have never driven the i, but 6S does not suffer from any of those problems. I went from a 2002 Protege5 to this, and I will admit that the Protege5 beats it hands down, but the 6 is no slouch. I would say it beats anything comparable in it's class (Altima, Accord, Interpid, Grand Prix, etc.). But, I don't think that it would beat a WRX or an STi for that matter!

How do they handle the snow, I know, buy snow tires, take it easy, but that said, how do they handle.

Don't know, only have had mine for 2 months. But Traction Control is standard if that is a concern.

Aftermarket parts? while I don't like to mod my cars to the point where the dealer laughs at me when I ask for warrentee work a decent intake and grill (I have seen one on the board that I really like) and possibly down the road maybe a new cat back system of some sort.

Check my thread here that I compile of Aftermarket Support. Not a ton right now, but there is some goodies in the works by very reputable companies (AEM, Injen, K&N, etc.). Aftermarket Support For The 6

Color? Personally I am leaning toward the steel gray, yellow is out, but what seems to be the popular color that everyone has (example blue and silver are widely popular with the wrx crowd) I sorta like to stay away from the main stream colors, unless I like it an awful lot.

Complete personal opinion. I went with the Sepang Green. Released in March 03. Have not seen any others on the road with it. :D

Attention? the wrx, specifically the STi seems to be getting arse loads of unwanted attention, people having issues with badge stealing and cops singleing them out, this happen with the 6 crowd too?

Nothing to out of the ordinary. Never had cops follow me, or anyone messing with it yet. (KNOCK ON WOOD).

OK, thats enough for now, with any luck I will be putting my downpayment on a new car when I get my tax refund back in March :D :D

March!? You are doing your research!! :D

- Jer

Hope this helped. Got any more questions, let me know.

Wow, great answers MS, now I know why they made you king ... err mod

Great info on the packages, do you happen to know if the bose package has RCA inputs or a converter for that option, I have an iPod that I like to hardwire, like in my kenwoode deck now they have an adapter that connected to the CD Changer in.

Again thanks

<--- hated hw way back in school, but for some reason when it's about a new car doesn't seem to mind :D

PUHLEAZE... step to a real car

i-1_B_L.JPG

Ah I just don't like the looks of the SRT-4, it's quick, but like I said, this car will probably never see a track, so what's the use.

That and the SRT-4 sticks out like a sore thumb, and attention is something I don't want.

So instead of coming in here and flaming me go back to your other forums where you can "live life 1/4 mile at a time" :rolleyes:

Jer said:
Ah I just don't like the looks of the SRT-4, it's quick, but like I said, this car will probably never see a track, so what's the use.

That and the SRT-4 sticks out like a sore thumb, and attention is something I don't want.

So instead of coming in here and flaming me go back to your other forums where you can "live life 1/4 mile at a time" :rolleyes:

HAHA! That's some funny s***... :D

Jer said:
Wow, great answers MS, now I know why they made you king ... err mod

Great info on the packages, do you happen to know if the bose package has RCA inputs or a converter for that option, I have an iPod that I like to hardwire, like in my kenwoode deck now they have an adapter that connected to the CD Changer in.

Again thanks

<--- hated hw way back in school, but for some reason when it's about a new car doesn't seem to mind :D

Thanks. :) I try to help out. I was in the same boat you were in, so I know that finding good info is important.

Unfortunately, the Bose system does not have any inputs. You can add the single-disc MP3 player, but you lose the 6-disc player. Also, w/ the sub in the rear you can easily add an additional sub (which is what I am going to do) through the high-level inputs of an additional amp. The only thing I am really dissatisfied with is the lack of bass, it's not terrible, just not what I am used. I am adding a single 12" in a sealed enclosure.

smolten said:

i-1_B_L.JPG

PUHLEAZE... If he wanted to step to really fast car, and was willing to spend $26K on a fully loaded 6S, then I am sure he would spend another $5K and get the STi, especially since he already has a Subaru...

OK, went down to my dealer today and took a closer look at the cars, found out the difference between the appearance package and sport package (front lip wise) and I have to say the appearance package .... blows chunks, looks like that front lip could just fall right off, also looks a little ricey for my tastes.

So I guess when I goto order it will be a 6s with premium, sport and comfort :) and hell, toss inthe bose system too, should still easily be under 27k which is my max.

Of course now I have a nice set of 17's which I will need to find winter tires for :D

Hello everyone, new to this forum.

Since the Mazda 6 uses the Duratec Ford 3.0 Liter, is this engine reliable? I just don't trust Ford and its reliability issues (eg - tranny problems)

Well I was dumb and told the guy that I wasn't really in the market till like March, so .... nope

It was hard enough to get him to even talk, I has to ask all the Q's. I may need to visit the other semi local dealer when I am in CT to see how I feel about them.

Zoom Zoom Zoom said:
If the Mazda 6 don't use the Ford transmission, is the V6 engine reliable since its from FORD?

I am sure it is or Mazda would not have put it in. They did enhance it with the Variable Valve Cam Timing. Other than that not sure about any other enhancements... Supposedly the Duratec 3.0 Liter is a pretty solid engine. Alot of people swear by it.

Jer said:
Well I was dumb and told the guy that I wasn't really in the market till like March, so .... nope

It was hard enough to get him to even talk, I has to ask all the Q's. I may need to visit the other semi local dealer when I am in CT to see how I feel about them.

Too bad... :(

as for the relibility of the v6 motor...it's a ford block with a mazda head. a friends father works for mazda corporate and was a mastertech of 25+ yrs..said it's the best head design mazda ever made. as well as the trans. the auto is out of the mpv and the manual is ground up new.

Ahhh nice to see someone else is supporting the SRT-4 in here..and it's silver just like mine!

If he has the money for an STi go for it. But I'm sticking with my SRT on this one. If he's going only for the WRX, the SRT-4 is gonna be my suggestion. You watch...once Mopar unleashes it's full catalog for the SRT-4 you're gonna see some pissed off Scoobie drivers.

But who wants to drive a POS Neon anyway? (hi)

smolten said:

i-1_B_L.JPG

Ladies and Gentlemen the ASSCLOWN has spoken, all bow to his mighty GEO!

crap_geo1.jpg

The 6 is only half the car of the mighty geo!

Back