Factory CD Player

cop1976

:
2002 Protege 5
Factory CD Player Question

Hi There....I just purchased a yellow MP5 and am picking it up this coming week sometime. I have a question concerning the factory cd player. I have heard from a friend at work that he heard the cd player plays MP3's burned to cd. I was just wondering if anyone out there can give me any information on the cd player and if this is true. Also wanted to know if the cd player plays burned cd's that have been converted from MP3 to wav files? Any help would be appreciated.

ZOOM ZOOM :p

Last edited:
I am 99.9% sure that the P5 stock system will not play MP3 files.
The limited edition Mazda Protege MP3 got the MP3 player stock.

The stock player will play burned cd's but the mp3's must be converted to cd-audio. I doubt it will play .wav files.

Stock CD player

The Protege5 stock CD player will not read MP3's. It will play CDR's, and it can read .wav files. :) However, there are many instances of CDR discs getting jammed into the player, ::mad: more so with the single disc player, not as much with the 6 disc. There is an easy remedy if this happens, though. Look in the fuse box in the drivers kick panel, there's one fuse sitting higher than the rest. Pull it out for a little while, then put it back in and hit the eject button. I actually showed this to my local Mazda service center, who until then had been replacing the whole deck!

I don't know if it will play CD-RW's though, since they're formatted a little different.

NOPE....as stated above....the stock player in the P-5 will NOT play mp3's.....but will play CDR'S.....I have the 6-disc changer and load and unload them all the time....and of all the cd's I have....there are only a hand full that are "factory" cd's.....I make nearly all my own.:)

The Stock single CD or CD changers found in the MP5 are only able to read the standard redbook audio format. Most burning software will automaticaly convert either wav or MP3 audio to redbook when burning an audio CD. I have had a few issues even then. In some cases the burned CDs will skip in the MP5 cd player but the same disc will play fine in a standard CD player.

The stock player will play burned cd's but the mp3's must be converted to cd-audio. I doubt it will play .wav files.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

.wav format is supported by ALL CD players.

clarifying terminologies....

first post here, seems like we're having a little confusion here, so let me try and help clear up some things:

stock Mazda Protege5 CD player plays ONLY 'red book' audio CD FORMAT.

stock Mazda Protege5 CD player plays audio CDs recorded on CD-R or CD-RW MEDIA.

stock Mazda Protege5 CD player DOES NOT read 'yellow book' CD-ROM format CDs. That means it cannot read data files such as .mp3 and .wav files, recorded on a CD-ROM, in its NATIVE format, without a conversion to audio CD format using a CD mastering software.

Now, a good CD mastering software (Easy CD Creator, Nero Burning ROM) can blur the line a bit, since they can decode MP3 and WAV files on the fly and burn them onto CD-R/RW in AUDIO CD (red book) format, which can also be played on regular Walkman CD players.

The biggest difference betweent the stock CD player on the P5 and the MP3's Kenwood head unit is that, in addition to reading audio-CD/red book formatted CDs, the Kenwood unit also reads CD-ROM/yellow book discs that contains .mp3 FILES, usually within subdirectories on a CD-ROM. Not sure if the Kenwood can read .wav files, any MP3 owners can confirm on that?

Hope I didn't make people more confused :D

can we get a confirmation that it will play CDRW files? because that will be the end-all of it if it does.. i mean interchangeable music on demand, how much more customizable do you want?

short of spending lots of dough on an mp3 deck, cdrw-readable players would suit me fine.

at .20 a piece...I will just get the same 74 minute 24X Silver/Silver CD-R's I normally get. they are pretty much disposable for that price.

RCA Pre-outs?

On a related note, does the factory head unit have RCA pre-outs so we can stick an amp with it?

Latest posts

Back