Engine stumble...

Joe M

Other than my previous post about the fuse compartment cover, I have what I think is a more serious problem. At certain rpm's, usually around 2500, I get a stumble or hesitation with the engine. I have a 6s 5 speed and it doesn't seem to matter what gear I'm in, it's usually there. It is much more evident with the a/c on than with it off. I took it back to the dealer the first time I noticed it (within 200 miles) and they kept it over-night. When I picked it up, the tech acknowledged that there was a hesitation so they contacted Mazda and was told by Mazda that there was no fix for the problem that it was "the nature of the beast". I don't think going off on the service manager will do any good because I think they have done everything they can (or have they??). I do know that I will tell them about the problem every time I take it in for service.

What I'd like to know is if there's been anyone else with this problem and if there's any other thing I can do to get rid of it. The compartment cover thing is annoying, this is unacceptable.....

Thanks for any help and sorry about the length of the post......by the way, I REALLY do like the car.......

click on the search button at the top of the page and do a search under "hesitation." Trust me, you'll get a few pages of info to look at. :)

Thanks Familia, I read a bunch of those posts and will try to read more. Isn't kinda strange that a turbo engine and a NA one would have the same problem?? The engine in a 6s isn't the same as the one in the MSP. Or are you saying that Mazda doesn't know how to fix a stumble/hesitation in any engine;)

hehe. I wouldnt go as far as to say that. But I would say that Mazda needs to at least ACT like they are doing something about it.:) oh well.. my car hasn't had problems(yet) so I'm happy. Good luck with your car though.

Edit:

Oh and if the Hesitation become unbearable, Perfworks has some goodies you should take a look at.. If all goes well a simple engine management system should eliminate the problem. And others are making progress in this area as well.

Last edited:
Does this hesitation come under WOT? Please describe more on the problem (circumstances, gear it is in, etc.). Also do you have the AT or MT?

And I thought I was the only one that had the damn fuse cover problem!! Jesus that thing is annoying!!

It's a common problem with the 6 - Most dealers are aware of it but will tell you there is nothing they can do. Most people consider it a throttle issue - The drive by wire adds a hesitation at times when you hit the gas making the car feel like it's lagging. It's also not consistant. Sometimes you can stomp the gas with no delay - other times you can stomp it and the car will take ages it seems for the tach to start moving.

It affects both the Manual and Auto trannies. So far people have tried grounding wires - traction disabling - and goat sacrificing to no avail:( Best bet is to call up mazda and add your complaint to the list of everyone else.

Maybe I'm not describing the problem correctly.....it's not a hesitation, it's more of a stutter or miss, almost like there was dirt in the fuel or something. It comes and goes, especially between 2500-3000 rpm. Like I said in my first post, you can notice it a lot easier when the a/c is on. In fact, if I keep the car at a constant 2500-3000 rpm, no matter what gear I'm in, you can almost always feel it. Seems like the car runs best when it's under full acceleration. I don't have a clue what you mean by "WOT"......

Joe M said:
Maybe I'm not describing the problem correctly.....it's not a hesitation, it's more of a stutter or miss, almost like there was dirt in the fuel or something. It comes and goes, especially between 2500-3000 rpm. Like I said in my first post, you can notice it a lot easier when the a/c is on. In fact, if I keep the car at a constant 2500-3000 rpm, no matter what gear I'm in, you can almost always feel it. Seems like the car runs best when it's under full acceleration. I don't have a clue what you mean by "WOT"......

That's weird... I wonder if it is an electrical issue. Especially when it happens more when you have a good draw on the alternator (AC being on etc.). Try taking it to the dealer so that they can see the issue.

Josh, the dealer has already had the car, admitted they felt the problem, talked to Mazda and said they couldn't do anything about it......:mad: :confused: :wtf:

Is this aswell of an established problem as the MSP's hesitation?

1st MP3 in NH said:
Is this aswell of an established problem as the MSP's hesitation?

Nope. I have never suffered from it. Only a few people. There is a supposed issue that plagues alot of 6's that have to do with the Electronic Throttle. Some people say there is an occasional lag. I have never felt it though...

Isn't that the cable throttle lag for like a 1/2 second at most?
I know the boys on 6club mentioned that a new ground wire solved it for them. I will obviously add that as I amke the kits for Christ sakes :D

What you guys are describing doesn't sound like my problem; I don't have a lag or hesitation, it's almost like a miss in the engine. It seems to run best when the a/c is off and I really accelerate hard :confused:

Back