P5 Stereo

meistern

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can find info about the expansion interface on the Factory Stereo in the P5 ?

I want to hook a computer up to the stereo to play music through as well as some other home-made toys. I Just want to see what my possibilities are.

Thnx :)

Actually it would be pretty easy.
You'll need an FM modulator, an on/off switch and a 1/8" mini jack to RCA adapter. Hook the RF modulator in to the antenna line behind the radio and put the on/off switch in-line on the power wire to turn the modultor on and off. Plug the RCA jacks from the mini jack adapter in to the modulator. Now you can hook any device that has a headphone jack output on it up to you radio.
If you need a USB connection you will need to get hold of an older Sony Rf modulator with Uni-link changer control and an XA-300 Aux, input adapter. This will let you add a Sony changer with two more aux. inputs, one with an adjustable headphone output, and also a USB input.
The first method with be cheaper and easier though.

Greg S said:
Actually it would be pretty easy.
You'll need an FM modulator, an on/off switch and a 1/8" mini jack to RCA adapter. Hook the RF modulator in to the antenna line behind the radio and put the on/off switch in-line on the power wire to turn the modultor on and off. Plug the RCA jacks from the mini jack adapter in to the modulator. Now you can hook any device that has a headphone jack output on it up to you radio.
If you need a USB connection you will need to get hold of an older Sony Rf modulator with Uni-link changer control and an XA-300 Aux, input adapter. This will let you add a Sony changer with two more aux. inputs, one with an adjustable headphone output, and also a USB input.
The first method with be cheaper and easier though.

I've thought of doing something similar to this, however, I don't really think this would produce very good sound.

I'll probably end up having to go at this with an ociliscope/Volt-meter and see if I can find the pinout. Gnd/Power/swPower should be fairly easy to find, the rest will probably be slightly more difficult.

Just trying to see if I didn't have to re-invent the wheel :)

You might be surprised at the sound quality. The RF modulators have been getting a lot better lately due to the increase in video systems being put in to car now.
As for the pin out in the harness I don't quite see how this will help in adding another input to the system. You'll have constant, ground, switched power, illumination, dinmmer and the eight speaker wire outputs. Unfortunately none of these will allow you to add an input to the unit. If the radio has the capability of adding a factory CD changer to it then you could use the input plug from that as your input, but I don't think it does since there is a facotyr in dash 6 disc changer option only. If there is they you are in luck. If not you'll actually have to crack opent he unit to see where the signal goes in to the built in amp of the radio and add a switching system to it to get your second input.

You can add a Minidisk or tape player by adding a module to the factory stereo. The stereo has an input for the MD/Tape player as well as a button. What I want to do is use this input interface to put some other devices on it. There shouldn't be any need to open the unit.

OK, makes sense now. Didn't know it had an aux input on it. I would probably still open the unit just because you'll find it really easy to trace the circuits that way. Audio circuits are usually seperated from the rest for better clarity, or at least to reduce the chance of radiated noise. A simple way to see what does what would be to order the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual from the dealer. They are about $40-50, but htey give you all the plug schematics for the whole car and the full layout of all the electrical systems. I've found the one I have for my MX-6 very useful over the years.

this guy added an AUX port to his stock stereo but his connectors are different than mine and the pinout on the auxillary port are different as well.

Aux Jack

there seems to be just a jumper and then the 3 wires for the jack.
i'm awaiting my connector to test anything further.

it has connections for serial out to a disc changer but that shouldn't be necessary for a tape deck.

they sell connectors which allow up to 3 different inputs but i wouldn't pay $70-$110 for something like that when i could buy a nicer stereo with Aux included.

Last edited:
THere is no aftermarket adapet avaialble to take advantage of the input to the factory radio.

I realize, I sell them, none are available for Mazda by anyone.
A while ago someone said they would accept the task and make one but that was over 2 months ago and not even an update to if they actualy started or not has been posted.

i thought certain companies use the same interface, like ford maybe, but i suppose not.

Unfortunitly no, Fords radio have not had anything in common with the mazda cars.

no kidding, huh
i've only been there once before.
don't see many Proteges around here, mostly civics.

I have 2 for god sakes!

You've only been to nashua NH once?
Do you live in a bubble?

i go to school in Concord, used to live in Hampton.
but only traveled to Nashua to deliver some supplies from my work to the Nashua Longhorn.

Seems weird to never visit the best city in america :rolleyes:

Concord, hmm, Franklin Peirce and NHCTI are the only schools I know of up there. I went ot NHCTI. Did a job for FPLC

Back