Auto or Stick?

Jliao

:
BO G35 Coupe
My brother recently is looking into buying a M6i, he's debating whether if he should get a 5-speed manuel or 4 speed auto? He personally don't have any preference in neither of it. It seems that to him that at that level it suppose to be an auto. What does everyone else here with M6 have?

This level??? Don't most Porshes and Ferrari's come only in Manual?? The price of the car should not be a factor in manual vs. auto.

If he enjoys driving and wants to feel like he's more in control he should get a manual. If a car is just a way to get from point A to point B with the least amount of effort than he should get the Automatic.

Completely personal opinion more than anything. Test drive both. Or you could get the 5Speed Sportmatic. Best of both worlds.

Kind of...

If you hate the clutch...

But who hates the clutch?

Well, the best of both worlds if you like Automatics. :)

My complaint with the 4-spd automatic, is just that... only 4-spds. They penalize you a gear with automatic in the 4-cyl version. For the sake of engine/exhaust noise and gas mileage that 5th gear would be quite useful.

Mazdaspeed6S said:
Completely personal opinion more than anything. Test drive both. Or you could get the 5Speed Sportmatic. Best of both worlds.

Kind of...

If you hate the clutch...

But who hates the clutch?

Well, the best of both worlds if you like Automatics. :)
my mom has a Mazda 6S
I don't like teh way teh cluctch feels :p

My '01 Protege (teh clutch) feels much better..
But I guess that's something you'd get used to...
I put over 3k miles on my car since I got it..

I drove my moms car for 20miles or so....
She's only had it for a week when I drove it..so..

spazspike said:
My complaint with the 4-spd automatic, is just that... only 4-spds. They penalize you a gear with automatic in the 4-cyl version. For the sake of engine/exhaust noise and gas mileage that 5th gear would be quite useful.
ha AUTOMATIC sux anyways.. :p

Last edited:
all the answer you need (or he needs) is in TX Speed Demons response. What kind of driver is he. Is he the type that enjoys the driving experiance. Milking every bit of performance out of his ride on an occasional basis. Forcing the wheels to chirp when hitting second gear. Or does he just plain drive for the sake of transportation (which is sad IMHO). Once that is answered the choice becomes clear.

I myself didnt like the 5 speed Pro5.. call me crazy, but i didnt see a need for it... a small 4 cyl with 130 hp.. and I didnt want to go crazy on this car.. i would rather buy a 6speed sports car withlots of muscle...which i plan on buying within the year anyway. Since I am will be having two diffewrent types of cars, I didnt see a need for 5 speed ina 4 cyl econo-type car. so i opted for the auto.. and i still like it. My all-year all-day driving fun machine.

SO just get what you feel is better... its that simple.

Last edited:
For most car enthusiasts, that is not even a question. The manual provides you with much better control and feel for the car. It is much easier to be at exactly the rpm's that you want to be and not have to wait for the auto transmission to catch up.

The thing that very much concerns me is the fact that i slowly see the manual transmission slipping away to the paddle shifting style. Now granted, i think that transmissions like the SMG M3 is really great, if you are going to be on a race track, but who doesn't want to rip through the gears of an M3 or any high performance car for that matter. :D I just hope the good ol regular manual transmission doesn't get phased out completely.

M6i or M6s...that sounds cool, makes the car sound all BMW-ish (yes, i am aware its impossible to have a BMW M6, 6 is an even number, thus designating a roadster i believe, right? or at least some non-regular car or truck thingy). anyway, i of course, driving an MSP, prefer stick, but im interested in knowing how the M6's "manu-matic" feels like and whether it offers any gained performance and how fast it can shift through the gears compared to how fast im ripping through the gears. btw, buy stick, unless u live in a city, i dont want to give you a deathwish...

SpicyRay said:
M6i or M6s...that sounds cool, makes the car sound all BMW-ish (yes, i am aware its impossible to have a BMW M6, 6 is an even number, thus designating a roadster i believe, right? or at least some non-regular car or truck thingy). anyway, i of course, driving an MSP, prefer stick, but im interested in knowing how the M6's "manu-matic" feels like and whether it offers any gained performance and how fast it can shift through the gears compared to how fast im ripping through the gears. btw, buy stick, unless u live in a city, i dont want to give you a deathwish...

Too bad though don't put the "i" or the "s" on the car anywhere. They do put a V6 on the lower part of the front doors. I don't think that the Sportmatic tranny offers any performance gains in #'s, but I do think that it shifts faster than a regular stick. There is no clutch to deal with, and you only have to move the stick less than 2 inches in a strictly vertical move to get it into the next gear. Considerably less than a manual...

Last edited:
I'm seriously interested in buying the 6i and if I end up getting it, I'll DEFINITELY go with a manual tranny.

Once you go manual, you will NEVER go back LOL

NYYDYNASTY said:
I'm seriously interested in buying the 6i and if I end up getting it, I'll DEFINITELY go with a manual tranny.

Once you go manual, you will NEVER go back LOL

That's what I said until my wife kept reminding me that she can't drive a stick and that I have to get an Auto. But I got the 5-Speed Sportmatic, so it's kind of fun.

yeah, i've driven an auto-manual tranny's and that's no fun.......dont get me wrong, its better than an auto LOL but still NOTHING like a manual haha

NYYDYNASTY said:
yeah, i've driven an auto-manual tranny's and that's no fun.......dont get me wrong, its better than an auto LOL but still NOTHING like a manual haha

True, but you have to keep the wifey happy. :D

The Sport of Driving...

To me; to truly enjoy the sport of driving, a manual transmission is the only answer. My wife agrees. Her Protege ES is a 5 speed.

Personally I love the manuals, in fact my wife won't drive auto's (isn't she great)

Deciding factor would be how much city driving you do, driving a stick in the city day in and day out = teh suck

Jer said:
Personally I love the manuals, in fact my wife won't drive auto's (isn't she great)

Deciding factor would be how much city driving you do, driving a stick in the city day in and day out = teh suck

Never leave her!

I didn't mind driving my manual everyday, and that's all I do is pretty much city driving. God I still miss that car... :(

Back