check engine light, after 2 weeks 1100 miles

Daotan

6i, yup thats right. took it in on Saturday, hoping its something minor, i stayed well within the break-in limits, not going to make any judgements until i find out what the problem is, got it back last night and, took the car home, sat around for a while, took my girlfriend home and on the way back home guess what? CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!! taking it back in obviously, i will keep you guys posted

i am going to research it myself but if anyone knows the lemon laws in california, i would appreciate your opinion on wether or not it is applicable in my case, i dunno, it hasn't come to that yet, i just wanna drive my car!! this is seriously degrading my enjoyment of the vehicle, BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE THE DARN THING!!!

thanks!

JunkPunch said:
You said "got it back". Did you have it in the first time for a CEL? If so, what was the problem then?

first time was the CEL also, the said they reflashed the ECU, gave me a song and dance about the gas cap not being on properly or maybe i hit the remote too many time in quick succesion, bah

i had to drive a Focus for the weekend! i had a trip to San Diego planned so i drove it (the focus), no choice, well at least I got to put the miles on some other car instead of the 6

Last edited:
Well, it could be the gas cap. A lot of cars throw a CEL if the gas cap is not on right. Some auto stores (like AutoZone) will scan the car for free when you have a CEL, and tell you the cause. That doesn't fix it, but if you are near one and can stop by quickly, you can save yourself the hassle of going to the dealer. Most of the time a CEL will be completely harmless.

agreed the check engine light may be harmless right now but it still needs to be fixed, if i just let it stay on how will i know when there IS something seriously wrong

i am more upset about the time wasted, extra miles driven, and not being able to drive my car

thanks for your replies!!

I would take Junks advise and hit a autozone or checker. That way if the dealer trys to dick you around again you'll know what is causing the CEL.

why wouldn't the dealer just tell me what the code was? its not like they are making any money on me at the service counter, i would think they would want to get rid of me

i actually asked him what the code was the first time and he said he doesn't remember, is he a liar? this time i will insist he tell me

but yeah, if it happens again, its off to autozone for me, and the kid-gloves come off

A CEL came on on my M6 loaner car this last weekend. I called the dealer and they told me it was a known issue with all Mazda6's. Just take it to the dealer, they should be able to reflash the ECU (again) or something.

Ask the dealer for a printout from the scanner on what the codes were. If you keep getting random codes, you might just have a grounding/wiring problem with the ECU. I've seen that happen a bunch of times.

turns out the charcoal canister in the fuel tank is filled with gas, this is what the guy told me

he asked me if i top-off the tank when i fill up, i said no, not usually, i have only filled this car up 2x and both times i know i didn't top off

he kept saying newer cars have this problem when people top off at the pump, and gas gets into the charcoal canister, the charcoal canister is there to control emissions

conincedently thats what he said about the a/c, he said 'newer' cars' a/c doesn't get as cold as the older ones

i say BS, i have had plenty of 'new' cars, and the a/c isn't as bad, furthermore i have never had this 'topping off' problem he is describing

i am so pissed, i haven't seen my car since fri, they also had my car all day yesterday and when i called at 4pm he said the mechanic is just now looking at it, if they are that understaffed they need to hire more mechanics, now they say they have to order the part and i don't get my car until fri (tomorrow)

i dunno, i have been more than patient, its time to make some noise

Last edited:
New cars AC is NOT as powerful as older cars, that is true. Some new cars have ice cold AC but a lot of them are underpowered. My 91 Audi would nearly freeze me to death but my Protege5 and my 03 Jetta just get cold enough. If it is REALLy bad, ask them to recharge the system just to make sure there isn't a leak or something.

The charcoal canister thing sounds strange to me. I haven't heard of that problem but maybe it is a design problem and not just you doing something wrong.

Good luck with all of that, I would make all the noise you can!

i top off my P5 all the time, never had any type of problems with my car, might be design, or it might be the dealer, g'luck with ur car tho

my check engine light came on about the same time....turns out I hadnt clicked tight the gas cap!.....the engine management computer is that sensitive

The problem is an improper programming of the powertrain control module. causing a trouble code to be stored. You should recieve letter from mazda explaing a recall.

One - Fog Light Recall (Could catch fire)
Two - Brake Fluid Reservoir (Could cause the sensor for the fluid to malfunction)
Third - Powertrain Control Module (this thread)

Back