got carbon fiber

carbon1.jpg

no one has any opinions on if the like it or not what the hell.....you peeps are boring wit no insite.... i mean hell i notice people asking if their gonna make carbon fiber hoods for our car and there you go and noone even bothers saying anything about them boring.....:( :(

Looks very cool...Now we can't have BORING peeps...wake up people! Now I know you guys have opinions...WAKE UP! :D

How many MP3/P5 peeps have carbon fib hoods?

If they are finally available then i will get one. How hard are they to install and whats the waiting time to get it in the mail? U know me, full of questions.

I'm not really diggin the eyelids. But plenty of people are asking about the Carbon Fiber hood. So, I'm not sure what you guys are talking about when you say that people don't ask about CF Hoods. It's been a hot topic for about 2 1/2-3 months. Take a look in the For Sale forum. That post started back in November, so maybe some of you guys need to do a search or either browse the board a bit more.:rolleyes:

I think it looks awsome!

Real clean, im a big fan. How much?? ive seen some for sale, but 650 is a bit rich for my blood. 500 would be more my style hahaha And i think a red carbon fiber hood would look awsom on my classic red P5. Later guys

i think the hoods are running about 499.99 and i might be able to get a hook up on them i just dont know about the shipping and handling you know especially since they are carbonfiber....very fragile

thats bs...a properly made CF hood can withstand TONS of abuse. subywans WRX had one, and it was still intact after an incident he had that tore up his front end.

Allright, so my wife asks me. "What do Carbon Fiber hoods do?" I look at her blank faced and say, "They are lightweight and allow for greater heat dissipation, cooling the engine compartment and allowing an increase in horsepower due to the decrease in temperature and the vehicle being lightened." I keep eye contact long enough for her to believe I know what I am saying. Then,
I rush to the P5 forum and ask you guys. What are the benefits of Carbon Fiber Hoods?

mainly they're used for looks, and some (but not a whole lot) loss of weight. a properly made (i.e. hand laid) hood looks REALLY nice...and then you have the carbon kevlar hoods, which mix in a colored threading to add some color to the hood, which looks REALLY REALLY nice. but if your wife believes they add power...and that allows you to get one...then so be it. :D

As nice as the hood looks on Subywans WRX, it is a big debate as to if using one on a WRX really has any benefit. The WRX comes stock with an aluminum hood. So people are right in saying that there isn't much weight saved. After helping Mike put his hood on, I'd say that there is about a 2-3 lbs savings, if even that. One thing is for sure though......Carbon Fiber does look as hell of a lot better.

I'm kinda disappointed. I thought there'd be more than an aesthetic value to it. Maybe I need to see one in person, but based on the photos I've seen on the forum, I don't think I like how it looks. To me it just seems to break up the overall color of the car and draw all the attention right to the hood. Is it a "you wouldn't understand unless you race." thing? Hopefully I'll be able to see one in person so I can really get the idea. Don't get me wrong, if my car was black or red, then I'm sure a black and red CF hood would look HOT. But my p5 is silver, and I've seen the silver p5 with a CF hood and it just looks out of place to me. IMHO

Sean

I gotta agree with slooper...I mean for me anyhow I LIKE how my current hood matches the rest of the paint....perhaps if it was some flashy yellow and blue or something I could understand...but I don't see it as being all that good looking.....more of a way for me to say to people while driving..."hey look at me I've got a carbon fiber hood!"

Thanks BigBlue. I wasn't sure if it was just me. Honestly, whoever is making these CF hoods would probably sell more if they could offer them in color variations that went with the stock paint(e.g. silver and black, yellow and black, etc.) I know they offer a few combinations but it would be great if they offered more.
Even then, though, forking out the half grand just because it looks different (or better) doesn't sit well with me. I like how the P5 looks stock and don't really want to do much to it that doesn't either increase the handling or increase the HP or acceleration.
Once again, JMHO.:D

Back