Looking at an RX-7 w/probs

slenser

Contributor
:
06 6s 5 speed
I have the opportunity to buy an 86 RX-7 with good compression, but it floods right away and won't stay running. Any idea what the problem might be? The guy says he thinks it is the injectors, but I don't know much about these cars. I would have to do all the work on it myself, since I hate taking any cars to a mechanic. This wouldn't be something that would need a rebuild, would it? I certainly don't want to get into something like that! If you can throw out some ideas for me, I would appreciate it. Oh yeah, he's asking $600 obo.

head on over to the Rx7 forum and they'll straighten you out..

flooding is pretty common with the 1st year of 2nd gens.. Especially if you just start then for a couple minutes then cut them off...

if it starts easy when it's cold but hard or impossible when it's warm (acting liek flooded) then it probably doesn't have as good of compression as you thought...

not sure about mileage,body condition,inerior condition along with some other things but if the car is decent and its not the motor you may end up with a good deal. if the car starts but has a hard time staying alive i'm not too sure what to tell you about that. have you ever heard a rotary start up before? can you compare it to that? does it have the whoosh whooosh whooosh then ignition? if it'll start easily but just won't stay running i don't know as if it would be the engine.

in other words, YES, check the rx7 forums and yee shall fine your answeres

the flooding is most likely leaking inj. I have the same car and have seen this problem before, when you shut off the car the pressure in the fuel system forces the fuel through the leaky inj. mazdatrix has a T with a ball valve that can fix the problem temp. but your best bet is to get your inj. cleaned.-- Chris @ SPD Racing

yeah,if thats the only issue just send the injectors out to RC Engineering and have them cleanded and flow tested,or hell,just get new ones if need be. always better to start fresh sometimes

I think I'll get it. It's a bit of a haul, but I have friends with car trailers to help. I think it will be worth it.

Anyone want to buy an 89 lx Mustang for parts (I don't have the title yet) so I have room in my garage? :D

Back