About short shifter

M

<Mark>

Is there any short shifter for the MP5? if yes, pls tell me in here thanks!

Mark,

Presently I don't know of one company that has one out for our car. (This is for a true short throw shifter)

If you are just looking to lower the handle down about 3 inches. You could just remove the extention on the factory shifter. I have heard removing it makes our shift the same as the MP3. Don't know, but I did it. You can see pictures on my site.

Mike http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mazda_protege5

hey thanx for the tip but one question? "#7 I went the extra distance and wanted to use the factory shift
knob. Went to Sears" wat do u mean by the factory shift wat else would i put on there. i noticed that one part snapped off seemed connected to the shaft that u screw the shifter onto. was this wat u r talking about?

Juan,

The actual shift knob has a thread on it. I went to Sears and bought the dye to cut the handle after I was done to re-thread the shift knob on. Some people don't like our know and put aftermarket ones on.

The silver extension is what I took off, the whole piece, not just the threaded portion. I put the shift knob on the black handle which is left.

Mike http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mazda_protege5

mark my name is andy, i work at ultra performance in tucson arizona. I just ordered my short shifter from B&M, they have them in stock look to pay around 120$ if you need one call me at 18004385872 that's at ultra.

hey ben.....i was wondering about lowering the shifter.....does the extention come right off whne you take that plastic thingie off, or do you have to cut it off?

The extension comes off, your choice in how to do it. It's held on by a VERY strong rubber compound, like what's used in suspension and steering bushings. Mike's had great success heating it up, I've drilled holes in them to loosen it up, It really doesn't matter. And, you can re-thread the new top for a really low handle, like Mike said, or you can grind and modify the removed extension to fit so it's not as short, but definitely much better than stock. My way is shown in detail on www.groups.yahoo.com/group/mazda_protege5 under the files section. You can use this for starters or follow it fully. I did mine this way, and ended up with what Mazda should have done in the first place, not really a "short shifter" like a shift kit, but so much better than that "school-bus" feel.

By the way, Mike, you know it was ME who gave you those stars, right?

I still need to remove the extension on my shifter as well, I'm lazy. I'd love to have the short shift kit soon though, maybe I'll just wait for the kit.

Mike, I hooked you up with the stars as well!

thom

I've done it on mine and it's very cool. I personaly think that when you take off the extension it's lower than the mp3. To get ride of the extension you can twist the extension off or, easyer, just warm it a little and it's gona get of almost by itself. Than cut the extra plastic to put your knob back. You have all the info on. www.groups.yahoo.com/group/mazda_protege5

thanks jeff.....i think i'll go with threading the stalk so i can fit the stock knob on there...

Damn, I'm gone for 2 days sick and I'm getting hit hard by two of my good people from my site, thanks guys.

Steve these two have sent you in the right direction. Sttl013 did it one why and Jeff sent you to my site also. Have fun with the car.

Mike http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mazda_protege5/

Back