Lag surges

• Thread starter Asshole Andy Armageddon
  • Start date
A

Asshole Andy Armageddon

Hey do any of you guys notice that when you turn your fan on the car seems to kinda hiccup, and lose a little bit of power? It happens to me everytime I turn my fan on. I can feel it when I shift. And no I do not have the AC on. Its just the normal heater fan. Does anyone know if the the normal fan is pulley driven, and perhaps that why this loss of power occurs. Or have I just been taking too many drugs before I go driving? Thanks

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: Asshole Andy Armageddon ]

Andy,

Depends on the position of your venting of the car. I have discussed this in detail on other boards and was told this at the dealer where I bought the car at. If you have the blower on, with the controller on just your feet, feet & defroster, or just defroster the ac compressor turns on to get rid of the humidity in the car.

Does that answer the question?

Mike http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mazda_protege5

Yes it does thank you very much. I always run mine at the "feet and defrost" position. That makes sense then the surge I feel. But is there some way around that? That's kinda lame when I just want my feet warm and a little defrost action. I don't need the AC to come on. I leave it in that position because it also heats me up the most comfortably, I don't like the fan blowing in my face.

Oh yeah, and man do I feel better that I am actually feeling the surges and its not just the drugs ;)

Today I experienced the "lag surge" for the first time. I have an automatic, and I almost always drive with the defroster on (I bought it after thanxgiving). I have 1700 miles on it. I was accelerating gradually to ~40 mph. Then the tach went from ~5000 down to ~1000 rpm. Seems as though the tranny jumps into neutral and steps down the engine. Then it went back to "normal" (~40 mph at ~5000rpm). Welcome to the club, eh? I don't mind rallying a posse to Mazda about the lackluster performance of the Pro5 automatic transmission. Anybody get word from Mazda about this problem?

NWside, that's been discussed here before too, unrelated to the vents switch thing. I don't know the resolution to that, since I don't have auto, I didn't follow it. Do a search, though, you may find what you're looking for.

Back