Mazda3 with AWD??

temolik

Does anyone know if there are any plans at any point to add AWD capability to any Mazda3 model?

We all know the MX Sportif was FWD, but I have read in a few places a hint that Ford are interested in providing an AWD option in the Focus and shared C-Max platform with the Volvo and Mazda.

So does that mean there is any chance Mazda will do this, and provide some competition to the Aerio and Matrix on that front?

I own a '02 Protege and love it, but would also love to get an AWD vehicle as our six month Canadian winters can make slippery conditions pretty common. And I would love to get another Mazda and specifically I really like the MX Sportif concept and hope the Mazda3 resembles it almost exactly.

BUT - for me it would be incomplete without some kind of AWD capability.

I also know the odds are pretty slim :( , as Mazda has stubbornly resisted adding AWD to the P5 (probably for cost, performance and handling reasons, and also because they tried it before in the late eighties with those 323 hatches and I guess they didn't sell too well).

Anyways - anyone know anything about this??

Insider???

If anything it will probably land on the Volvo models. The cost of the systems would probably put the cars way out of Ford and Mazda's price point.

Your probably right - and the sites where I read about this Ford plan mentioned Volvo more than the Focus or Mazda3.

But cost still isn't entirely satisfying to me as an explanation.

I mean, Suzuki is able to get AWD into the Aerio and price it for $20,195 Canadian. THat's pretty cheap. Toyota puts AWD in the Matrix for a bit more - but just a bit.

Why can't Mazda match that? The above models have been relatively successful here in terms of sales. Imagine how much better the Mazda3 could do (especially as the Protege has been a smash in Canada) since it is at least attractive, which is more than can be said for the Aerio. :D

I agree, I think AWD would be a selling point for me, and it should not increase the price too much as their competition already has it

The Mazda3/FocusII/Volvo S40/V50 platform has been designed to incorporate AWD.

But as tmht says, it will appear on the Volvo models first, and then maybe on specialized versions of the FocusII. Highly unlikely to appear on the Mazda3, and even if it does come, it's a while away.

It all this platform sharing getting on everyone's nerves? The only platform that will be just used by mazda is the RX-8. Stipid Ford.... They are said to be basing at least 10 diffrent vehicles off the Mazda 6 Platfom...

there is going to be a focus AWD when released in 2005
also mazda may release an AWD mazda 3.

Volvo/ford/mazda will all share the 2.3 motor built by mazda, but everyone will be able to tweak it to there own specs.

Cosworth already is working with this motor to start making it 500hp for the upcoming focus 2 cosworth

Yes, if its the 2.3L to which they add AWD, that would make sense. Haven't Mazda already released the AWD Mazda6 wagon in some places in Europe?

If they've already done that, how hard would it be to simply put this AWD 2.3L engine to the Mazda3 wagon/hatchback as well as the Mazda6??

Anyway, I guess it is confirmed that Mazda may add AWD to the Mazda3, but its only something they're debating at this point.

Which means its probably a long way away.

Shame about that. :(

Insider, would you be able to comment?

they probably will have it... just doesnt mean it will get to the US. we never get the good stuff.

THe best case scenario would be if Mazda relase and AWD Mazda3 later in 2004, just like Suzuki released an AWD Aerio hatchback almost a year after the debut of the basic FWD model.

THe thing is Suzuki did it, and reasonably quickly and priced it cheap too.

Mazda have gotta be competitive here!

Especially if the AWD gets on the Fords - then would Mazda want to have their model overshadowed by the Focus? I think not.

Mazda seemed to make sure they kept the Protege up with the Focus when it came out. Ford released Focus wagons and hatckbacks, so Mazda followed quickly with the P5. Ford relased the souped up SVT Focus, Mazda had the MazdaSpeed Protege.

If Ford do do an AWD Focus, in fact I don't think Mazda have much choice but to follow suit. Which would be just great to me!

AWD isn't always AWD
Subarus are full time AWD, you're driving all the wheels all the time.
Systems like the matrix and the aerio are part-time AWD, you drive the rear wheels when the transmission detects slippage of the front wheels. There is some delay while the car figures this out and gets the rears going.
Full time AWD or nothing for me please.

everyone of you screem "bring awd" and ask "why mazda isn't giving us an awd p5?"

if you go back 10 years and look at the pathetic sales figures of the 4WD Protege, you will see

the "awd p5" exists... only in japan

KYREDP5 said:
It all this platform sharing getting on everyone's nerves? The only platform that will be just used by mazda is the RX-8. Stipid Ford.... They are said to be basing at least 10 diffrent vehicles off the Mazda 6 Platfom...

Why stupid? It makes things cheaper and easier to produce.

"Why stupid? It makes things cheaper and easier to produce."

because you'll never see those saved dollars or ease at the dealership, in the prices or in the garage; just fords pockets. Also, you'll see a lot of homogeounous cars that are very 'vanilla' in styling

Last edited:
AWD =
bad gas milage
more expensive (initial cost + repairs)
less reliable
requires more Torque/HP to move (ever driven an old Corrola Wagon AWD?)

All this points in one direction...the Mazda3 would no longer be a base line commuter car. Mazdas already get low gas milage compared to other cars in its class. Its just as fun to drive w/o the AWD and thats what they are pushing for.

Yeah, Toyota did it with the Matrix...but they added about $2300 onto the price tag for it. Plus Toyota doesn't have to worry about reliability (Mazda has a shady track record comparativly). They also get the same gas mileage WITH the AWD as the Protege does without it. And anyone who test drove the base model with AWD will tell you that 123 hp is not enough, nor is the 130 option for $1000 more. Its a slow car/mini-minivan.

True, AWD systems do have a cost in terms of performance and fuel economy. And Mazda has hardly had the best record when it comes to making fuel efficient engines.

But, if the new prelim stats regards the MZR 2.0L and 2.3L engines for the Mazda3 are correct, the fuel economy performance has been substantially improved. Both new engines are do quite well in terms of reaching hwy numbers that match the competition.

For example, assuming the numbers for the 2.3L engine basically match those for the Mazda6, we'll have 9.6-9.3L/100km City/ 6.7L/100km hwy (manual) and 8.3L City/ 6.5L for the auto Matrix.

So if they added AWD to the 2.3L Mazda3 Sport manual, its fuel economy would be reduced to be in the territory of the Subaru Impreza, probably the best AWD compact vehicle out there. Nothing wrong with that.

The Impreza gets 10.6L/100km City and 7.6L/100km Hwy with the auto at 165 hp

The only weakness with the 2.3L engine is with the auto where the numbers without the AWD are about the same as the Subaru's with AWD, 10.5L/100km City and 7.5L/100km Hwy.

But with the manual, they've got some manouevering room...

As for the importance of it, its true that Mazda doesn't need AWD to get good handling out of their vehicles.

The main benefit of it isn't for handling - its for TRACTION.

Most places in Europe, America and Japan don't get winters where you need to worry about dangerous winter road conditions for a substantial part of the year, but in markets like Canada and North Europe ( Sweden, Norway, Russia) where winters last six months or more, and there are plenty of the days in the year where the roads are covered with ice, AWD is a little more important.

Its actually a pretty useful safety feature for winter driving (although it doesn't help with braking skids or turning, but it does help keep grip on the road when accelerating).

I drove my Protege through our last winter here in Calgary which lasted about 7 months, and found that it did not perform very well. It was so damn light and there were plenty of days where the best I could do was roll it along - couldn't touch the gas pedal or else the thing would skid.

I'm sure getting winter tires would have made a big difference over the Potenza all-seasons - but still - I kind of got tired of the skidding.

I love everything I've seen about the Mazda3 so far - I would so much prefer to get that than an Impreza or something the next time I'm car-shopping, but for me, adding AWD and making winter driving a bit safer would be a very important feature and would really matter to me.

I really care about fuel economy too, but for me, safety comes first.

AWD - Even in Canada, it's not worth it IMO at the price it's currently being offered, which is on average $1800-2000 extra over FWD/RWD, depending on the car.

4 winter tires (think Artic Alpin) will do you more good than AWD - cheaper and safer. The problem in winter is NOT starting (I've had an 89 Tercel, 93 Civic before), but rather stopping in time. AWD will NOT help you stop - it simply helps you get moving and so do 4snow tires, which will also stop you.

Back