pERFORMANCE

• Thread starter Robert Palmieri
  • Start date
R

Robert Palmieri

HI I GOT MY P5 ABOUT 4 MONTHS NOW AND ITS GREAT,BUT I FIND 3RD GEAR A BIT SLOW NOT ENOUGH TORQUE, ALSO WHAT RPM'S ARE YOU GUYS RUNNING AT 100KM/H, LET ME KNOW

got my p5 about 4 months ago too. i like 3rd gear the best, i find first way too short and second kinda short as well. 3rd and 4th are great. at 100kph i rev 3000 in 5th. thats usually where i run it in every gear unless i'm driving fast. at 3000 i get 1st-20kph
2nd-40kph
3rd-60kph
4th-80kph

i also heard there was a rev limiter in 2nd at 60. now for sure it's not at 60kph and red line seems to put me at 98kph but i haven't hit a limiter yet.

I am trying to get a p5 (hopefully 2nite) and I was wondering if any of you knew what the aftermarket looks like?

Presently there isn't alot out for the car. There are lowering springs from several companies (racingbeat,GC, eibach). Two major companies are making intakes (Injen, AEM). One smaller company is making a turbo (Thomas Knight). Exhaust out for the car (Bosal, Trust (GReddy in Japan), Toucan. If you are looking for intake, cams or ported and polished throttle bodies and motor stuff, right now I recommend going to Corksport.com. They have been doing this for longer than anyone else that I've heard of.

Mike http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mazda_protege5

Hey guys I am new around here... I picked up my p5 about 6 months ago and am ready to speed up. I am looking for, maybe naively, some kind of power chip. Maybe one of you will know where I can go to find one and if it is worth the time and money. Any help and/or advice would be appreciated.

Hey guys...power chip...well its my experience that performance chips on small naturally aspirated "un-modded" engines are a waste of money...they do very little...not worth it...if you have intake, exhaust, header, cams....and maybe some headwork...then a chip should show a decent improvement....or if you install a turbo system...then it would be a necessary addition.

Don't worry about a chip as the first mod...go for proven things like intake and exhaust...or do a turbo install if you have the dough......hope this helps...

Don’t worry guys and gals…Protege5.com will become your complete resource for everything P5….just have a cold one and enjoy the site in the mean time

For the 1.8t motors from vw and audi….its all about the chips! (turbocharged)
:cool:

I also read somewhere that P5 computers don't have upgradable replacement "chips" in them, but they come pre-programmed. I'm not sure about the facts behind this, or if it's even true. I does seem, however, that if this is the case, the computer is pretty much set the way it's gonna be.

Thanks for the heads up guys...you are saving me a headache....now for the real stuff; compatibility. where is the best place to begin? Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. In addition, I don't want to void my warranty. I understand that the warranty can be voided only if they can prove the aftermarket additions caused the problem. Is this true?

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Lui ]

I've posted this somewhere before, but can't remember where. So, I'll give you the rundown: The warranty can't be voided simply based on the presence of aftermarket gear. The device has to cause the problem, and even then all they can do is refuse that particular claim, not completely void the warranty. Example: you install an intake, that won't do anything to warranty. HOWEVER, if you get a piece of debris inside the intake you're installing and it gets sucked into the motor and caps a piston, then no, they won't cover that. BUT, they DO have to prove that the piece of debris is at fault. Follow me? Somewhere I'll find the actual federal code on this.

ATTACHMENT A
Federal Warranty Laws
1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name....” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

2. Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))

The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. The production warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. The performance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.

Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.

Blam.

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: sttl013 ]

Thanks for the info!! Now to the good stuff. Where to begin? Exhaust, headers, intake. Does one depend on the other? Is there a certain component that needs to be placed first? Etc.

Back