The 170 hp Japenese engine

J

Jeff Cote

Did someone knows something on the 170 hp japanese engine. I saw it on http://www.corksport.com/
It's a 2.0l 4 cyl code # Fs-ZE. I think that it will fit in, but I need some advise. It's approximately 2061 $ ???

i read something last summer that makes me think there's a shop in montreal importing used FSZE engines. you might want to look in the yellow pages. i understand it's a bolt-in swap. i've spent a bit of time searching the boards for a good comparison of the stock 2.0 engine to the FSZE engine. i found isolated comments (ECU, cams, etc), but nothing that seemed complete. it also seems the engine wouldn't comply with emissions standards, which would be a problem in places like ontario where there's periodic testing. good luck with your search. anyone else have any info?

I think that Montreal shop importing the FSZE engine is this one. http://members.attcanada.ca/~dragon64/engine_land.html It's called engine land. They've got a phone number and address too.

Anyne know anything aobut the KF-ZE engine that's listed on this site? It's also 2.0L 170hp.

I also recall reading on another board this summer that someone said FSZE is a weak engine and prone to problems if one tried to add performance parts? Can anyone verify this?

KF-ZE engine is a different format. So no go on that.

As for the FSZE swap. There are a couple of Protege's in the US with this done. However, the problem that is holding it back is the ECU. Word is that CorkSport is working on a reprogrammed one. The FSZE has an increased redline. This is why you need the reprogrammed ECU. You'd have to get one customed right now. And if you know of somewhere around you can get that done, let me know :D.

And whoever said the FSZE was a weak engine and prone to problems should check again. The FSZE is a high compression engine and is very capable. As for performance parts on them, there's not much else you can do with an FSZE that's not already done. You could increase exhaust size and add CAI I suppose. But as for cams and headers, their top notch.

Just my .02 cents.

Will the KL-03 or KL-ZE fit in the PR5 engine bay??

Both are V6's... the 03 (164 HP, 160 Tq) comes stock in US Probes... the ZE is the J-Spec MX_6 motor with 200 hp...

anyone know if they would bolt in??

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: MazdaProbeGT ]

The KLZE will "fit". But not very easy. Someone on another board has one in his Protege, but went through hell putting it in. It will require cutting in the engine bay and , of course, will require replacement of the ECU.

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Kincaid ]

If someone has an idea how to swap this engine...please let me know...Dankx! :D

Well, my idea would be to swap in a Probe V6 engine... find some shop daring enough to do it... I'm sure you can find used KL-03's for about 500 bux... people on Probetalk.com are selling them all the time.

As for the installation, I have no idea how hard it would be. But like kincaid said, someone slapped a ZE in their protege, so evidently, it can be done.

That motor alone would get you ET's in the low 15's at near 90 mph... add some bolt ons, throw in some minor weight reduction, and you're looking at high 14's for somewhere around $1,000???

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: MazdaProbeGT ]

Does anybody know how fast the japanese sport20 run for quatermile and 0-60??

Back