aftermarket speakers........

G

goin2mlb2

Hi everyone, Im looking to upgrade my speakers in my MP5. What size speakers go in the front and rear doors? Has anyone already upgraded, and if so which speakers did you go with? Pros, cons, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scottie,

The speakers in the front are 5x7, and the speakers for the rears are 6 1/2". I have Polk 6 1/2" coaxial in the rear and added Polk 6 1/2" component set in the front.(must customize the 5x7 opening to fit the 6 1/2" speaker.

---Mike---

Thanks for the info Mike. What exactly is involved in getting the 6 1/2's into the front speaker locations. I have installed speakers before, along with a receiver which required major dash modification, so I don't think I would have a problem, but would like to know what Im up against. Thanks.

Hey Scottie, nice to see you've already kicked the shifter extension out of the way. As far as the speakers go, it's just a 5x7 opening. you'll need a plate to fill in the opening that adapts to whatever else you choose. I built my own plate for a set of separates 5 1/4 and tweet. That's all there is, shouldn't be too difficult. The rear doors are 6 1/2 in. By the way, unless you're looking for a powerhouse system with lots of juice, just put in some 5x7's and 6 1/2's. The stock speakers are junk, and just replacing them directly actually makes a huge difference.
Brand choice is up to you. Most folks will stay away from slamming or really pushing any specific brand. Just remember two things about speakers: 1) you get what you pay for, and 2) a bigger magnet rarely means that it's a better speaker.

hey fellas wats up!!!
man ive been busy @ work and haven't hadf time to chat in a while. but i guess i will stick this under this topic since sttlo13 brought it up. SNOMONGOOSE.... i'm lost man, i printed out the info u gave me on how to drop my shifter. well the only problem is getting the tools i showed ppl around here in MD and nobody had the right size, well actually they didnt even have the kit utold me about. this is getting on my nerves now.... i need a short shifter bad, i hope i dont have to wait til they come out w/ one.
=( let me know if u have anymore info u can pull up, because ur definately more helpful than the dealer. haha they r horrible w/ info. :confused: null[*]null

To get at the speaker housings, can you just pop the grill covers off (front and rear?) or do you have to take more of the door panel off?

thanks

Thanks for the help all, especially Douggie, great instructional page you found there (thought you deserved a nice rating), just purchased Rockford Fosgate 5" x 7", well practically stole them for the price i paid, ebay can be a great tool for the thrifty shopper, installation should go without a hitch, thanks all, rear speakers to come soon.

No prob Scottie! Thanks for the rating! :)

We should definitely give credit to the person who created that website. Really did a great job!

Back