AUTO or STICK?? what transmission did you choose??

B

badboyeee

This is another thing ive been debating on what to get (debating about colors too)..

I've been using mostly automatics, but i can drive stick too (but just not a pro yet). Two weeks ago i wanted to get a standard but now i want an auto.
During the two past weeks, ive been driving ONLY my bros and cousins cars (integra 89 & 90) that have stick. Having and feeling the control of shifting gears was fun at first, but now its getting a lil too hideous for me with all the slight hills, going over bumps at the parking lots, and stop and go traffic in the mornings when i go to school. So I just found out driving a stick all the time is not for me. I guess now I perfer the smoother shifting and ride of an automatic. I felt relieved when i finally got to drove an automatic again, when i drove my sisters 99 v6 accord.

Some other questions:
When i test drove the p5 auto, i forgot to test the accelaration. Ive been mainly paying attention to the handling. Is the auto acceleration really that bad that some people say it is?

Is it really much easier to drive newer manual stick cars than older cars?

don't even consider getting the auto. the acceleration is weak, and don't even think about performance upgrades. i never drove a stick until i picked up my p5 and i've had no problems ist very easy to drive.

STICK is definitley my first choice. Automatic is so boring and everyone i talked to that had an automatic wished they could have a standard. Everyone has a little trouble with standard at first but then it becomes second nature driving and shifting. If ur doing performance upgrades in the future stay away from auto's. Youll miss out on the wicked burnouts. :D

definately get the stick. like korey said, after you drive it for a while, it just seems like driving. then after that you'll feel wierd driving an auto. and, don't worry about smoother shifts in the auto, once you got the hang of the clutch, shifting is much much smoother with a stick.

Well, my dilemma is that my wife is going to be the daily driver with our P5 and SHE is sick of driving stick, so it was "OUR" decision that we would get an auto. My question is how difficult does that make mods or is it just a little thing?

My (well I mean my wife's) :D P5 has an automatic. I/we love the ease of driving it. I myself have a 5 speed CRX Si. I do love a stick for the fun factor but it gets real old real quick in bumper to bumper traffic after a long day. The auto p5 is a dream come true in traffic... get in and forget about it. Besides the P5 is not and never will be a performance vehicle (sorry guys truth hurts :D ) Oh, and on another note I myself prefer an auto if we ever get a turbo for the P5.... ever drive a Buick National? All autos and for a reason. Brake boost launches are great! :D
later,
Charles Smith

I have an auto, and just for fun while going somewhere I squared off against a friend in an MP3 (manual of course) and the off the line acceleration was really pathetic, even though we have the same engine compared to my cars slugish launch it's like he had a V8. Though I don't really mind sence this is my dayly driver, and one embaressing loss is nothing compared to countless hours of easy driveing.

hey there, ok, I have two other friends with a p5 one is auto, his parents, we decided to race from a light just to see if stick is better (which I know it is) anyway I was about 1.5 car lengths ahead, my car was stock at this time, just shows that stick kicks ass, and he was pushing everything he had out of it. Also to the guy that said the p5 will never be a performance car, If you can turn a little piece of s%*t honda civic into a performance car anything can be a performance car, Civic are the worst cars available who gives a crap if they have the most aftermarket parts available they have been out since the late 70s, The p5 is bran new you can turn a geo metro into a performance car, already the p5 can outhandle most cars on the road. so To you who doesn't think it is a performance car go to honda and rice up there vehicles because that is all they are good for minus the s2000, love that car, anyway not trying to be rude.

Also to the guy that said the p5 will never be a performance car, If you can turn a little piece of s%*t honda civic into a performance car anything can be a performance car, Civic are the worst cars available who gives a crap if they have the most aftermarket parts available they have been out since the late 70s, The p5 is bran new you can turn a geo metro into a performance car, already the p5 can outhandle most cars on the road. so To you who doesn't think it is a performance car go to honda and rice up there vehicles because that is all they are good for minus the s2000, love that car, anyway not trying to be rude.

I agree you can "turn" any car into a performace vehicle but is it worth the cost? To some it may be... for some like me it is not. I have been there and done that with many vehicles. I have had 3 civics, 2 Buick Grand Nationals (one that ran 11s) and a 12 second 1999 Dakota R/T. (many other cars and beaters in between) Because I have owned other high performance vehicles I am a little biased I guess. This P5 we love but know it is all show and very little go. Wish it had a turbo! :D
Charles Smith

If you get the auto, i will find you and kick you in the head! thats all....

If you are in traffic get a stick. I also drove a stick and got bored. Every ******* second clutch, shift. Even if you get a manual you probably won't be running 15's with all the upgrades you throw on it and the cost will be higher than a mustang which runs 13-14 stock. I agree with charles smith, you can mod it but it still not a performance car. Where have you seen people turn civic into a performance car? What was teh cost?

mines silver and 5speed...and lover every bit of it.....zoom zoom baby :D :D :D :D :D

BTW, I have never seen a Civic Performance car. All I have seen is Civics with Mufflers, intakes and dumb looking pillar pods with shift lights. Just a word of advice, if you need a shift light to know when to shift a Japanese 4 cylinder, you shouldn't be driving a stick, and I question your overall ability to drive.

Just a little story... I met some kid one time with a riced out Civic. Of course, I was busting his balls when I was asking him about his Pillar pods, shift light, and coffee can sized muffler. So When I asked him what he had in it, he says "it's not the stock engine" ...
I say, "oh really, what is it" ...
he says to me" I have intake,exhaust and a chip" ... So i say "and what kind of motor? You said it wasn't stock?" ...
He says "no, it has the engine that came with the car, just had work done to it" ...

I said"what motor work?" .... He says "intake, exhaust, chip, also I put pulleys in it." ...

FYI ... A motor with all the bolt on Ricey goodies is still STOCK!!!! maybe the intake box isn't stock with that vaccuum hose you got attached to your throttle body, but your motor is stock!!
Just cause you put that Folgers coffe can on your exhaust pipe dosen't mean your not stock anymore, you just are advertising for Juan Valdez!

Non stock motors are "WORKED". Believe me, I have NEVER seen in real life a Non-stock, performance Civic! Maybe in a magazine, or in that crazy riced out, far fetched, teen boy fantasy movie --The Fast and The Furious.
Gimme a break!

well i dont plan on doing any performance modifications and doing any racing with this car. i cant afford to do stuff like that hehe. but if i could, then ill probably be getting a different car.
and i wont be missing out on driving stick since my bro, my cousins, and my dad has stick. so whenever i get an urge to drive stick, i can just drive there cars.
just as long the auto acceleration isnt as bad as a corolla's or geo metro's, and as good as a civic's, then ill be happy.

Can the auto p5 be redlined if you floor it at start??

but yesterday my bro said he would help me out by paying the insurance (all or some, i dunno) if i get a stick. if thats the case then i wouldnt mind getting a stick hehe.

plus i just realized that the car im driving now (for 2 weeks ive been driving my cousins 89 LS integra to school, my real car is not in working condition at the moment) is the hardest stick car i ever drove. so thats why ive been getting turned off by stick. my bro's integra 90 isnt bad, and my dad's 94 toy p/u is really easy (i used that truck to learn).

damn now im stuck again, should i get a AUTO or STICK?!..ugh!!!!!! :mad: :confused:

I have both a 2000 Civic EX auto and a P5 5- speed. I test drove a P5 auto, however, and it was a dog compared to the Civic. I think Honda's Auto's may use less power than other car makers, but that is just speculation only because I have one, and have driven other 130hp auto's. (like the P5) and regular Protege. Stick is the way to go IMO, unless you do a lot of stop and go driving, or sit in heavy traffic. Then an auto is priceless.

Plus the Protege's manual tranny is REALY easy to shift, Clutch is light under your foot, and throws aren't that long.

gotta go with the stick. This is my first 5-speed and it's really easy to drive; a lot more fun too.

Just My .02 Cents.....
I was advised by a Mazda Mechanic (which happends to be a very good friend of mine) not to buy an automatic transmission. He told me all kinds of reasons why I should not go with an auto. The most important point being that auto's are more likely to give you problems in the long run than standard transmissions.
I took his advice and bought a standard Red Zoom Zoom and I have no regrets. The Clutch and shifter is so well designed that people riding with you won't even notice it's a stick.
:cool:

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: CharlieP5 ]

what do you call a "performance car" Have you ever heard of a hybrid changeover, switching engines, happens all the time, I've seen civics beat out vipers only because of a engine changeover.

Back