Crappy gas mileage

G

gene in cincinnati

I am a little disappointed.

I just drove from Cincinnati to Knoxville, TN and only got 22.3 MPG. The total trip was 281 miles using 12.6 gallons. Yes, I averaged around 82 mph through the mountains, but I expected better mileage than 22.3 MPG.

Am I wrong here or should I expect this kind of gas mileage?

i wish i could get that many miles to a tank ive been getting 220-250 depending on how much i romp it.....i have had it for almost 4 months about 2300 miles so hopefully with a little more mileage the mpg will go up

Gene,

You may recall that I don't have my P5 yet, but from what I've read on other posts people are getting higher than what you calculated. Maybe it was just because you were going through the mountains. Were you downshifting a lot to keep the car moving uphill? That's all I can think of. By the way, thanks for your input on the color issue.

Matt

if u continue getting low mpg, i think someone from here was able to go back and get it warranty serviced and got it fixed (something to do with the emissions system?).

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: badboyeee ]

my first tank i got about 25mpg i'll keep you posted if it gets better or worse. keep in mind that i live in canada and had to do some conversions to get that number so it might not be right on.

First Tank, 28mpg, all stop and go orlando traffic.. No AC..

- Miker

Good questions, Matt. I did not downshift once the whole trip, which was really surprising - I was really happy how the PR5's engine handled the inclines!

I guess the mileage could be low since I was going up the mountains. I'll post my mileage going back to see if there is a difference.

Oh, on a side note, the car is MUCH quieter with the roof racks removed!

you think u guys have it bad.. i am only getting about 16mpg.... and tahts highway... only 450km per tank!

Whoa, Ya'll are doing something all sorts of wrong... ;) You sure people are not siphoning your tank? ;)

- Miker

Coming back to Cincinnati, I averaged 85 MPH and got 27.2 MPG. I think it's the terrain.

first of all 450km to one tank is no where near 16mpg i don't know where you got that number. proper conversion is
km/L/.354=mpg
my second tank with almost all city driving in snow was 28.4mpg up from 25mpg on my first tank. i think i'm getting better at driving a stick though.
the sticker says 29mpg city its not that far off.

I was getting 27-28 MPG when I first got my P5. I've been getting under 22 MPG recently, though. It sounds like I'm not the only one getting poor mileage, though.

This is after the dealer put in a bad oil filter and I ended up running really low. I've had the same driving conditions the whole time but I was still breaking my car in when I was getting 27-28MPG and now I've been driving harder. I kept it under 3500 RPM (and mostly under 3000 RPM) when breaking it in. The last tank of gas I tried to drive more conservatively again but still got under 22 MPG. Does this sound like something to have looked at or just differences in driving styles?

Gyre, i wish i know the answer to your question, but i am getting below 22mpg too. (21.35mpg to be precise) This is my third tank and i have run-in the engine already. I don't think its the driving style in my case, it may just be lots of city driving. I am driving an automatic btw.

My combined milage is 26-27....and I am pretty aggresive in my driving style...there is no telling how high it might be if I were to granny the car around for a tank full....but I just dont' thing I could stand to drive it that long like that to find out. the engine just likes it so much over between the 4ooo to 6ooo marks on the tach!

I called the service manager at my dealer. They so owe me after my oil filter blew a gasket 400 miles after they put it in.

I do alot of highway driving and get 30MPG on average in my 5 speed MP5... I rarely use the cruise control, and maintain 80MPH for ~30 minutes everyday going back and forth to work. I have gotten as high as 33MPG.

My P5 automatic

gas.jpg

good job with the table, chuck. oh, and don't :( with your at, with that much city driving, its a good idea to have at. btw, how are those cargo mats and net, are they handy?

Latest posts

Back