Breakin

H

happy_gilmore

Hmm. I sure here alot about people still breaking in there P5 engines.
The manual and my mazda rep said there is no specific break-in required now adays. Just dont race the crap out of your engine he said for the first 1K.

So why do I keep hearing all these strange breakin rituals? What have you guys done. I just try not to take mine over 4500rpm much.

i know there is no specific break-in period in the manual, but I went easy on my P5 for the first 1600k just to be safe. my salesman told me. It also equals about 1000mi. so I am good.

The manual does say there is no breakin period BUT it does basically say to take it easy on it for the first 600 miles. Probably just for the piston rings to set properly. For 1500 miles I didn't let it above 4k rpms. Better safe than sorry on large investment such as a car. Also a good tip on "breaking in" the engine is to not keep the engine at constant rpms for a long period of time and avoid stop and go traffic.

ok, i'll add some voodoo break-in rituals. when i'm driving on the highway, i vary my speed every 5 minutes as suggested above. as well, every 10 minutes or so, i'll take my foot off the gas and let the car coast for a few seconds so that the speed drops about 20 mph. according to my auto repair manual, "during the coast period, heavy vacuum in the cylinders will draw additional oil up around the rings" which helps them to seat. when slowing down, watch for cars behind.
as well, i change the oil and filter at the end of the break-in period.
mazda suggests a break-in period of 1000 km for the protege, nissan suggests 1600 km for the sentra, and hyundai suggests 2000 km for the accent.

Back