P5 --- Jetta Wagon 1.8T

G

Greg S

OK, I've got a problem here. The wife and I need a need car with more than 2 doors. Sport cars, two adult and a child just don't cut it. Since my MX-6 is 3 years older than her GSR we've decided that it will be the one to go. now here's my problem.
While I really like the new P5 adn love the way it handles it really is lacking in the power department for me. Both of our cars are in the 170+ hp range, modified of course, and the drop in power for me with the P5 is a big one.
I've been comparing specs on both. The P5 is sportier, has a better wheelbase to body length ratio adn looks better. The Jetta has more power, more cargo room and has more aftermarket support to really get power out of it, I only live 40 miles from Neuspeed, but will cost me approximately $4000 USD more.
Has anyone else had a chance to compare both cars or have any insight on either. I know I can make a turbo or supercharger for the P5, but it is nice to have the equipment stock.

Hey I used to have a 1.8T Golf, but it was a 2000 and it only had 150hp (to my understanding, the new 2002 1.8T are the same engine, just a different chip that gives higher boost?) and well, I didn't do any mods to it other than lower it, so it doesn't really feel that fast. Of course, you can always chip it and stuff, but, yeah, I dont' think it's worth $4000USD to get the 1.8T wagon unless you're really serious about speed.

I also used to feel that a strong selling point of VW was that their interiors seemed a lot better than most other economy japanese cars out there, but I gotta say the P5 is actually pretty nice inside.

I have to agree. A strong selling point to the VW is the nice interior. I think it still holds that strength above the P5 as well as a knock in the engine and the ability to tune it. The '02 Jetta does have a new chip in it to increase the boost by a couple of pounds. You can take a step beyond that and safely put another chip for 200hp without changing the exhaust or intake blah blah blah. There are many upgrades available for the Jetta, but the exterior styling is far superior for the Mazda!!!

Back