adding an amp to stock deck

N

noon

Anyone done this? I know that you would need a speaker level converter(adds RCA outputs to deck). Would you have to pull the deck to tap into the speaker wires or, can you tap into them from another location? Which wires would you need to tap into?

I've been woundering this myself, I dont' mind the stock deck, I like how the controls are layed out and all that. But I feel the speakers need replaceing and an amp is a must too. Any information would be great.

You will need the Speaker Level Converter to get the RCAs for the amp. I was able to get to my stereo wires by removing the glove box and reaching behind the stereo. It was tight and took some time, but I didn't want to mess with removing the dash/AC controls to take the radio out. I reached behind and unhooked the plug in the back of the radio and then worked in the glove box area. Good Luck.

dont waste your time wait untill you buy an aftermarket cd player...sound quality will be horrible....not to mention the loud thump when your radio comes on and goes off

Two things- first, there are amplifiers available (PPI, ADS, among others) that can accept speaker level inputs directly into the RCA inputs. Use the speaker+ as the center pin and ground the shield to the radio chassis. These higher level amps use a very high imput impedence, and are capable of accepting the high voltage input without causing the noise associated with most high/low adapters. There's also a remote pin on the back of the stock deck, so that eliminates the thump instead of usung the ign. lead for remote turn-on. I forgot which one, use a multi-tester to find it. The end result is suprisingly good sound quality (I use the PPI amps, so sound quality had BETTER be good!!).
Second, you can remove your deck without pulling the whole dash. There are two pieces of trim on the sides, they snap in place. Remove them and you'll see the spot for two pairs of Ford/Saab, etc. din-removal tools.

I have a 2002 protege 5.. How do you remove the stock stereo to put in an after market unit? I don't see any screws in the dash and don't want to break it while trying to take it out..

I did this and had this setup for a while. I've had compliments on it as well. You need a LOC (Line Out Converter) and, just wire up the amp like you normally would. It's easy to pull the stock radio out of a P5. If I were you, I'd pull it out, it makes it much easier because it decreases install time. I, also, did my wiring through the glove compartment area, and it's a tight fit and took sometime. But, the sound quality is great. No whine or any other sounds. I don't see how you could get any of that. But, people use to compliment me on the sound because it turned out better than they expected.

(How I was able to take out my stock radio: Take off the glove compartment and stretch your hand into the radio area. Place your hand on the HU and feel around for a metal plate on it's side (There's one on the passenger's and driver's side). Push it in, it holds the radio from moving forward. Push it in and push the radio out a little bit, just to keep that plate from popping back into place. Go to the driver's side and do the samething. Then just put your hand behind the HU and push it out. If your arms are skinny enough (like mine) you can get in there. I'd take pictures but my digital camera is broken.)

Last edited:
Back