DVD Navigation System

G

gene in cincinnati

ctyin.jpg

Does anyone know who makes the JDM DVD Nav System? I would like to find out if they have an English model that we can install.

Thanks!

The two options on the JDM market unit are Carzzoni and Kenwood, this is from the Sport20 brochure. Carzzoni is actually Pioneer. Unfortunately they don't offer as many units here in the US as they do in Japan. My brother-in-law has a portable DVD based GPS system with TV similar to a portable DVD player that he uses in his cars so he doesn't need to install one in each car.
The on pictured looks like it is the Pioneer unit.

man i want a right hand driver car so bad.....i wish i could import one over here

It's probabaly for the Japanese market only. A little custom trim panel, and the Pioneer 6000 screen and DVD-Nav would look superb. Probably as good as the one in the picture, depending on the ability of the fabricator. I did one in an Integra, with a similar dash opening to ours, and it looked awesome. I think for a DVD-Nav, that would be the way to go, since you can also watch DVD movies on it as well. I don't think the Alpine lets you watch DVD's on the same unit, at least the first-gen DVD Powernav didn't. Pioneer's DVD-Nav plaver is 1-din, and could go below in front of the cupholders with a little modification.

I like the aluminum trim pieces around the center console instead of our fake carbon peices. Maybe we could import those!!!

Originally posted by sttl013:
<STRONG>I don't think the Alpine lets you watch DVD's on the same unit, at least the first-gen DVD Powernav didn't.</STRONG>

It still doesn't but that's because it is a hide-away unit so you still have to get the DVA-5205 for in dash use.

Damn, I didn't even notice the aluminum trim! That looks really good. I think our carbon fiber needs to go. You know, I've got 3 Mazda dealers near my house, I'm going to find ONE that can import JDM parts. They'll probably be pretty spendy though.

The aluminum trim rocks. Keep everyone posted if you find out how to order the trim.

Damn, that set up is hot. My mother-in-law is thinking of getting me a DVD player for the P5 and im stuck as to where to go or is Pioneer the best thing to work with because someone told me that the company "Eclispe" is the one to go with. One more question,..do i have to have a head unit equipped with a screen to hook up an additional TV? Sounds stupid but i've heard dumber questions here like is a P5 better than a Corolla-S. :D

Hey Korey, not a stupid question at all. The Eclipse piece wouldn't be good for Navigation, their Nav piece is still CD-Rom based, meaning 9 discs for the US, more for Canada, and doesn't use moving map. It uses voice guidance and arrows for direction. The Pioneer has a better picture, larger screen, and has DVD-Rom based Nav, with moving map, and Pioneer's DVD-Nav can also play DVD movies.
You don't need an in-dash screen to hook up additional screens. You can set up a video system just about any way you want (overhead, visors, headrests). A lot of manufacturers have come out with Video stuff this year.

wait are those pieces available? hmmm.... i rather have them seats! look at the two tone on it. i wonder can anyone import those!
if so email me!
jlee218@cogeco.ca

Installed Pioneer AVIC-9DVD and AVX-7300 in MP3

Install wasn't too bad. Most time spent making sure all the part were accounted for and that we didn't mess up the dash.
Major Problems:
1- Had to move Kenwood unit down so screen wouldn't cover it
2- DVD installed in glove box which required some cutting on the inside of glove box door.
3- Still can't find the VSS (Speed sensor). Have to see the mazda folks on that. It works but it would be better with that connected.

I have attached pictures have fun and let me know what you think!

lohan

Attachments

• dvd_4.gif
    dvd_4.gif
    94.1 KB · Views: 680
From DEI Directechs:
speed sense wire: orange or green/red, pin #58 of ECM
ECM is located behind the passenger side of the dash.

Try that one.

ECM Pin #58 - Thanks

:D
Great! Thanks for the help. There is also supposed to be a VSS lead at the instrument cluster that feeds the speedometer.

Ciao,
lohan

Another Pic of the Pioneer DVD nav screen installed in MP3

Here's another pic. with the screen closed. If anyone wants more pics or the glove box installation and a short writeup on installation tips let me know.

Attachments

• dvd_11.gif
    dvd_11.gif
    92.9 KB · Views: 438
can u attach all the pics and info about it... and do u still have the STOCK DASH POCKET???? if you dont want it can i have it???

Pics and dash pocket

Well I'll try to post them on yahoo or somthing. This forum has a limit of 102K per attachment. Most of my good pics are way bigger.

As for the dash pocket. Sorry , Im keepin all the stock parts in case.

Lohan

Back