my '81 rx7

i have been havin trouble with my '81 rx7 for quite sometime now, it all started when my battery kept draining. i got a knew one and the problem persisted. now since i have been slacking on maintenance, other problems have popped up. the choke lever will not come out first of all, the car idles at 4000 rpms. so overall i was wondering if anyone has run into any similar problems and if they can help. i really need to know about the idling and the battery, i think it may be something electrical and if anyone knows any tricks to check it out, i would be much obliged.

for the battery, something is defiantely draining it. I wish I could tell you where to start, but there are so many things it could be. Hmmm...where's ZoomZoomH when you need him? :D

ok. if your battery just dies after a couple days/weeks. its not the battery, its your alternator. if the alternator isnt charging right your car is running solely off of battery, and thats never good. bring it to a shop. have them check the alternator. and then replace the battery with the new alternator. problem should stop for good.

Easy way to check if your alt is bad, Start the car, diconnect the negative terminal. If the car dies, your alt is bad. :D If it says running, you got a short somewhere that is killing the batt, while the car is shut off.

I used to own an '82 RX7 and I can offer a few words of wisdom. As stated above, check the alternator. The stock alternator on the 79-85 RX7's were weak. You can upgrade to an alternator from the 84-85 RX7 GSL-SE. It is a direct swap and nothing has to be modified. Also, check the wiring. More often than never, the ground wire coming off the battery has a poor ground to the engine block and will cause starting/charging problems. It may not even hurt to replace the wiring anyway. Hope this helps.

*edit* Also, for your choke issue, check choke solenoid to make sure it is not sticking. Follow the choke cable to the carb and make sure it's not getting hung up anywhere. If you are idling high, this might be your problem.

Last edited:
can you give me some advice, you come highly recomended by mazdaspeedgirl, if you give me some advice, or give me some tricks, it would be appreciated

eh, I don't know too much regarding 1st gens, I'm just somewhat knowledgable about 2nd gens (still learning :p )

sorry I couldn't be of any help :(

have you tried rx7club yet?

boostisgood said:
Easy way to check if your alt is bad, Start the car, diconnect the negative terminal. If the car dies, your alt is bad. :D If it says running, you got a short somewhere that is killing the batt, while the car is shut off.

If you do this, you WILL have to get a new alternator. Alternators are designed to be charging the battery...or at least flowing current thru it. If you do this, there is a VERY good chance you will destroy the voltage regulator in the alt.

By the way- I have a 1st gen and a 2nd gen

I own an '85 GSL-SE, and a '94 FD3S so I know just a little about the car. The statement about the disconnecting the battery when the car is running is accurate. If you want the best info on 1st Gens on the web go to www.mazspeed.com Its a first gen only site and alot of the guys do ITR and SCCA so they know their s***.

Back