Oil Filter?????

F

fastdrvr23

I am getting ready for my first oil change, and wanted to know what brand oil filters you guys have used and what results you had with them?

Also, I figured I will go ahead and switch to Mobil-1 Synthetic while I am at it. Thanks for the input!

In my experience, I really haven't seen much of a difference in what type of oil/filter I have used. You don't have to listen to me but, I just usually go with regular oil and filters. The only thing that I find does make is a difference is my K&N air filter.

any decent oil filter should be fine 23. i've been using fram in my cars for years. going with synthetic is a good decision, it helps a lot.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have used Synthetic oil in my truck for a while and also in all my former cars. Anyways, I am just making sure about the oil filter for this one, since it is so new. I figured anything with an anti-drainback valve would be fine. Does anyone out there use an actual mazda filter from the dealer?
With my former cars I've always tried to stick with OEM (AC DELCO for my truck for instance), and was wondering if anyone else had for their P5. Thanks!

I use Mazda filters with my 88 Mazda 626 (which will be replaced once my P5 comes in). Previously I had used Fram but was told to switch due to the anti-drainback feature. Apparently Fram filters do not have this feature. I haven't done extensive research on it, but I was told this by two shops and the Mazda dealer. I'm thinking of trying out K&N's oil filter once it's time for my first oil change. If anyone has experience with this filter let us know.

Matt

Hey Hurricane I briefly looked at the site you posted and it was most informative. However, I don't know what I think about changing my oil every 15000 miles. I'm probably missing the point of the article(s)but maybe I'm just too stubborn to change. Especially when that change can potentially ruin the engine. What was your take on the site? Just curious.

Matt

Hokie,
I've read thru it several times and some of it is hard to digest and understand. I believe with some of the advanced synthetics you can change your interval, but I've never went up to 15,000miles. I used AMSOil synthetic in my last vehicle ('99 Tacoma) and I changed the filter at 8,500 miles and then a full change around 11-12k. I then sent off my oil to be analyzed by an independant company and it came back with very high marks, and could have be ran another 5-8k before it needed to be changed. But then again I'm stubborn too and I'd rather just spend the money and be safe....I plan on changing out my P5 to AMSOil when its due....they have a cheaper full synthetic that I use in my wifes Honda and it requires a 7.5k change, I'll probably just use that....

My 3-series has synthetic motor oil and according to the scheduled maintenance plan/onboard computer, I am to change the oil every 15,000 miles. I have 36,000 miles on my car and I have only had two oil changes.

Back