anyone know the specs on the STOCK STEREO SYSTEM?

B

badboyeee

anybody? (like the brands of the cd player and speakers, the sizes, how much power, etc)

Also what would you recommend to upgrade first to the stock stereo system?

I'm kinda dissapointed with the stock system, but I can't afford to change everything at once. I'm not planning to install amps or subs. Also don't need it to be super loud. Just solid, clear, crisp, quality sound.

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: badboyeee ]

Don't know much, but here's what i know about the radio:

Brand: Probably Panasonic
Power: sucks :)

About the speakers:

Front: 6.5" or 5x7"
Rear: 6.5"
Power: No comment. It's a joke :)

I would recommend upgrading the whole thing at once. I've tried upgrading the speakers first, but the head unit just doesn't have enuff juice to drive them. After upgrading to an aftermarket head unit, it's MUCH MUCH better. Subs/Amps will be coming soon.

But, if you're really tight in cash, then I would suggest you to upgrade the speakers first. You can still get pretty okay sound, nothing exciting though.

What's wrong with replacement 5x7? I'm not sound competitive or anything, and I think they did the trick nicely. Plus I can just leave them in the car and forget about 'em.

twa,
I think he's just saying for the best sound do a component set....nothing beats a good 6.5" component set....but for less expensive options you could always put in a coaxial 5x7 or 6x9 or something..

of course u can replace it w/ 5x7 its ure car the only reason i said that is exactly whut they said better sound....

thanks for the replys

i heard the front speakers are stock/generic speakers while the rear ones are decent kenwood speakers... true?

An easy upgrade would be replacing the speakers. Front first would be my suggestion if not both at the same time. The problem with most OEM speakers is that each speaker is made of one paper cone with a rasied center edge to improve the high frequecny response (which doesnt really work well). In coax or component speakers there is some type of crossover (at the very least a capacitor acting as a high pass filter to prevent low frequencies from damaging your tweeter). Coax speakers would be the easiest solution since they do not require custom mounting solutions. The benefit from these types of speakers is having different speaker components (sub/mid and tweeter) handling the frequency range they are most capable of handling. You will experience a more seperated sound. Highs will be improved the most while the mids and lows a result of the efficiency of the aftermarket speakers you purchase.

All in all replacing speakers will improve highs. If you want more lows you need some energy source to move air (power amplifier). Also something you may want to take into consideration is direction. Low frequency is unidirectional meaning you cant tell wher it is coming from. Highs and mids do not have that luxury. A tweeter on the dash will sound much better than down at your feet, if you decide to go with component systems.

Joe

badboyeee said:
thanks for the replys

i heard the front speakers are stock/generic speakers while the rear ones are decent kenwood speakers... true?

I don't know where you heard it from, but it's a definite FALSE. Same cheap paper cone crap like the front speakers.

Not odd at all. Ford/Mazda have been using 5X7/6X8 speaker sizes for some time now. I would agree with some other posts that I have read. If you want the good sound quality, use a replacement speaker of the same size but better materials. If you want better sound, use a round speaker mounted on a plate that will cover the hole. If you want the best sound quality, use a component set and mount them on a plate in the factory location or mount the tweeter up a little higher in the door.

Later
Griff

Back