Car Detailing and Paint care Info

R

Racer 5

On another Thread, "Thin Paint" I have been giving some tips on car/paint care. I have credentials with detailing ~~ read the other thread for my resume. ;) . I am starting this thread to invite more care care questions, so I can keep closer track to the questions. Also, If anyone else has a tip or something I miss, or you disagree about, feel free. We all learn something new everyday!
Mike

I was just wondering what you thought of that product called the "Water Blade". It's essentially a piece of medical grade silicone with a handle, used for drying off a car. Have you ever used one? If not, what do you usually use to dry a car off?
I usually just use clean terry towels, but figure if there is something better I might give it a shot.
Thanks,
Will

I have used the Water Blade before, and they work very well, I especially like to use them on larger vehicles -- SUV's, vans, trucks, boats, etc. I use a synthetic chamois for my car. They work great. Better than a natural chamois if you ask me. Couple tips for any kind of drying~~~If you use terry towels, make sure they are not laundered with liquid fabric softener, use those dryer sheets. The liquid leaves the fibers moist, thereby reducing its drying effectiveness. Also, whatever you use to dry, dry in long, continuous strokes. Any side to side movements will cause streaking(this applies for windows also. Also, when you are doing your final rinse of your vehicle, use the hose with the spray nozzle off. This technique allows the water to "sheet" off of the vehicle, aiding in expediting your drying time.

By spray nozzle off, I mean take the nozzle off the hose, use just the soft stream of water that comes out of the hose with NO NOZZLE. After I posted, I realized that This may have been a little confusing, I really didn't explain it that well, sorry.

I DO A TON OF HIWAY DRIVING PROBABLY 50000KM PER YEAR. SO TO SAVE FROM STONE, BUG AND TAR DAMAGE I OPTED FOR THE BRA THAT MAZDA OFFERS. WHAT MAINTENANCE CAN BE DONE TO MAKE SURE THAT THIS HELPS ME INSTEAD OF COMPLETLY RUINING MY PAINT?

Here's a tip that some of you might already know...if not, then I can vouch and tell you that it works great.

For cleaning glass, save your newspapers (they last much longer, and are cheaper than paper towels and such). Spray the glass with window cleaner, and then use the newspaper to wipe the cleaner away. There is something in the newsprint or whatever that for the most part, does not leave any streaks or anything. A professional window washer for buildings told me this trick, and I prefer it over paper towels. whenever the paper starts to get overly wet, just open up the next section and keep goin!

If your skeptical, try it, and let me know what you think!

HOTTROD, In order for your bra not to defeat its purpose, make sure the surface it will cover is completely cleaned and waxed before putting it on. Also, make sure that the bra is applied correctly, so it is not loose. any rubbing or slapping from a loose bra will mar your finish. I would also reccomend that you remove it when you wash, and always apply wax to that area, even if you aren't waxing your whole car. Bras can trap moisture, making black mold spores, which are ugly, and if left too long, can be difficult to remove.

Craig, I agree with you on the newspaper thing. It is an excellent "trick". However, I usually use just plain water with a terry towel, unless the windows are very dirty. Works just as well as spray stuff and paper towels, and costs less!! remember to buff windows with a dry cloth also when done to eliminate those streaks you see when you windows get fogged up. I have used the foam spray cleaner by Spray-away, that stuff is a saint. No matter how you apply or remove it, it dosen't streak, but it costs $.

Yeah, i was also interested in getting the bra for my 5 but i figured it wasnt worth trying to get the piece of hood that faded back to normal. It would be practical to use it on road trips as i plan to make them back and forth to NY this year. I personally would only use newspaper on the windows. Doesnt the ink tear up the paint finish? I heard it did. I know one thing...to keep a brilliant shine on the ride, use Meguiars. Meguiar's wash solution and their Gold class wax. Nothing beats it! :D

The main benefit of using a Newspaper to dry the window off is that it doesn't leave any lint behind like other paper products.

Yup, Meguiars wax is a great alternative to Mother's products. They are carnuba based, and cost a little less. Mother's ,however has an extensive product line, for all kinds of applications. Different paint types(clears, urathanes, etc.), plastic and rubber resoration formulas, polishes and cleaners specific for steel, aluminum alloys, chrome.

Just want to revive this post, seeing as it got buried, Spring is coming, and now that we merged with MP3 guys. Anyone who has any issues concerns, feel free to ask. You can also email me with your questions Mntfsc@aol.com

Last edited:
I would stay away from the car bra. I had one for my civic and it was just a hassle always removing it to wash the car. I never had trouble with fading or mold. After I was in an accident, I opted for a plastic bug shield. I found this MUCH nicer looking, and much more convenient. Add to that it's cheaper too. I now have a bug shield for my P5 made by Form Fit. It doesn't buzz, looks great, and will protect the paint.

Just wondering something here. Last weekend when I went to clean off the salt on my car, I noticed that some pooled "dirt" had collected in the "trough" in my hood. I washed it off, but the dirt on the perimeter of the dirt stayed stuck to the car. No amount of elbow grease will take it off and it's got me pretty pissed off.

Racer5 do you have any suggestions? Just as a note I don't have any clue as to what the dirt is. I can take pics if needed.

If you can take a pic and send it to me easily, that would be good. It sounds like something etched your paint. Try not to use any compounds. I find that people throw around the term too loosely, like ..."Oh my car needs a good compounding and waxing" ... Normal people will NEVER have the need to use a compound. Plus, normal people do not know how to apply/remove compounds correctly, thereby marring your paint's finish ... PLEASE PUT THE BOTTLE OF COMPOUND DOWN AND WALK AWAY!!!!!

First I would try a Pre Wax cleaner. then glazing, and waxing, it should remove it. But if the spot is really etched, try using a clay bar~~ First, if you can, send me some pics. Then we will see what you can do.

you can also try massaging white vinegar on the spot to see if it removes it. just be sure to "spot wax" the area when you are done.

Back