New owner... dumb question

W

WidowMaker

What are the black plastic peices that come in the rear hatch area? These are in plastic bags and look like some kind of sill covers or bumper covers. I didn't have alot of time to look at them before my wife took the car to work.
brand spankin new Black Mica P5

If you have a roof rack, then those are plastic covers to cover the mounting spots for the racks when you decide to remove the racks. (yes, they are removable).

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Douggie ]

It sounds like you are talking about the luggage rail covers. If you take of the actual luggage rack on the roof, those pieces fit into the rails that way it looks nicer.

DOOD! That totaly sucks, I took apart the roof rack just today to see what it would look like with that stuff off and it looks like hell. Angryly i put it back on and said F*ck it, but according to you guys the car comes with the parts to cover that up? Man, I'm makeing a trip to the dealership in the morning. :mad:

The dealership left mine out, too. The inserts come in a bag with the front license plate mount. It seems that the prep guys at Mazda dealerships are complete idiots. OK, so most people at Mazda dealerships are idiots. Some states require a front plate, and the morons putting them on are like "what the hell is this extra plastic for?" and toss it. I'm willing to bet you have a front license plate, or if not that you didn't get that harware, either. By the way, Charles, I have a black one, and don't think it looks as good without the rack. Those plastic runners on the roof don't look right against a black car. Kind-of like lumps on the roof. The other colors look good, because it's offset by the different color of the car. The Canadian version without the plastic runners looks good w/o a rack. I'm gonna find out what it takes to remove the plastic completely.

I wasn't concerned with how it looked, my main goal was to get rid of the persistent wind noise! Very annoying when then sunroof is open.

i took mine off 2 days ago, it loks so much better now. i took pics but they are at home atm. ill upload later.

Yeah, Tom, but you've got a white one, right? I think it's the black, just looked REALLY bad. If I had any other color, they'd be GONE!

Yes Mark you are correct. I have a white one :p I still don't like the looks of the black rails though. It's good enough that I just forget about it though.
Thom

Yup, looks fine on the red, silver, etc. I'll work on a pic of the black to show you guys how bad it really looks. Just lumps on the roof.

hey, Sttl013, I got a black P5, and I removed my rack crossmembers, and I think it looks ok. I see your point about other colors looking"better" but I think the black looks alright w/o them, and plus wind noise is gone!! However, if you figure out a way to remove the rails completely, let me know, cause they will be gone also.

Man I love Canada.Here the roof rack is an accessory NOT an option.This means no rails!
The car looks nice without the rails & the racks.I like it with the racks too though(this was not a Flame).It can't be hard to remove the rails(I have seen pics of ones in the US without).I cannot give you any help though as it is not a problem I have to deal with,sorry :(

Does anyone have any pics of a Canadian P5 without the roof racks? I am hoping to see a pic of a Black Mica P5 but any will do.
Thanks,
Charles

WHAT?!? I CAN'T HEAR YOUUU.... THE ROOF RACKS ARE MAKING TOOO MUCH NOISE WITH THE SUNROOF OPEN! Hee Hee. :D

I have some pictures of Canadian P5s without the roof racks. Silver, red, blue. A couple of the pictures have a black one in the background, though. Drop me a line if you're interested and I'll send some to you.

YES I TO WOULD LOVE TO GET RID OF THE RAILS AS WELL AS THE RACKS I MEAN THE RACKS ARE GONE I JUST WANT THE RAILS GONE ALSO..........AND I AGREE THEY ARE DAMN ANNOYING WHEN THEY WISTLE.......I DONT HAVE A SUNROOF AND I CAN STILL HEAR IT..... CHECK MINE AT www.atrimports.com or www.picturetrail.com under album title (4drmp5atr)..... yup its the silver bullet...
ZOOM...ZOOM.....AND A VROOM....VROOM...

ok well i have a dumb question also... on the left next to the posts.......where it says our login name under it is says p5expert or p5novice and etc.... how does that happen????....now that that make me loose my p5 status.......... :(

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: 4DRMP5ATR ]

4DRMP5ATR "ok well i have a dumb question also... on the left next to the posts.......where it says our login name under it is says p5expert or p5novice and etc.... how does that happen????....now that that make me loose my p5 status.........."

Just to comment --- What makes me, or anyone for that matter a P5 novice or what makes you or anyone else a P5 expert??? These cars are brand new?? Right?? So how can anyone be an "expert" on these cars? Furthermore, how can anyone be an expert on cars in general?? I have a cousin who is an ASE Cert. Mechanic, but there are issues that still stump him (and he is crackerjack with cars). If you hadn't pointed that out, I would have never noticed, but now I am kinda insulted. I think my pending Mech E degree would make me an expert on ANYTHING mechanical, no??? Please, I'd love to hear the reasoning behind this.

Back