GAS MILEGE

R

<Robert Palmieri>

HELLO ALL I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW DO YOU DO ON GAS MILEGE FOR THE P5, HIGHWAY, CITY, FOR STANDARD CARS.

I have a manual tranny, and my normal driving is split 50/50 highway and city. I have been consistently getting 26-28mpg. On a trip to Rhode Island(I live in New Haven area,CT) I was getting a little over 30. All good here!! :D

mines mostly city driving uless i go on the freeways.........and i get about 298-315 miles to a tank.. i think its not that great but when i travel i get good gas then.......

According to Car and Driver the 5 gets 25-28 miles a gallon in the city and 30-31 miles for the highway. A full tank should take u at least 363 miles. Question. Am i the only one who uses high octane gas? That could help some. :D

Korey, I only use Regular grade gas. Plus, lower octane gas ignites more easily, so that helps in colder weather. Mazda recommends 87, do you notice a difference with gas mileage between gas grades??

actually i find that my car runs way better with the higher octane my car starts easier and sounds better too plus i think i get better mileage dont know why just do but the s*** is expensive for hi-octane ;)

At the end of my second tank of gas, I averaged 31.2 MPG with probably 75% highway driving on 93 octane. I'm still driving rather cautiously though due to the break in period.

At the end of my second tank of gas, I averaged 31.2 MPG with probably 75% highway driving on 93 octane. I'm still driving rather cautiously though due to the break in period. Oh yeah, mine is a 5 speed.

My first full tank of gas burned up at 30.6 mpg. Since then I've only done really rough math, and it always seems to work out to around 29 to 31 mpg. I drive mostly hwy miles, maybe 20% city at the most. Tomorrow morning we're driving from Salt Lake City to Alberta, Canada, and I'll be sure to keep good track of fuel mileage. I have a 5-speed, btw, and I live at 4,500 feet above sea level. I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes. The trip to Canada will mean a 3,000 foot climb in elevation and then a 4,000 foot drop back down across Montana. We'll have four adults and a loaded hatch, so I'm going to try some tanks at high octane and some at the cheap stuff. We'll see!

The first road trip in the Pro5!

yeah let me know what you come up wit chris........... lain_gundam@hotmail.com

Well, we made it to Alberta in 10 hours, averaging 74.3 mph. For most of Idaho (except near the cities) I had the cruise set at 80 mph; just 5 over the limit. For most of Montana (again, except around the cities) I had the cruise set at 85. Technically, the speed limit in Montana is 75, but we didn't see a traditionally marked police car for any of Montana's 400 miles.

Now, brace yourself; my first tank of fuel averaged 28.4 mpg. My second, which took us from Idaho to Montana on some really twisty roads at 7,000 ft. above sea level averaged less than 23 mpg. The temp. was about 35 F, we were loaded down with 1,200 lbs. of people and cargo, and we were cruising at 85 mph. But still, I expected a little better than 23. Oh, well.

So there you have it... oh, my last tank of fuel took us all the way to our destination in Alberta, where I filled the tank with 47.56 liters of fuel... you Canadians... how empty was my tank?! I think I about coasted into the station.

We'll be heading mostly downhill on the way home, so I'm hoping for some better mileage on the way back to UT. I'll keep you posted.

Chris

YOUR TANK IS ACTUALLY 55 LITRES SO YOU STILL HAD A LITTLE WAY TO GO THATS MORE THAN A GALLON TO YOU YANKS.

Racer 5 just remember that higher octane means a cleaner tank. Less junk flowing through your gas line.. 93 is simply a winnner compared to 87...i dont know who told u that was better and when i got my 5 they told me i should put at least 89 in..Oh well. U can lead a horse to water but u cant make 'em drink. :eek: :D

Just wondering how octane rating relates to the cleanliness of the gas. I thought the higher the octane, the less energy it had, leading to less pre-ignition (hence less knocking..), but I've never seen where the gas is actually cleaner.?

JUST A QUICK QUESTION YOU GUYS HAVE 93 OCTANE CAUSE AS FAR AS I HAVE SEEN ANYWHERE IS THE RANGE OF OCTANE GOES FROM 87-89-91 THATS THE ONLY THREE I HAVE SEEN??? :confused: :confused:

Korey, Higher Octane gasoline is not "cleaner". Octane rating in gasoline refers to Octane levels~~a petroleum derivative. Higher Octane gasoline has a higher flash point. Having a higher flash point means that the gasoline burns hotter, however, the engine temperature must be higher to achieve detonation. By cleaner, you must be referring not to the tank, but the fuel induction,detonation, and exhaust areas. Meaning intake valves, piston tops/domes, and exhaust valves. Not the tank, I'm sure that's what you meant, right?? Higher Octane gas, because it burns hotter, theoretically can reduce the carbon deposits left by gasoline in these areas. However, hotter temeratures can create a "varnish" on these areas. "Cleaner" gasoline is achieved by distilling and filtering, not octane.
BTW, when you lead your horse to water, make sure it isn't gasoline it's drinking, regardless of its octane rating. ;)

I agree with Racer 5. Higher octane is not better when the manufacturer recommends regular. Higher octane gas combusts? prematurely thus increasing wear and tear. Higher octane is designed for high compression engines. By putting high octane gas in your 5 not only you wear it out faster but you spend more on gas and you lose power. There is a lot of info on the web so before you guys f*ck you car with high octane and damage your paint with dish soap, READ UP. :D

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your gas mileage won't pick up till around 10 to 12k miles. Everything has to break-in. I've got a little over 3k on mine and I get a consistent 26mpg, on mid-grade.

I would like to say however after removing my roof rack my I did pick up about 2mpg(oooooooh).

Sunoco has the most choices available for octane. They usually sell 87, 89, 91 and 94.
Most other gas stations stick around 87, 89, 93. Sometimes Sunoco even sells an 86?? GEESH.

Anyhow I usually do about 90% city driving right now and I get 21-24 mpg per tank depending on how much I'm beating on it at the time. I have about 8k miles on my car. When I take road trips I usually get 28mpg.

I use the recommended 87 octane level.

It's definitely not a Honda or Nissan when it comes to fuel efficiency!

Back