which speaker wire is negative and which one is positive

N

noon

does anyone know which pins on the stock deck are for the postive and negative speaker wires. or does anyone know how i could find out? I allready went to www.astolfo.com/p5/p5.asp and his wire diagram does not say which ones are positive and negative.

so far i have figured out both front speakers: front right - White positive ,red negative.
front left - Black/White positive, Black/Brown negitive.
I still have no idea on the rear speakers because for both rear speakers they have the same color wires. The only reason I need to know this information is because I am install a speaker level converter so i can hook up my amp.

The polarity (plus and minus) does not matter just as long as they are done the same. Speakers look like inductors and the polarity is not important. The important thing is to make sure the speakers are all connected the same way. If two speakers are connected opposite (one plus to plus and minus to minus with the other plus to minus and minus to plus) the speakers will be out of phase exactly with each other and parts of the frequency range will cancel out. Very notible in the lower frequencies.

Joe

Oh I forgot to mention. Since you are using a high level to RCA (I assume) then it really does not matter. You will only be pulling from one speaker the amplified speaker will be in phase with the speaker you pulled the signal from. Unless you accidently flip the polarity on the speaker you pull the signal from you will be goo to go.

Joe

okay well given the fact I'm american I hooked up the red to (+) and the white to negative (+) on the front door speakers only, both of them are like that, but the rear doors are stock and never messed with... would that cause them to be out of phase?

Hey look I searched! But I'm still stupid. I just replaced the speakers on my protege5 and easily identified the fronts but the rears change color from the deck to the rear doors. The fronts are connected correctly, the rears I chose pink as (+) and green/black as (-). The speakers are Infinity Reference and have a capacitor (?) on the (+) side I believe. Anyone know if that is wrong or if it may cause some problems?

connect the wires to a small battery (AA or 9V will work) if the speaker cone moves in, the polarity is backwards. if it moves out, then the wire on the + side of the battery is the + wire and the - is the other one. simple

Thanks. But I know which side of the speaker is which. I was looking for the vehicles wiring polarity. I guess I could've broke out the fluke, I did by that thing for something.

Mr.Ames said:
connect the wires to a small battery (AA or 9V will work) if the speaker cone moves in, the polarity is backwards. if it moves out, then the wire on the + side of the battery is the + wire and the - is the other one. simple

Smart guy..

iagreen said:
Thanks. But I know which side of the speaker is which...

if u know what is what on the speaker, why dont u look to see how the wires clip in on the speaker? assuming ur using stock speakers and have not cut the plug off...

That just hit me earlier today. But I already threw the speakers away. I guess I was thinking someone would know which was which. I'll go figure it out. They sound fine, just thought if they were backwards that it might sound better if I fix it.

Back