Thin Paint?

P

pthree

I got egged last night, so did a whole heck of a lotta cars in the neigborhood. the only problem is the egg actually took some of my paint off
you can tell exactly where the egg hit there are all kinds of paint chips missing, so i went around the car looking at it real close and noticed lots of little flecks missing from rocks and stuff hitting car while driving. this is scary-sad cause the car is exactly one month old today, and ive only got 2k miles on it. is this what i can expect for its life? paint just flecking off willy-nilly? anyone else hav thin paint stories?

actually yeah i noticed that to i got little nicks and dings and stuff to infact even the littlest thing will leave a big scratch in the car as well i got tones of scratches it freaking sucks............

I have one thing to say about paint preservation ... It is almost a futile attempt. However, there are a few rules of thumb to follow as far as reducing those chips and dings you get on the front of the car. DO NOT Follow people too closely!!! and increase your distance from people on the highway. Rocks kicking up from thier tires project an exponential amount of distance @ highway speeds. I know it is hard to control the urge to ride the ass of that riced out Civic in order to get him to take the bait and get burned by a wagon!!(lol, i love my P5!! :D )but it is essential to remember to back off about 75 -100 feet. I have had my P5 since late August, and actually, I have no visible paint chips in the front or on the hood yet. And mine is black, which shows everything. Also treat your paint with GOOD wax. Pthree, not to say anything bad, but I believe if your car had a coat of good wax, you wouldn't have as sever of a problem, if any. Tips for wax, well, my rule of thumb, is there is no shine like Mother's, (lol, even says it on the can)but seriously, its true. However, any Carnuba based wax is best. Try to shy away from synthetics and silicone based waxes. Carnuba wax, when applied properly, is a very hard coating. Synthetics are less robust. Also, any sap, tar, egg, bird crap, should be washed off immediatley, and should be "spot waxed" until you have time to clean and wax your whole car thouroughly.
Also, since the hood and fenders are subjected to the most severe conditions , (ie. heat from the motor, bugs, rocks, all which are no-no's for paint) you should apply two coats of wax to them when detailing your vehicle.
I may be telling you things you already know, but they are crucial to keeping paint tip top. I used to detail cars for a living when I was working construction, and was laid off for 6 months one summer.So, I have gotten to know paint care, and car care in general, fairly well. I am full of tips and inside secrets, so if any of you guys need some advice, post your email address and I will email you with specific help.
Mike

Just an addendum to my last post. I have more than 6 months experience with detailing cars, it's just that for 6 months, that is ALL i did. I still have customers that I try to fit in my busy schedule, and had to turn down a local police department for detailing the cruisers because of my school and full time job priorities.

$125 in and out, steam clean interior add $50; clay bar paint add $50

Where are you located? That sounds like a pretty good deal. What's your take on those carwash/full detail/grocery/gas/massage/manicure places?
I had my wife's truck detailed there. $110 and they did a decent job. Still can't get that smell out from the grease they used on the interior though.

Located in Connecticut. And I wouldn't even bring my Honda to one of those places!! :eek: No, j/k, some of those places are fine, depending on how thier reputation is, and if they cut corners or not. I'm not sure what you mean by the grease smell from the "grease" they used? What did they use grease on?? Let me know, I have a few tips for odor in a vehicle.
Mike

racer how do you get the smell of puke out of your car???? my budy was drunk and i was driving home and his car was all bouncy and he got sick and well you know what happened!!!

racer how do you get the smell of puke out of your car????
Leave the Irishman home!! J/K ... I was playin, no really, i don't want any pissed off irish people leaving me hate mail now!!

A few things you can do to rid the smell. First, make sure that all surfaces that it came into contact with are CLEANED well. The acid in your stomach will eat through almost anything. Shampooing or steam cleaning the rugs would be my first mode of attack. That would clean the fibers deep down.
Then, a variety of things, from dry softner sheets under your seats(which I do normally to negate the smoke smell ... damn cigarettes, i promised I wouldn't smoke in my new car, that lasted about 5 hours.) They work awesome. Citrus peels (Lemon, orange work best. Leave in car overnight, kinda "wring" them on the spot of the carpet that was affected. Them leave them in there,overnight, windows up. Remember to remove them in the morning, especially in the HOT AZ sun. Your car will smell like the city dump if you forget them!!! If that dosen't work, try that Febreeze stuff, it works pretty well. I list the other home remedies, cause you probably already have them in the house, and sometimes work better that putting chemicals in your car that can cause dyes to run, or bleach. Try it, let me know!

racer how do you get the smell of puke out of your car????
Leave the Irishman home!! J/K ... I was playin, no really, i don't want any pissed off irish people leaving me hate mail now!!

A few things you can do to rid the smell. First, make sure that all surfaces that it came into contact with are CLEANED well. The acid in your stomach will eat through almost anything. Shampooing or steam cleaning the rugs would be my first mode of attack. That would clean the fibers deep down.
Then, a variety of things, from dry softner sheets under your seats(which I do normally to negate the smoke smell ... damn cigarettes, i promised I wouldn't smoke in my new car, that lasted about 5 hours.) They work awesome. Citrus peels (Lemon, orange work best. Leave in car overnight, kinda "wring" them on the spot of the carpet that was affected. Them leave them in there,overnight, windows up. Remember to remove them in the morning, especially in the HOT AZ sun. Your car will smell like the city dump if you forget them!!! If that dosen't work, try that Febreeze stuff, it works pretty well. I list the other home remedies, cause you probably already have them in the house, and sometimes work better that putting chemicals in your car that can cause dyes to run, or bleach. Try it, let me know!

you know, i'm pretty bad at tailing people in my car, but i barely ever get chips in the paint. last time i checked, and looked really good, which was about a week ago i had 3 chips. i've had the car since august, and almost right after i got it i put on 2 coats of wax and then another about a month later. so i guess the wax really does help, the only problem with that is that tiny dust particles like to stick to it, and won't come off unless you wash it by hand...even the high pressure washes won't get the dust off. and i refuse to go to the car washes with the spinning brushes. according to the manual, its not too good for the paint. and just the other week my dad went to one with his e-150 van (ugh, i know :rolleyes: ) and the brush grabbed on to his mirror and ripped it off, causing about half of his door to crush inward, and breaking the window. so i'm kinda weary of those car washes.

I have a permamnent layer of dust and mud and salt over my car that's acting as a protective layer :rolleyes: I wash it, and the next day it gets all crapped up again. Goddamn Canadian winters. Not to mention my school parking lot is a mud field. (i'm serious, it's not paved, just wet mud)

cool thanx racer.............. i did the shampooing and stuff just seeing if thats what you suggest

im goign to talk to dealer and see if they will fix the egg area (chips) out of a good faith kinda thing. otherwise my buddy that builds hotrods (american dream rods in sonoma county) is gonna wet sand it for me. the wax job i had was whatever they did when i got it a month ago, they detailed it, though i have no idea what they used. it definitely was waxed.

Dealers use a wax caleed Butter wax, that goes on /comes off easily. They use it cause it saves time, and they can detail the cars quick. That wax, while it may make it shine, dosen't even come close to Carnuba. Believe me, and treat your paint, use Carnuba, use Mother's!! BTW, NEVER wash your car with dish soap!!! It strips wax, and leaves paint vulnerable to environmental elements. Mother's also makes and excellent car wash, or use any wash that states it will not strip wax.

DAMN IT!!! I just started using dish soap on my car this winter.... So you say it strips off wax?? What THE HELL DOESN`T HARM THE DAMN PAINT ON CARS!!!! All I hear is... Don`t use this, don`t use that. Am I the only idiot that does not have a clue as to what to use?? All I want to know is what soap, which is avail around the house can I use? As much as I love the paint job on my car, I don`t want to spend 30 dollars on a damn bottle of soap (YES I`M CHEAP :). Seeing as how you just bashed my rather clever dish soap idea, what can I use Racer??

Ryan, yes liquid dish soap will strip wax, every last bit of it!!!! Your car's finish will be left exposed to salt, dirt, tar, etc. They make inexpensive car wash formulas that do not strip wax. I think Wesley makes a soap that is inexpensive, even in larger quantities. It is blue in color. Also, another important bit of advice reguarding soap... more is not better. Use about 1 ounce for every 3 or so gallons. Using too much soap, and not completely rinsing, will leave a lubricious glycerine residue on your paint. This film, when applying wax, will make the wax "wear" off faster during rain, etc. because the wax is not bonded to the paint's surface. So, more soap will not make it cleaner and more shiney, in fact, in a short while, the surface will be just the opposite. I will be happy to give you, and anyone else for that matter more specific tips/advice, if you post your issue/concern/question along with your email.Thanks.
Mike

Okay, you got me, I'm not a complete idiot... And when I do use soap (whatever it may be) I use very little of it (Just like when I wash... Makes me rashy...). No but seriously, I just wanted to know what the general public out there was using to was there cars. Seeing as how I was driving a rust covered car previous to my buying a P5, I am most interested.

Back