New Protege5

M

MrJoel

I just picked up my protege5 last night.
(Midnight Blue Mica,5 speed,ABS, moonroof ,6-disc changer)
I love this car. It looked at several other sport wagons but came back to the Protege5 in the end.
I have a few questions though.
1) I have heard several versions of what to do during the break-in period and how many mile it should be. how long do you guys think it should be.
2) What is up with the little green light over the ignition? It seems to stay on for quite a while.

Thanks in advance.
Joel

Hey it's good to hear that you got your car. I will be getting mine while home on Spring break this weekend. Should of had it a while back but the dealer was born without a brain. Anyway to possibly help with your ?'s.
1)If the green light you are talking about is the same as my 626 then it is to aid in finding the ignition at night.
2)Check the owner's manual. I've noticed in a other cars that there is a recommended procedure in print. Look under "Engine" and then see if there is a "break-in" section.

Hope it helps.

Matt

My dealer told me 400 miles for the engine and 150 for the brakes.

Ahh yes the manual. Being male I had totaly overlooked that source of info. The manual says the break in period is 1000km or 600miles. I am 1/3 of the way there. I want to break it in fast so I can take it out for a nice weekend road trip.

well i let mine go for about 3k basically for an oil change so that i know i got it through a full driving cycle and refreshed everything......

Originally posted by MrJoel:
<STRONG>I want to break it in fast so I can take it out for a nice weekend road trip.</STRONG>

Don't do that. Do it right and both of you will be happy with each other. Enjoy and welcome to the family.

Just to be safe. You should avoid hitting 3000rpm for the first 1000km, avoid hitting 4000rpm for the 3000km after. And DEFINITELY avoid highway driving in the first month to avoid staying in high rpm. Actually, your car won't totally break in before 10,000km. Oh! out of curiousity, anyone here knows when should the first oil change be? 3000km?

Back