P5 Buzzing and Bust out at start up.

J

<Jason>

P5 Buzzing and Bust out at start up.

I got a red P5 loaded up, and ever since I've had it, it buzzez at start up and hesitates once or twice, before resuming normal operation. Does it worse when cold, but will do it no matter how long you let it warm up. I thought it was an exhaust hanger or something, and I see people giving the same symptoms, but talkin about there trannies. On the road runner post I had a guy say some of the first batch had a timing issue, but I can't find a Tech Bulliten on that. I know some of you guys have had the same prob. Help a Brother Out. :confused:

i'm not too sure about the problem your describing but maybe it's the same one i get. it only happens once in awhile but sometimes right at start up it almost stalls and the rpm's bounce around a bit for about 5-10 sec. anybody else get this?

is this happening with an auto?? Mine is a manual, and never experienced this.

No, It's a manual. I know a girl that has a yellow auto, and hers made the same noise at start up. It's a buzz that goes away at high revs and stays gone once the engine has been taken up to temp or at least reved good once or twice, When I say rev, I mean over 3500. Not tached.Drivin' me nuts, but I'm way busy and the dealer is gonna want to keep my car. Just wondering if anyone has had and solved this prob.

I get a high frequency ticking/buzz/rattle at about 2500 - 3000 RPMs when the engine is cold and when the holding the throttle steady. I took mine to the dealer and they gave me a copy of the mazda service bulletin. Mazda says that it is normal engine noise and is caused by something which I cannot remember. I will post the service bulletin tomorrow.

Here is the info I got from Mazda concerning the noise. This is a tech bulletin to the service dept from Mazda:

"Customer may experience engine rattle under light to moderate
acceleration with engine coolant temps below 149 deg f and engine
RPMs below 1500 to 2500.

Confirm noise only occurs within the VTCS(variable Tumble Controlsystem)
operation "valve closed" period (when ECT is below 149 deg f)

The noise is currently believed to be the result of the timing between VTCS
plates "opening", and the ignition spark advance command. This is an operating characteristic of this engine and no repair attemps should be made. Although the noise is only present during cold start up and dissapears once the engine coolant reaches 149 degrees f , Mazda realizes that it is an annoyance to some customers and its engineers are investigating possible countermeasures in an effort to address customer dissasisfaction.

End of Report

Just got off the phone with my service friend at my dealer,
He says they are very close to having an ECU reprogram that will fix this. He informed me it will be available very soon (month?). Don't know if they will send out letters to P5 owners or expect you to keep calling them so I will check again at my first service and keep everyone posted.
stop reading and drive.
-ted

Thanks

You guys are awsome, I knew I wasn't crazy. You guys have saved me a ton of time and relieved me of much anxiety. Again-Kudos. Jason

Man, I was glad to find this thread. I was about 5 minutes away from calling the dealer about this problem. Mine seems to be a little different but still related. On cold starts, I have a ticking/Low grumbly type of noise between 2500 and 3000 RPM's... It occurs in every gear, and lasts for about 3 minutes, or until the temp reaches normal range. Just figured I would add my experience to the list. Oh yeah, I have 3000 miles and a manual transmission.. It has happened since day one, worse when cold outside. Thanks. :)

Back