Custom P5 Shiftnobs

A

Acropolis MP5

My name is Colin Murray and I live in Bakersfield, Ca. Im making custom shift nobs for P5 owners only. They can be made of alluminum or Stainless Steel 71/70 (which is a better grade than found in your silverwear). Anyone can contanct me and give me the dimmensions of the nob you wish to have on your car. Because of the time, these nobs are not cheap. Although alluminum will cost you less, I personally like the stainless because it allows the driver to throw faster on the stock shifter. Contact me at acropolis16@hotmail.com, and leave a name and way to contact you. Thanks

ive been thinking about a new shift knob, for aesthetics only. (carbon fibre matching) what is this you are saying about throwing faster? i would think extra weight would slow down a throw. Please explain, tyia

The P5's have a longer shift throw. Because of the weight of the stainless steal, it tends to throw much faster. If you preffer to have a lighter nob, although I really like the stainless, I would be happy to build one out of alluminum. Also, if you choose to have a "ribbed" effect on your nob, I can also fit rubber "O" rings into the nob for a more custom look, and a much better grip. Get back to me on your thoughts....

personally i like the shift knob we already have so i dont see why you would want another untill the came out with a real deal shortshifter that helped in your shifting..... and then i would worry about what the knob looks like........

no offense there justin, but ive seen your car, (silver p5), and it looks stock. (maybe you lowered it a tad or put a sytem in it). Theres allready a B&M shortshifter out for it, and unless u want there wide angle grip on your ride, id think you would have to find something different. The purpouse of this is that anyone can send me plans and I can custom build one, understading that the part must by symetrical.

actually colin my car is lowered more than just a tad its dumped 2" in the front and 1.5" in the back more than the springs you see for sale that only drop and 1" or so.... and i got a lot of stuff on order that i just havent listed to anyone ....also i got an intake and i have exhaust and my entire lighting system is dont all hyperwhite...except for the fogs because theres no point to it...... so dont talk about stock brotha

Justin, are you the one that cut your springs? I hear its not such a hot idea and can lead to VERY bad things. How is the ride now? and what about safty?

well p5magic everyone thats rode in my car that has a lowered car wit springs likes my ride much better and no i havent had any problems yet so i think i have a good thing going but i will go to springs after a while when i have more money.....

Justin, im trying to be nice by saying that cutting your springs is a bad idea. I friend down south did that to his acura and it cause him problems after a couple of months. He bought some stock springs, and went back to the dealer to try to get it fixed. They found the wear the cut springs had caused, and he voided his susspension warnty. Buy some Eibach man, I would even loan you the money than see you **** up your ride permanatly

i understand acropolis......... but i dont like eibach there springs are to bouncy i had them in my jetta and thing thing rode like s***..... and i honestly coudnt take someone elses money to work on my car.... and i aint dissin on the shift nobs i was just sayin in my opinion i woudnt want one unless i got a short shifter that actually changed the throw on the shift.... plus i like the stock shift knob it comes wit.....so dont take any offense like i am dissing your products cause i aint i was just saying i like the stock knob.....how ever if you could make a short shifter i would be interested in that....... got any ideas as to where i can pick them up for cheap because i think 300 for springs is ridiculus especially when there on like 150 for hondas..........that makes me sick.....i hate seing honda and toyota or those other common import cars come out wit stuff when the car is brand new but ours is out for months and they barley have exhaust and springs and intake how gay......and not to mention they cost a fukkin ass load...

Skunk has springs out for the P5 that are made to drop our car 2".... not cutting needed.

I could be wrong, but I hear that cutting your springs was pretty dangerous, besides voiding your warranty. They're designed to carry a specific amount of weight that gets distributed through the the entire spring. If you cut some of the coils off, you force the weight to be distributed throughout the remaining coils, and that causes too much strain on them. I've heard of people's springs popping off of their cars when they took tight turns. I understand the motivation for saving money, and admittedly considerred that myself, but aren't you worried about safety? Not dissing you, just asking...

Ari:)

not only is it dangerous it is just plain ghetto. I don't see why anyopne would cut there springs. They are designed to carry a certian load and by cutting them it changes it. I could understand if you lived in a trailer park but why would anyone do it otherwise. and the excuse that I wanted it lowered is not good enough. You should have saved some money and bought springs. ALso I have yet to see Eibachs listed for $300. I have the Racing beat on mine and they were $225 shipped. Did you have bigger wheels on your car, Jetta? I bet it was more the wheels and tires than the SPrings. I have had 2 sets of ProKits and Loved them.

As far as the custom knobs lets see some pics or design plans and an idea of cost.

Acropolis MP5 said:
Theres allready a B&M shortshifter out for it, and unless u want there wide angle grip on your ride, id think you would have to find something different.

I have the B&M short shifter in my car....its made so that the stock shift knob screws right back on, it even comes with a groove cut in the shaft and an E-Clip that you install so that it holds the stock boot up just like the stock shifter did.....works like a champ....so you do NOT have to use the B&M shifter T-handle type knob...in fact when you buy the shortshifter...it does NOT come with a knob at all.

here is what it looks like installed
after.jpg

Back