Colour of instrument panel lights?

L

LowLight

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to change the instrument panel's nighttime display colour yet? I'm looking for info on getting this done and I was wonder just how likely/unlikely this undertaking would be? Would it require me to totaly replace the indash dials, or are the indash lights easly replaced? :confused:

I'm about ready to take the dash out of the car. If I'm right it is going to be alittle to detail to do for a person with limited knowledge. This might even include me because I'm not the total wiz at circuit board electronics.

Mike

The only thing wrong with the colour is that every other pro5 has red and I'd like mine to stand out a little. :) It's car vanity in it's basest of forms.

I think I like the color red, because my Protege'5 is Red, hehehe Cheers...

Hey I know what you're talkin' about LL. A buddy asked me last night if I could change that red to something else! Nothing wrong with Red, mind you!

Personally, and this is me, would never choose red for dash lighting. You are driving at night and all you see is red taillights in front of you, the last thing after that i want to see is red on my dash. Its time car manufacturers start offering a choice like they do for the interior and exterior colors.

Like most of you I don't see the problem with the red color. I put in mine has roof light, red bulbs.This look awesome when you open the door and turn on the 2 reading lamp in front with the red dash.I know that this is a little nothing but it seems to me that everything change in my P5 ??!! And my girl friend likes it when we do things ... in some places ... ;)

Well, as for the gauge lights, there is a 5-color Indiglo gauge set available. I think there is a pic at NOPI

But as for the rest of the dash lights, be prepared to replace a lot of lights. Someone mentioned on another board that most lighted areas on our dashes have their own light behind.

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: Kincaid ]

I mean, come on, guys, don't you know what the red light means? I know I'm a P5 *****!!

Hey Kincaid nice to see another Newfoundlander on the boards. Thanks for the heads up on the replacement indigo lights. Mike already told me about the hundreds ;) of lights I'd have to replace to do it. Mabye I'll just buy some blue plastic wrap and heat wrap it to the dash. :rolleyes:

I TOOK OUT THE GUAGES N TRYED TO REPLACE THE BULBS BUT I NOTICED 2 THINGS, 1. THERE ARE BULBS THAT ARE EXTREME SMALL IVE NEVER SEEN THEN LIKE THAT BEFORE, 2. I BELIEVE THERES A RED PANEL BEHIND IT CUZ A WHITE BULB STILL COMES OUT ORANGY-RED

"Can you guys tell me what's wrong with the colour?"
"The only thing wrong with the colour is that every other pro5 has red"

You want to know what's wrong with the red lighting?!?!?! It makes the interior look like a freakin' pos GM product.

But that's just my opinion. I'd change the color in a second if it didn't mean replacing every little lamp behind the dash.

I think red looks awesome. The Protege 5 interior at night looks similar to my 3-series.

P0000239.jpg

Yo, i feel u dunn. I can deal with the color being red but its factory and my steez on factory things is to replace it with aftermarket supplies. Not everything of cours but the red has to go. I know that their is a way that this can be done. Whoever gets this accomplished first is the man and i will follow up and get it done as soon as the secrets sold. Let ya hands rise if u love to customize!!!! I do. :D

WELL WHEN I TOOK MY GAUGE CLUSTER OUT TO SET UP MY RACING TACH I NOTICED THAT ALL THE BULBS HAD RED CONDOMS ON THEM BUT I HAVENT TRYIED TO TAKE THEM OFF HOW EVER I TO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOT TO CHANGE THE COLOR OF OUR DASH CAUSE I HATE THE COLOR RED IT MEAND TO MANY BAD THINGS TO ME ITS A COLOR THAT DEALS WIT POLICE, STOPING, AND ONE MAJORLEY BAD THING THAT HAS TO DEAL WITH WOMEN!!! IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.....SO I DONT LIKE RED....IF ANYONE KNOWS LET ME KNOW CAUSE I AM THERE ON CHANGEING IT.......I THINK MAYBE BLUE WOULD BE COOL :p :D

id like a dash setup similar to new VW's (orange purple) mebbe not that combo but a combo of vibrants perhaps all green or blue etc. and for the love of god please please please stop posting with all caps? nothing says n00bAOL more than caps.

Originally posted by gene in cincinnati:
<STRONG>I think red looks awesome. The Protege 5 interior at night looks similar to my 3-series.</STRONG>

Exactly! That's why there's absolutely nothing wrong with red! :)

Just so ya'll know, the reason that many manufactures are moving to red is for safety. Red doesn't dialate the pupils, so when you are driving at night, the guages won't hurt your vision. This is why people who have "Night watch" on ships, sit in a red lit room, or would switch to red light at night. This is so the eyes don't hve to readjust when you go from light to dark.

Or when you are driving, unlike Bright indiglo or white dials, red won't strain your vision..

-miker

Yep, contrary to many beliefs, red is less stressful to the eyes than blue or white. it has something to do with the wavelength.

Hehe, I really wonder how those VW drivers cope with those purple/orange lights. I got tired just looking at the interior pics in the brochure! :)

Back