P5 vs Matrix

D

DISH

Im considering waiting untill next year to get a Matrix or maybe even a Pontiac Vibe. Has anyone noticed on how similar the vibe is to the P5?... I think Gm ripped Mazda of on this one.

Well anyway my qestions is what is it exactly that you guys love about your P5s>?

My dealer only offers 3 options. Auto, sun and air. And charges extra for the metalic colors such as black, blue, yellow and silver.

I guess what im trying to say is.... Try to convince me!!

its the style baby... all eyes will be on you. i have a bmw 330xi and i tell u wat, i like the mp5 .... well besides the power my 330 has. get it its sweet. nuttin like it out there.

Has anybody read anything about Mazda making a larger engine for the P5. If I'm correct I saw something on their web site about a 2.3L engine in 2004.

I heard they're delaying the matrix in canada for a few more months for some reason. anybody confirm this?

Hey one thing that i love about my Protege5 is the handling. Its not the fastest car on the street but it has some "peep" to it, But the handling is amazing. I can take turns on parkways at about 90 mph when the sign says 40mph. I wouldnt advise it though its quite dangerous. I got a silver one with a sunroof with a 5 speed. its so much fun in stick as opposed to automatic.

Yeah Snomongoose, I don't know what the car designers are smoking while drawing the designs out... the shifter in the dash is plain ugly. And i think the next Civic Si will have this same thing too.

Thank god Mazda came out with the P5 :)

Civic SI is even more ugly, just check out super street.

Mike

from what I've heard theyr'e going to stick the celica GTS engine in the matrix, but are they going to have the slower 'normal' celica motor w/o the vvti so that it'll bring the price point to the same level as the Protege5? A bigger engine's going to mean a huge sticker price, and not all of us are going to be able to afford that..

I was reading some performance tests out of the Matrix.. and it was rather disappointing!! They said even though it has 6 gears, they are way too far apart, and it's impossible to keep the car in "vtec" range, if you will. (u know what i mean. :))

0-60 = 8.9
1/4 - 16.6 @85mph

SLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :eek:

If u check out the January edition of Sport Compact Car, u will find the Matrix to be the cover story. It aways bothers me when Toyota or Honda comes out with a new car and a month later, there's aftermarket sh*t galore. Y cant the Pro5 be like that. I wouldnt trade my in for anything..well maybe for the 2.3L in '04. :D

Originally posted by Korey Chaos:
<STRONG>If u check out the January edition of Sport Compact Car, u will find the Matrix to be the cover story. It aways bothers me when Toyota or Honda comes out with a new car and a month later, there's aftermarket sh*t galore. Y cant the Pro5 be like that. I wouldnt trade my in for anything..well maybe for the 2.3L in '04. :D</STRONG>

What's this about a 2.3L in 2004? Is that official, or just a rumor?

Just for comparison (and I forgot the p5's numbers), what are the p5's performance specs, on auto and manual?

another thing about the matrix is that it seems to be somewhere between a sport utility vehicle (there's previews of it on truckworld) and a sedan/hatchback, whereas the protege5 doesnt claim to be anywhere near a truck. Plus, the base version (which I'd have to be comparing it with because that's my price point) has the corolla's 1.8L powerplant and less torque than the P5.

it's base-level body work blowws, too :)

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: d0hboy5 ]

Though I love my P5, i like the toyota Matrix more... I think better styleing, the GTS engine is going to be definatly nice, and apparently in the Vibe they will make all wheel drive optional, wich is very nice. I bet though the matrix in "gts" trim or the vibe with AWD would push the sticker up to like 20-25 grand. Way more than our car. I guess you get what you pay for.

I just saw the matrix, vibe, and Si at the NAIAS in Detroit and I found that I like the styling better of the p5 then the rest. What were those engeneers smoking when they decided to put the shifter in-dash?! jes.. looks like a toy. And i have to agree that the vibe and matrix are shooting for a little different purpose.

The new mazda 6 is very impressive also.

The shifter in the dash is supposed to resemble a WRC rally car which makes no sense at all for Honda because they don't even enter any cars to race in the World Rally Championship!

Pontiac brought a Vibe to the auto show here in Salt Lake last weekend. It may have the same aspirations as the P5, but it's actually quite a different car in the end. It's much taller, much bulkier and the side sill rises way too high by the time it reaches the rear fenders, making the windows come to a really odd-looking wedge sort of thing. Whatever.

At any rate, the center of gravity is obviously going to be a lot higher, so you can count on a P5 running circles around it. The power (180 hp w/ 6 forward gears)is an obvious temptation, of course, but if we can afford the top-of-the-line model of the Matrix/Vibe, then we would all... well, most of us, at least... be driving WRX's right now.

Live to drive. Drive to live.

So the Matrix was just released as of two days ago in Canada, and I see a chinese-guy testing driving it yesterday. It looked pretty swell from the back but once i pulled up to it and saw the base-level (base, not XRS) bodywork without the sideskirts and front lip, it looks like !@#* compared to the P5, at least to me.

That said, I'm sure it stacks up comparably to the protege5 because Toyota had to have seen what Mazda can come up with. Does anybody know / point out the differences in price for COMPARABLY equipped P5 vs Matrix?

Of course I can get a matrix with the 180hp 1.8L engine, but that wouldnt be an apples-apples comparison. I'd like to see how much money each one costs when outfitted exactly the same, and go from there.

You know what I answered my own question, because I jumped onto Toyota Canada's website afterwards and priced it out; the equivalent model to the P5 seems to be the Matrix XR Front Wheel Drive, and they pretty much put it neck and neck with the P5.

Here P5+manual+aircon is 20895, Matrix XR FWD seems to be 20925, negligible difference.

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: d0hboy5 ]

Back