MP3 + Nitrous (by Jayrcr)

Antoine

Administrator
Nitrous by Jayrcr...

Thanks goes out to Jayrcr for this great article on Nitrous and its use with the MP3...check it out!

First of all, nitrous is a cheap source of power as opposed to turbo/supercharger setups. But there are pros and cons to the juice such as motor failure due to improper use and over use of the nitrous that can cause motor addiction. There are also many kits available such as Zex, nitrous works, nitrous express, NOS, Edelbrock. But which one to use? That's up to you. But before you decide, educate yourself.

As for what kit to use, I use the NOS kit (#05115). It's a simple dry nitrous setup.
The kit is actually a 5.0 Mustang kit. It's actually the kit they sell as the import kit. There is also a wet kit where you spray fuel with the nitrous which makes it safer to run up to 75-100 hp shot with out starving the motor for fuel. But I've also noticed on the MP3's the intake runners have valleys so the fuel has a chance to puddle and cause it to backfire through the throttle body (personal experience.) But I've noticed a few people are ordering ZEX kits. Personally I'd be scared.
The kit is computer controlled. You also have to clip into the TPS wire (Throttle Position Sensor.) The voltage output has to be at least 4.2 volts at wide-open throttle (WOT) because the unit uses this voltage range as a reference point to activate the nitrous. Then you have to have vacuum activated fuel pressure regulator--- that's how the unit regulates/maintains proper fuel pressure at activation. I just don't trust the management system. Too much goes wrong with computers.

There's also a little bit of upkeep. But that's with all nitrous kits. You need to check the plugs every 3 bottles used. Then the gapping of the plugs is important. The gaping needs to be around .35. Any bigger and the nitrous will blow the spark out. That's not good. Another personal experience. And platinum plugs have a tendency to foul out quicker. Colder plugs are essential. There's also fuel supply to consider. Too much and the car will run fat---not enough and the car will run lean. Then there's the timing.

As you all know MP3's are distributerless motors. It's also a good rule of thumb to retard the ignition at least 1-3 degrees so not to lean out the motor while spraying and detonate. I've come up with a solution to the problem. MSD has a device called a multi-step retard system. It ties into the micro-switch on the throttle body. The way it works, the micro switch is activated at wide open throttle (WOT.) The MSD retards the ignition 1-3 degrees. But like I said, there are many choices to consider so educate yourself. I will let you all know the outcome of the DYNO results of the kit I've installed. So far track tested yielded 14.30's back to back. For myself, NOS is a winner in my book of knowledge.

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: enry ]

HA!

WELL...... I HAD A NOS DRY SYSTEM ON MY MP5 AND AFTER ABOUT 10 BOTTLES USE................BBOOOOOOOMMMMMM!
LOST COMPRESSION IN ONE CYLINDER AND DAMEGED ANOTHER. I HAD THE SAME NOS KIT 05115. I HAD IT ON MY MUSTANG.....TALK TO ME!

Well no wonder you were spraying a 80 when our fuel systems can only keep up with a 60 shot in stock form. I'm keeping it to a 50 but I think I'v elost compression in one cylinder as well but from a massive backfire from over pressure in my exhaust when it was clogged.

?

I am thinking about NOS and I don't want a huge out burst of power but what if I have about 25 shots is that going to give me that little boost? or is it a waste of time? I just do not want to do too much and screw up the motor. On top of that I have a auto, is NOS even an option?

Josh-

I emailed MSD and they told me they have no products for the 3rd gen protege's!!! Hey antoine...who told you that info??

Chas

i've had a zex kit on my integra for over a year never one problem. i've used nitrous express and NOS brand kits. zex is stil my favorite. next is the venom kit

i have been spraying mine for over a year and no problems so far!!!! i have been at a 75 wet shot for about 6 months. any1 spraying needs to have some type of meter to watch for any lean problems. all it takes is a piece of trash in the fuel jet.. they say dry hits harder but to take bigger chance...

I have the mp3 ecu..and have been running a 50shot..for about 6months...(1 month on the mp3 ecu)..

Chas

My exhaust got clogged from a minor fender bender i had when I had the turbo kit on it rattled the cat the wrong way and broke it apart and sent a piece in the exhaust sideways and clogged it.

Back