Technical inaccuracies of the Fast and the Furious

Kooldino

MOTM Winner Jan '09
Authorized Vendor
Contributor
:
MP3
Someone in another thread mentioned that there was a lot of technical inaccuracies in "The Fast and the Furious"

Let's see how many we can list!

One possible one is when the guy with ADD looks at the green Eclipse...he said something along the lines of "CAI...(some other part)...a turbo"

I thought you couldn't have both?

Another is that I heard you couldn't have a "10 second supra" even though they claimed you could.

Originally posted by MP3_TIM_MADISON_WI:
<STRONG>Why Not???

and

Why Not???</STRONG>

1-I have no idea...it's just what I've heard. Something along the lines of only one of them (either the turbo OR the CAI) being able to fit onto your intake at at time.

2-I friend told me that even Supras that have like 700+ HP only do 11's...don't know why.

No, you can have a 10 second supra. There are supras that run 6s and stuff so 10 is not out of the question. And the deal about the turbo. I believe it had to do with the headers. There were headers on the eclipse that shouldn't have been there with a turbo.

I know a bunch of problems they made. When he tests his eclipse at the beginning of the movie, he shifts something like 7 times. Also, when he loses to toretto (how do you spell that) Toretto says, "Granny shifting not double clutching like you should". When drag racing you don't want to double clutch, it takes too much time. Also, when they break into Johnny Tran's garage, there is are two cars with no engines. A civic and an integra. Tran proceeds to ask about how much it would cost to buy two SR20DET motors (the silvia engine). The movie made many mistakes. I liked seeing the cars they had in it and the racing but the story line and dialogue was terrible.

The part about the SR20's is prolly right. I have seen SR20's in civics. The SR20 is one of the best engines you can get. The CAI is right. It is just like a regular CAI. You have a filter in the fender and the pipe goes to the compressor side of the turbo.

The stand alone fuel management system isn't 10 grand hehe.

The part where he talks about the skid marks of the highjackers, he says something about Mashimoto (spelling?) tires. I don't think there is such a company, I could be wrong though.

Did you guys notice in the beginning of the movie when he was running his Eclipse up above Dodger Stadium that he went from 120 to 140 in the blink of an eye. I thought that was a little ridiculous. But I loved the movie.

Did you guys also notice that when the "Mad Scientist" was checking off all the stuff that "Spilner" had, that he said he has a NOS Fogger system, and Direct Port Nitrous Injection? Aren't they the same thing?

The tach in the Supra never moved.

Not much talk about real motor stuff, but I can bet you that the whole movie was HEAVILY financed by NOS (the company)

I don't know who said 700HP Supra's only do 11's, they've probably never seen a 700HP Supra. I can definitely tell you that a 680HP dyno-proven Supra (like a '92 I think) is easily under 11 seconds.

Another error...
Look at the eclipse when he is driving up to the illegal races at the warehouses. when it shows shot from ground towards front you can see a cord dragging on the ground!

And then remember there's the part where he shakes up the Eclipse so much with the NOS that the passenger side floor falls off? And then later on, Dom jumps in and they run from the cops? :rolleyes: Hehe, great stuff.

And how bout when they say you are running so much NOS that you are going to blow the welds on the intake manifold. I almost died laughing! But I liked the movie specially that yellow skyline!

Another thing that is weird with the Eclipse... they say it is a turbo, add the blow-off valve wistle, but the car actually is not turbo. The car has no turbo at all. They just wanted to say it was turbo in the movie.

Yeah that was kinda gay, one second the card is smoking from the hood, the next second they're running from the cops. The car regenerates on its own? Damn I really need that mod for my car.

guys thums up is an actual movie thrill. nobody had ever done this. ok many inaccuracies but what the heck the movie is good. as far a the supra's questions check out this month's Turbo magazine ya'll see what a supra is capable of. :D :D :D

Zoom Zoom

Forget the car's technical innacuracies. I know a guy who was an undercover cop and he would have NEVER let they guy go much less nailed the guys sister! I don't know many guys who win drag races with 500 lbs. of stereo equipment in the trunk! And where were all those bolts coming from when the eclipse was falling apart? I beleive that it would fall apart, even without the racing and the nitrous, I just don't know why there would be so many bolts flying out from underneath the dash. Plus, how could that guy race and type on his laptop computer at the same time?

Back