Matrix competition

C

cougfan99

Review regarding the new Toyota Matrix: "Basically a Corolla, and with all Corollas there'll be another one along in a moment thanks to the endless model cycle. Current version has barely arrived and it's already on the slipway. Replacement, shown at Frankfurt, looks pretty good and almost certinly worth the wait if you're vaguely tempted. Our Choice: wait for the next generation. Or the one after."

Dude, where are you getting these reviews. I've heard nothing but good things about the Matrix and by no means can you call it a Corolla. It kinda has a 180hp Celica motor and 6-speed Celica transmission. :rolleyes: I'm not bashing you or anything SanFran, just replying the review.

180hp, 6-speed and a 16.6 1/4 mile time :p

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: Mac Daddy ]

180 HP, only 130 Lb/ft torque - my P5 has 5 more lb/ft - still wondering about that 1/4 mile time?

It'll have a decent top end, but no acceleration with those torque figures.

The thing is fugly anyway.

Most of these reviews come from European car magazines. Unfortunately they didn't test our car. But my guess is they would have said something about it's harsh suspension and noisy engine. The editors generally frown upon Korean and American cars the hardest. Japanese imports (like the Matrix, MP3, etc) fair slightly better, but not good still. The authors truely have no tact though.

Originally posted by hakushi no sakura:
<STRONG>Only the sport trim has 180hp, otherwise the lower models come in FWD or AWD with the Corolla's 130hp engine.</STRONG>

I wasn't talking about the lower trim models and the P5 may have 5 more lbs ft of torque, but it doesn't have that extra 50hp at the crank. Nor does it have Variable Valve Timing. Put the MP3, P5, and Matrix on the highway and downshift to 3rd in all 3 at the same time while rolling at 65-75 MPH and the Matrix will be in front of you. :D The matrix hands down will have more top end power.

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: APEXistud ]

Both Matrix and Celica is built on top of the Corolla platfrom.

The Matrix is more than fine to me. But the Celica GT-S is damn overpiced.

Wells... I'm hearing mixed opinions about the Matrix but it doesn't matter because I bought it already ... Picking it up this week after the dealer installs my alarm system... It definitely looks good and surprisingly it sits pretty low to the ground for a SUV... nice... I likes... ;)

Back