Try Linux

LinuxRacr

Contributor
:
2001 Mazda MP3
Enry and Co.

Have you ever tried Linux! It is great as far as hardware compatibility. As far as support, there is nothing that I had a problem with that I could not find on the web. When I ran my website, Linux is what I used. Not sure how familiar you are with System V (5) type OS's, but you would definitely benifit. :D

I don't think Linux is a 'good' server platform.

With respect to *BSD, Linux is comparatively insecure, unstable, and somewhat cluterred. There is one Linux kernel, yet there are hundreds of distros and configurations, none of which accomplish the simple task of poriving a compact, coherent, stable and secure network environment.

A functional install of OpenBSD with compiler is roughly 150 megs and includes most daemons and tools I require (sshd, named, apache httpd, inetd, perl, ...). The folder structure and configuration files are relatively straightforward and coherent.

Without getting into a flamewar... My installation problems were not caused by OS limitations but rather hardware problems. I have dropped OBSD on a Dell PE1500 system with the megaraid SCSI controller in 15 min, no problems. Incidentally, dell does good stuff. However, a "good" server with reduntant power/raid storage sets you back 5K canadian. Anyone want to donate a dell server?

Cheers,

almost all hardware issues with Linux (sound, video, scanners, RAID yadda yadda) are due to the producers of those peripherals who are not willing to provide drivers and/or specific datas and/or source codes required to have it run under Linux. Some people are skilled enough to reverse-engineer these peripherals and thereafter provide a driver for all end users to use but that is totally illegal and can lead to serious troubles. Thats why the newest hardwares dont always work well in Linux.

just a thoughs I'd like to share with you. Does your modifications on your car worked out of the box? I mean, didnt you had to learn a couple things? (cool)

Back