MP3 = -$ for Mazda.

Karl Marx

Contributor
:
MP3 With Clunk Package
Dunno what happened, i can't reply to the other topic cuz i changed the Forum Name.. i'm confused.. anyway here was my reply,

If you look at the prices.. in CANADIAN DOLLARS.
Protege ES 2001: 17610
+ air Conditioning: 1000
+ keyless package: 350
+ GT Package: 2990

21950 ... 22000$ .. now the MP3 is 23875 here.

So basically, for 1875$ you get, 17" instead of 16", Low Profile Z tires, Nice Nardi WHEEL!!, Nice shifter, 750$ US (Z828 /ubb/smile.gif) Kenwood Head unit, SubWoofer, Better Kenwood Speakers, Nice Seats and Finishing touch tough the GT package has something too, Unique Color, Really Sporty Suspension ( you gotta try a MP3 to really realise how good their work on the suspension is... its sporty yet not too rough on the bumps, Underbody Kit, Engine s*** (10hp), Probably no Speed Cap ( only had mine up to 180 km/h, will try more in the near future ), Muffler, Painted Mirrors / Door handles, Spoiler even tough some ppl don't like it i think its nice, Nice Pedals, and ....limited edition!

How can Mazda make a profit out of this car? its normal that they only made 1500 of them. Next year we MAY see a modified P5 ( since that car rox and is really selling )... we'll see but aftermarket parts cost alot of money and people don't realize that. P5 with air is 21000$, keep that in mind. suspesion + mags + audiosystem + gottahavethatbetternengine = a bit more expesinve car!

I really hope Mazda would develop more power to the MP3... but i doubt it will happen.

At least People still turn around when i pass by... /ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Karl Marx (edited 09-10-2001).]

Yeah! With this price, you can't get anything better than the MP3. A set of MP3 rims would cost around 3000CAD(Retial Price) + around 1500CAD Dunlop tires. No to mention the head unit and other mods.

------------------
Stock MP3, 01
Toronto

I don't think they would come out to as much as 3000$ CAD and tires 1500$ CAD .. maybe 3000$ for the both.

I sure hope i won't have to pay 1.5k for my tires in 2-3 years ( because i tend to use the MP3's nice road handling alot..)

Speaking of wheels and tires...from what I know, they do cost a lot! The wheels are approximately $750 Cdn each, and the tires, well I'm not sure, but they will probably run about $300 Cdn each. That totals to be about $4200 Cdn.

I'm sure there are variations on the price of the tires depending on which tire shop you buy from (maybe can get them for under a grand if you're lucky?), but the wheel price is pretty fixed.

These prices are based on my inquiries in Vancouver, Canada. Perhaps things are cheaper in the East or in the States?

Karl, you forgot to mention that the ES GT had the electric sunroof, ABS brakes and the cruise control which we don't have on our MP3s. They removed those to cut the cost... The only thing I'm missing is the cruise control...

Martin

You guys are forgetting that nobody in there right mind would pay sticker price for a protege ES. I have seen ES's with all the toys for less than $14000 USD. Also you can see the MP3 as an investment in mazda's future. There is probably no coincidence that they only made 1500 of them. If they sold them for their cost and gave themselves some advertisement in magazines and a little more appeal in the future, especially to the younger people, than this is something that would pay off in the future. Also I'm sure they didn't pay full price on all of the aftermaket stuff (Like the stereo and wheels) because they did buy at least 1500 of each.

I think it is the best investment mazda could have made.

4 tires that TireRack spits out for the MP3...not too bad on the set of Yokohamas...sure, they're not the Dunlops we got, but hey, its worth a try for 110/tire USD. (big ass link below)Tire Rack Tire Recs...

YOU MP3 PEOPLE SUCK!...jk I had to buy my own rims, where as yours came stock. I drove around with cracked hubcaps for more than a year. It was terrible. And now I still don't have rims that match the stock MP3 rims. You MP3 owners really are lucky.

I admit that our car is pretty nice(coming stock with all these nice goodies). You have to remember though that the sticker price in USD is between 18,000 and 19,000. Believe me they are making a profit off this car even with it's limited numbers. It costs mazda just about the same to build an MP3 as it does fo Honda to make an SI. I costs mazda between 6000 and 8500 to build our cars.

Assuming that Mazda loses money on every MP3--not that I believe that to be true, but just for the sake of discussion--they have gotten more good PR and ink in every car magazine and newspaper because of it. It is doing exactly what was intended...get tuner support for the Protege and Mazda in general!

It also shows that Mazda is coming out of its sleepy econobox haze!

Latest posts

Back