Mazda 3 delayed to 2005

MSP Pro

:
2003 Black Mica MSP
Just saw this on http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/23279.htm
Here's the relevant paragraph:

A redesigned Protege has reportedly been postponed from 2004 to the '05 model year. Renamed Mazda3, it will be an underskin sister of the next-generation Ford Focus and a new entry-level Volvo 40-Series. All share a clean-sheet unibody platform, various chassis components and electronic systems under Ford Motor Company's worldwide "C1" small-car program. Styling, features and performance will be matched to each nameplate's "brand values." Mazda3 apparently bows with carryover Protege powertrains per Ford's current cost-cutting program. A 4-door hatchback may join the wagon and notchback sedan down the road. A Mazda engineer recently put wheelbase at 103.9 inches, two inches longer than Protg's. He also says Mazda3 will look much like the swoopy MX Sportif concept shown at the March 2003 Geneva Auto Salon.

My comments: Bigger, probably heavier, with carryover engines/powertrains. This is disappointing if you were waiting to see if the Mazda 3 would be a big improvement over the Protege. And it looks like it's been delayed to the 2005 model year. Makes me even happier with my MSP!

Consumer's Guide article does not have the most up to date information.

The Mazda3 will begin sales in Germany in October, Japan a couple of months earlier, and MazdaUSA is aiming for Nov-Dec. No indications from Mazda Canada but I suspect it'll be first quarter '04.

The Mazda3 will use the new global 4-cylinder engine family from Ford/Mazda. The engines for N. America will be a 2.0l that produces 150hp (albeit in Europe configuration) and a 2.3l that produces 160hp (same as the one in Mazda6). The chassis itself is shared with the next generation Ford Focus & Volvo S40. Suspension is MacPherson strut in the front with multi-link in the rear.

As you can see, the powertrains are most definitely not a carry-over from the current Protege/P5.

yeah they are brand new engines, no longer the FS series

the 2.3L is the same engine in the Mazda6i, FYI

I think the 2.0L is a de-stroked version of the 2.3?

well that really sticks in my craw..........

/me braces for next 'limited run' of 389384 2004 MSPs

im reminded of a jerry seinfeld bit you may be familiar with, it goes something like "where do they get these names for cars? the ford LTD.....L T D...limited.......right.......what did they only make? 30 million of these???? yes, we are limited, limited to the number we CAN SELL"

:)

The 2.0l is in the same family as the 2.3l and is also used in the Mazda6 (except N. America). However, the 2.0l does not have variable valve timing whereas the 2.3l does.

This info is completly wrong. The veh is still on schedule.

The 2.0 and new 2.3 are not in the same family. The I4 is a completely new engine.

Well, I don't work for Mazda so I'm not 100% sure, but from the MX Sportif press release, it sure seems like the new 2.0l in the Mazda3 is in the same family as the 2.3l (namely the MZR family):

From www.mazda.com/publicity/public/200302/0217ae.html

"The front-wheel drive MX Sportif is powered by a MZR 2.0-liter, inline four-cylinder engine, a member of Mazda's new-generation of engines. "

But, from my understanding, the MZR 2.0l does not have variable valve timing, whereas we all know the 2.3l does. And just to be clear, the MZR 2.0l I'm referring to is not the same as the 2.0l in the current Pro/P5.

insider: I think you work for Mazda right. Can you share with us any recent news about the Mazda3, like it's release date for the US, options, etc... Thanks, greatly appreciated.

Here is a old post.

I just came from a Mazda 3 meeting. So here is what you will be getting

There will be a 4 and 5 door. The 4 door will have 2 engine options the 2.0 (148 hp) i model and the 2.3 (160hp) s model. The 5 door (wagon) will only get the 2.3. Lots of new cool options like nav system, tire-pressure moniters 17 inch wheels.

Should start seeing the car on the dlr lots around Nov/Dec.

I care of only one thing, will there be a different transmission?!!

Back