Comp. Stereo soon to be

TightMP3

Jsut like greerstyl, i am going to gut out the whole car after christmas. I am going to Install a nice SQL system, consisting of:
Soundstream 5.3 for the front, Soundstream Exact 6.2's for the rear deck, 2 Soundstream 12" Exacts, Soundstream Reference 405s 4 channel amp. For the sub amp i might get a MS2125 Phoenix Gold amp. The headunit i am waiting on getting becasue Eclipse is going to be coming out with 4 new deck come Jan. I will see them at the CES show in Vegas. Here are pix of my old car and system before i sold it all for the MP3,
G randam :D

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: TightMP3 ]

Originally posted by Tdog:
<STRONG>TightMP3,

Don't you have anything better to do? Who gives a s*** about your stereo and settings.</STRONG>

LoL, my lord now you want to bash me. So where are your pics of your MP3? better yet what is a hobby that you enjoy?
P.S. probably wont hear back from this dead beat....

Well I have purchased the 2 Soundstream 12" exact subs, the Soundstream Reference 405s amp, and i just recieved 36 Sq. Feet of Dynamat. I have three sets of Stinger Dream Series 16.4 feet RCA cables and I have the Remote wire. Im waiting on a sub amp that I want, also the dist. blocks, power wire, farad Caps, 2-Phoenix gold PLD1 and the Optima Battery. I am going to do some Fiberglass work to get this install a better look. Once everything is installed I will then go for the Screen. This is just an up date. :cool:

Well I go today to pick up my sub amp that i am buying. So far i now have the Dynamat 50ft total, Soundstream Exact 5.3's going up front, Exact 6.2's going in the rear, 2 12" exacts, Reference 1000s, Reference 405s, and a Klipsch center channel. The Line Driver will be put in the mail today from what i hear.
Sub Amp Ref 1000
Ref1000s_lg.jpg

5 Channel amp 405s
Ref405s_lg.jpg

Subs
Ex12f_b_lg.jpg

5.3's
Exatsep5_lg.jpg

6.2's
Exact62_lg.jpg

Right click the image and choose show picture if it doesnt come up.

where and how are you going to install the center channel? You may not need it if you mount the front seprates correctly(kick panels).

Hey Carson, I posted a little something about kick panels under the "tweeters" thread. Those Q-forms don't always mount the speakers in the optimal positions, but if they do and you use them, you'll definitely want to reinforce them with fiberglass and sound deadener, or they'll buzz and resonate like nobody's business.

I appreaciate the opnion on the q forms...but i feel like the sound will be down in the floor rather than eye level. So thats where the center will come in. You have to have a center channel to win a SQL comp, because it is worth 20 points if you have it.
I did help a friend get so Qforms for his honda and they were great, but not for me in the SQL comps.
As far as the center channel...It is going to be mounted on the dash....or I am going to see if i can have it come out of the dash...I am going to use a Klipsch home center channel...the reason being is it is 8 ohm.
I will make sure that I properly install this correctly....i have a lot of experience espeacially since the family business is in to istalling home audio...check out the site. www.customaudiovideo.com dont do car stereo but it is the same concept.

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: TightMP3 ]

Hey Tight, did someone tell you you'd get 20 points for a center channel? I'd double check your references. I've been out of active competition for a couple of years, but that seems really odd. I've only done one system ever with center, and certainly haven't ever heard of IASCA awarding 20 points for anything like this. I didn't think they could give points for a specific way of doing something.
One of the highest scoring cars I ever did had 7",5", and tweet in the kicks (don't ask me how, I can't type that much!) and subs in the trunk. That's it! It didn't sound like it was coming from the floor, either. A proper setup is extremely important. So I guess I'm saying, that unless YOU really want a center channel, and have the hardware to properly set it up, I wouldn't do one. Unless for some reason IASCA went insane and really does give 20 points!! I still question that, given that that car I'm talking about would win by like .5 points. The only thing that ever gave specific points was the three bonus points for being an IASCA member.

give me a fax number and i will show you what i mean, you get like a point range form 1-15 i believe without the center, but if you have acenter you have a chance to get 1-20 points. email me your fax and i will show u the sheet. a center sounds better to me anyways. i guess it is a matter of opinons. cool????

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: TightMP3 ]

I mounted the tweeters tonightand they look good. I will post pix tomorrow. I think everyone will agree they look good and it was easy to install.

I don't have a fax. But I'll look on ISACA's web site and see what I can find. And yes, it's mostly a matter of opinion, just remember that when you're getting judged. I've wanted to choke many a judge when my cars were competeing, and also had lots of competitors want to choke me when I was judging. You'll definitely draw a lot of attention with the car alone.

ummmm. They're not going to give you 20 points just because you installed one. They're going to give you points based on the image and soundtage being properly created. How you create that soundstage, either with an actual center mounted speaker of from equalizing path lengths or using a horn loaded drivers under the dash, is not scored unless it gives you some points in the installation/creativity judging. But for sure, no points just because you put it in there. Not that installing the center channel you have chosen won't be effective in creating that soundstage, it will probably work out pretty well if it is subtle.

Better yet here we go....
This is what I mean,one more time..... SQL judging ....
There are 7 Sections to the Judging A-G
A. sound Pressure Level 1 point per Decibal, 140 Maximum____so if you hit a 134.4 you 134 points.
B. Frequency Response
C. Staging.... The judge has 4 Choices to choose out of this one.
Front Dtage/ Rear Fill=31-41____
Front Stage or Center Stage only=21-30___
Rear Stage/Front Stage=11-20___
Rear Stage only=0-10____
So which ever one your car falls into you have that many pts to acheieve, so if I my car was really good for the Front stage Rear fill they have between 31-40 points to give.

D.Stereo Image THIS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT IF YOU HAVE A CENTER THAT IS SETUP CORRECT AND WILL HELP YOU GET MORE POINTS.
Definte left and right channel separation with strong center image=31-40 points___
Definte Left and right channel separation with confused center image=1-30____
Left or right side Bias=11-20____
mono- no detection of left and right channel separation=0-10___

The sheet goes on to Fequency Separation and Clarity
Sound Linearity
Abesence of noise and then you total all together
In no way are you going to get points for having it but it is defintely going to help you if you do it right( you can see that there are more points at stake if you have a Center channel...I compete all the time..dont know about you but come to NOPI and we will see my compnets and center compared to your kick panels. Not being a Dick but I know what I am talking about.

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: TightMP3 ]

You're not being a dick, you're not understanding what we are saying...
We agree you will get points for having a "strong center image" as the scoring sheet states. This does not mean you get points because you have a speaker in the center! Otherwise it would say "strong center speaker". A center speaker doesn't necessarily mean a "strong" center image. It is possible to overpower the stereo seperation with a center channel speaker that might be strong in volume but can destroy the image, therefore causing it to be a "weak" center image.
But maybe you do understand that and it's not coming through in your writing. Oh well, who cares anyway? right?

Back