How does XM work?

mx6929

:
6S Wagon
Hi all, I am wondering if our Kenwood can receive XM radio or need special receiver to get it. 'Cause I saw there is a Sony Plug&Play deck but have no idea how it works.

your stock protege mp3 z919 or z828 head unit will not work with any XM tuner directly.. the only way you could get an XM signal would be to get an add-on tuner module which would basically be a second screen (pioneer makes one look in the crutchfield catalog, just buy it elsewhere).. and you would also need a tuner module and xm antenna..

my personal setup is this: http://www.motion-science.com/tradr_/xm1.jpg http://www.motion-science.com/tradr_/xm2.jpg http://www.motion-science.com/tradr_/xm3.jpg

XM for those who dont know is a kickass satellite radio service that works very well, the quality is great.. and its $10 a month.

your stock kenwoods might and I say *MIGHT* work with sirius satellite radio but as far as I know that system is not out yet..

good luck!

Here's the problems to be aware of:
XM radio is a satellite-fed signal (like Direct TV or Dish network). It requires a special reciever and antenna, so you'll need some way to hook it into your existing radio, either by accessory inputs, or (hell no) FM modulator. Radio's that you see that say "XM ready" simply have the ability to control the XM tuner and have the input capability already on them. It doesn't mean that they can just automatically recieve the signal. The tuners start at like $300, and service is about $10 a month. So if you do a lot of driving and are mostly in areas where there's no radio signal (like truckers and cross-country drivers) it might be worth it. But for a guy like me, driving about 15 minutes one way with a case full of CD's and about 30 radio stations to choose from, it's not really financially applicable.
I don't think Sirius (similar service to XM) is available yet.

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: sttl013 ]

Hey, Grim - nice to see you've made it to some of the boards.

Does the satellite signal get crappy when the antenna is not exposed? Like, if I decide to get XM and then drive thru the Midtown Tunnel (about a mile long or so underground/underwater), can I plan on losing reception?

Jeez, I can usually pick up Howard Stern the whole way thru, on FM.

I've had no problems with the XM antenna inside the car behnd the brake light.. it does cut out occasionally for a couple of seconds at a time on tight backroads with trees all around or under a bridge/tunnel for more than say 3 seconds (the buffer apparently)..

I honestly have no idea how much better reception would be with the XM antenna outside, I'd give it a try outside but my antenna is nice and secure right now with sticky double sided tape + the built in magnet on the rear deck.. also I'm afraid the antenna on the outside might draw more attention to the stereo inside my car or lend itself to theft/somebody pulling it off..

In the tunnel, I think you can plan on kissing the signal goodbye.. I loose it in a garage, so I think a tunnel will be a bit wosre.. but I'm headin up to the mountains this weekend, so I'll test it there...

- Miker

Whoa, Grim you shouldn't be loosing it inside a garage. Even with internally mounted antennas I can close the steel doors to my shop, which is concrete and steel and still get a clear signal. With your antenna mounted onthe outside you really shouldn't be getting a drop out like that. Then again there may not be a lot of ground repeaters in your area so that could make the difference.

I have my XM antenna mounted under the rear bumper (kind of on the inside). Works great!! The shop that installed it did an excellent job of hiding the wire from the antenna to the tuner.

After I picked up the car from the shop I looked pretty hard to see how they ran it but I couldn't figure it out. I guess if it's out of sight/out of mind that's okay with me.

oops...it's been a while i haven't had time to look here around since i posted. it sounds to me it's a better idea to get both receiver and ant. at the same time to ensure the quality. but the price is my most concern issue since i have to pay my college tuition. but anyway, you guys are pro. and thanks for advises.
how about install speakers under rear doors fenders? i think there is no speaker there, and i have no idea if there is any wire pre-installed by mazda? may we DIY that? i think about this coz it would be cheaper than getting XM.
:)

Maybe not

how about install speakers under rear doors fenders? i think there is no speaker there, and i have no idea if there is any wire pre-installed by mazda? may we DIY that? i think about this coz it would be cheaper than getting XM

There is no wire run to the trunk or rear door fenders.

You eed to buy speakers, wire, conectors, etc to get the speakers back there. Prices add up quickly if you start buying quality audio components. I wouldn't trade my XM for the world.

Whatever works for you though. Good luck

Our radios are Sirius satalite ready. It still costs you like $200 to get it installed though. All it is is "ready". You need a tuner, all we have are the inputs for it. The cost isn't bad, it's like $13 a month. But the bad new is that Sirius isn't up and running yet. Look for it mid to late this year.

So far this year XM has had close to 100,000 subscribers.... Sirus < than 5,000.. Last I heard sirus was more like 800.. If your going to invest in anything, I reccomend XM..

The reason Sirius doesn't have that many subscribers is because it isn't availabel yet. As far as I know. They were supposed to start around Dec 01 to Jan 02 but delays came up I guess. But both are pretty equal companies. XM just came out faster than Sirius.

True, but as of right now.. XM looks to have a better chance of being in it for the long run, as of right now.. Also, XM is already becoming the Buzz term.. Like Klenex(tissue), Sharpie(marker), or Bandaid(bandadge) XM is what people call sattelite radio.. AM, FM, XM... Sirus sounds like the name of the place you go to buy tools..

Will XM plug into our head units just like Sirius. Since the Z-828 is already Sirius ready, I wonder if it is compatable with XM also. I'd rather have something that plug in, also it's cheaper. Like $200 to get started instead of $300 or more.

Well, I'll be honest, was just a plug in, than I'd go for it. Becuase it is Minimal cost out of pocket. But if you can't just plug it in, or if your car doesn't come with it, then I highy reccomend building your system XM from the ground up.

I have a feeling that Sirrus is going to be like that one Bar every city has. Where every year it has a new owner, and just can't compete becuase it has no nitch or uniqueness.

XM & Sirus are the two companies that have a FCC license to broadcast via satellite. XM has two satellites in orbit over the US ("Rock" and "Roll"), Sirius has three for better coverage.

XM got rolling earlier than Sirius due to technical issues. XM has commericals, Sirius does not. Checking the website, I see that Sirius is available in 37 states.

----

NEW YORK, May 30 -- Sirius Satellite Radio (Nasdaq: SIRI), the satellite radio broadcaster, today announced service will be available beginning this week in nine additional states and the District of Columbia, bringing the total number of states to 37.

"As part of our accelerated nationwide service roll out, Sirius will launch on June 1 in Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, upstate New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and Washington, D.C." said Guy Johnson, Executive Vice President, Sales and Marketing, for Sirius. "As of tomorrow, we will be available in more than three-quarters of the United States and we'll be heading down the homestretch with only 11 more states to activate. Sirius remains on target for our expected nationwide service availability date of July 1."

Service is already available throughout the western, Midwestern and southern parts of the country including Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Sirius radios can be purchased at national retail stores such as Circuit City and Best Buy, as well as local audio retailers in selected markets.

About Sirius

From its three satellites orbiting directly over the U.S., Sirius (http://www.sirius.com) broadcasts 100 channels of digital quality radio to motorists throughout the continental United States for a monthly subscription fee of $12.95. Sirius delivers 60 original channels of completely commercial- free music in virtually every genre, and 40 world-class sports, news and entertainment channels. Sirius has agreements to install AM/FM/SAT radios in Ford, Chrysler, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, Volvo, Mazda, Dodge, Jeep, Volkswagen, Audi, Nissan and Infiniti vehicles. Kenwood, Clarion and Jensen satellite receivers, including models that can adapt any car stereo to receive Sirius, as well as home and portable products, will be available at retailers such as Circuit City, Best Buy, Good Guys, Tweeter, Ultimate Electronics and Crutchfield.
--

I have friends that working for both companies and may do some voice work for XM or possibly Sirius (it's all about the benjamins).

I would have to say that my money will go toward Sirius, since if I am paying to hear satellite radio, I don't want to sit through commericals too. I do not think this will become a Betamax/VHS sort-out. I read in the trades that there is a radio that will pick up both (although you will still need to subscribe) coming soon.

Back