Replaced all weak factory wires!

big_ben

Contributor
I just got done replaceing the factory RCA's and the power wire with high quality stuff yesterday. It makes a huge difference. I recomend it highly, but it's a little bit of a b**** to do. It took me about 2 hrs. If anyone that doesn't know how to get to the back of the stereo and want's to do this just let me know. :cool:

Yes that info would be helpful. (How to get to the back of the stereo)

What cables did you use for Power/audio?

Tim

I started at the sub and removed the wires up to the front driverside door( pop off the door sils with either a flat tip or just use your fingers) You can get the high quality cables from any car audio store or circut city or best buy. I used either a 14 or 16 guage power wire, I cant remember. You can follow the power wire up to where it goes through the fire wall. You will have to pull up on the rear seat a little though to get to the wires under it. They should be taped down with duct tape.

Here is how to get the console cover off.

1) You first need to remove the cover on the console.(The part that has the carbon fiber accent on the sides) Get the thinest flat tip screwdriver or a knife will work. Don't twist it when you slide it under the cover or it will scrtch or dent it. Pry back slowly, it will seem like you are going to break something. But it will pop off in that area. Then just work your way around the whole cover till it comes off.
2) Then disconnect the hazard light switch and there is one switch on the A/C unit. Un hook that one too. The one in the rear of that one you dont have to mess with.
3)The cover won't actually come completely off so don't just yank on it. You might have to take two screws out on the bottom of the A/C unit(the A/C unit is white). They screw into the back of the cover.(they are brass in color) I didn't have a small enough screwdriver to get to the other two to take it completely off. It was also a big help to take out the glove compartment. It is pretty easy. Just open it and unscrew all the screws around the sides.
4) The you pull it as far out as you can without breaking anything.
5) This radio is the type that fits into a sleeve. There will be two little prong things(Technical Term, haha) on each side of the metal sleeve. You have to pry those out in order to pull the radio out of the sleeve. I just did one side at a time.
6) You might have to free up the cords on the back b/c they will hang up on other things behind the radio. Then reach youre hand behind the radio to unplug the wiring harness and then the antenna.(you will have to pull some foam tape off of it first)This will let you pull the radio out farther.
7) Then just disconnect the RCA's and plug yours in.
:cool:

I switched my stuff out too! I used 4 ga. Platinum Stinger wire and A set of Twisted pair Stinger RCA's. I'm running a kicker amp to a Kicker Comp VR. You thinkn you have bass now, swap out the kenwood sub, you'll be amazed!!!!

That's cool. I'm pretty satisfied with the Kenwood though. I used to like a lot of bass but not anymore. Maybe it's because I'm getting older or something. I hope that's not the case though, pretty scary.

That's funny Ben I know exactly how you feel! I used to be a freak about bass but I think the tube sub is enough for me now. I like a loud AND balanced sound. I would actually like to switch out the fronts for something a little smoother sounding. I have this great set of Kicker tweets that I've be swapping from vehicle to vehicle for about 5 years now(maybe more). They are not too harsh at high volume and they don't color the sound at all. There are so many tweeters that sound like an old lady screaming out there. I think they do that so they can cut through bass-happy systems but I don't think high frequency means it has to be "tinny".

Soundstream also used to make a great tweeter.
I'll probably see if I can fit a 6.5" mid and my 1" Kicker tweets in the front and leave it alone from there.

anybody notice the extremely annoying rattle from the rear deck, is there an easy way to get it off...does it clamp down i know of the clips in the front but what holds the back down

That rattling that you hear coming from the rear deck is the bass tube. If you notice at each end of the tube there are plastic covers. The plastic is only screwed into the tube at maybe 3 spots on each end. The plastic is not secured very well to the tube and at high volume with the bass up these plastic end vibrate against the tube causing that annoying rattle you hear.

no... it's not that... it's the plastic that hold the 2 back speakers...it's not tight enought.
I've put 2 - 12" in my trunk....and this plastic is vibrating a lot.. and at the same time causing rattle.

actually it might be your license plate. i had the same problem but i installed some sound deadening material (dynomat kinda stuff) and it made a big difference...i can turn it up a little more without rattle...

nope its inside....cause when you're driving down the road its not likely that you'll hear your license plate rattle....lol
its the rear deck...which actually comes off quite easily...
first right behind the folding down seats, you'll notice i think 4 holding plugs, simply pull out the center and then slide them out of the hole - the front is ready to be removed
second, remove the plastic cover where the 3rd brake light would be...pop off each side...if u can use a screwdriver gently enough it is easier
third, slide your hand under the panel from the front...and push up easily, now the back panel is removed...dynomat to your please
cuts down the rattle alot....
if you have time with the back panel removed...turn the player on and crank it....them s**** look sweet and sound better...those covers arent doin any good there....
easily reassembles as well...you should enjoy the sound
peace

Back