replacing the MP3 system

mp301guy

i was just wondering if any of yall had changed any speakers in the car and if so what did you put in its place. I am seriously thinking of putting a component speaker in my front doors and mounting the tweeter in the window sail panel. just wondering if anyone has done anything
Nick

I was thinking about the same thing, I have a P5 and the stereo is some what lacking, especialy on the freeway cause the car has so much wind noise and the phantom whistle dosn't help any. I saw an alpine and one other brand that are two 6.5's and two tweed's. Price was ok, but I was hopeing to get some input before buying. :cool:

i replaced my stolen z919 w/ an alpine cda 7878. the "factory" kenwood speakers sound so much better. will be replacing the sub tomorrow w/ a 10" solo-baric and driving it w/ a rockford-fosgate 600.4 amp. running the front door speakers and the sub to the amp.

found out why the mp3 got the low-line kenwood speakers....
supposedly we did not receive the excelon series because the excelon series were too heavy of a speaker and mazda wanted to go with the lightest component parts for the car that they could
- jus what i heard

all speakers are kenwood....i dont remember what model....KFC X576C 6x9 in the rear maybe and
KFC 1677 61/2 in the front

I have all Excelon speakers, all you have to do is pop the trunk and look at the 6x9s in the rear deck and you will see it written on the magnet of the speaker.

eXcelon is pretty much the top of the line for kenwood. I did rip out that crappy ass sub. Its only 100 watts, and the speaker sucks. I put in 2 orion Xtreme subs, and have a kicker ZR360 amp. With the seats folded down it hits so hard, its painfull. The acoustics in the MP3 are amazing. Also, I put two 8 inch neon tubes in the side compartments on the door. It looks real phat at night having the purple glow illuminate the doors, and its very subtle. I dont belive in chees, but it looks good if you do it right.

whats the max watts on sub? i wanna replace the amp but not the sub.

Don't put the tweets on the sail panel. The sound (stereo seperation, sound stage, etc.) will be better with the tweets down lower in the doors then aimed up slightly toward the listener. This equalizes the paths of the sound waves to your ears. You won't really notice the difference in volume that much and it just won't sound good to have the high frequency sounds right up by your ears and the rest of the music from down at you feet, especially at high volume.

I have the excelons
While it's not the best sub I've ever heard, with a little tweaking it's definitely not the worst! For fat rap beats it probably leaves a little to be desired and it sounds a little boomy at times for my taste. Plus, for those show-offs in the group you can't hear it outside the car.

I think there is a serious hole in the frequency response of the system though, somewhere between 100 - 1000hz. Might be interesting to see a frequency analyzer reading of it.

MB Qurt Q's in front, MB Quart CX components in back 4 JL audio 8W3's an Xtant X604 and an Xtant x1001 on the way. Added an Audio control EQS.Swapped the piece of s*** Kenwood, the 828 equally blows, for an Alpine 7965. Any other questions.

Latest posts

Back