Mazda 6 I-4

Looking to get the I-4 5spd. Been reading some threads about not getting the first year models. Does the car suck that bad? Or is it really hit or miss? I am a Ford fan kinda but on their V8 side. Looks like the 4cyl is all Mazda. Good to hear. I guess its just too early to get any feedback from owners...Looking to spend 17.5k or as close to that as possible. Base model. No options.

Any input would be great...

GS

I drove one for a bit. The 4 cyl has a nice pep to it for for such a large car. Car seems very solid, handles far better then the accords. The engine is all Mazda.

I don't know what you've read, but basically, it's always been a rule of thumb not to buy 1st year models. I haven't heard of any Mazda 6 troubles, but then again, i'm not reading up on it either.

Not buying a first year any car is a good rule of thumb. I drove a 4 cyl manual and an automatic. I wouldn't have the automatic since it really softens the car. The manual on the other hand is quite nice as long as you can stand to change gears to get good acceleration. It will pull from the lower revs but you aren't going any where fast. It is like a Miata in that if you want to go fast, keep the rev up. The manual sounds nice, brakes and corners well. I could live with it. My wife how ever wanted an automatic, so we got the v-6. Very nice and she really likes it.

I work for mazda so I have driven many of these cars.
the I-4 is ok, it just does not have the same smooth feel as the 6cyl. The 6cyl is a ford engine...so I would stay away from that. But again it sounds like you are a American Car Fan. There is nothing wrong with the mazda6 4cyl and I have not seen one in for anything but regular maintence.

The mazda 6 has not got anything but good review and it is a great car. I would go for the mazda6 4cyl...

Or you could wait till we get the awd turbo one:) If we ever get it.

Thanks for the input! Am I an american lover? yeah and I love the imports. its like red heads, blondes and brunettes. They all offer something special. Drive a 91 teg right now...

Do you know when the 2004 car will roll out? Is it this july or oct? I'll wait till the 2004 come out. Did not test drive the 6 since it is out of my price range. If i wait I maybe able to get 6cyl. I'm so confused! I am going to a dealership this weekend maybe I'll try out the 6cyl.

GS

GS

Last edited:
the Mazda6 V6 is a Ford Duratec block with Mazda heads work, variable valve timing, etc... a very solid engine.

I would take either 4 or 6, both should be very solid piece of work.

but I am saving up for the spinner-engined bad boy in 2004..... :D

the Mazda6 V6 is a Ford Duratec block with Mazda heads work, variable valve timing, etc... a very solid engine.

I would take either 4 or 6, both should be very solid piece of work.

I just dont fully trust ford engineers. They dont seem to make things to last as long as the japeneese folk.

but I do agree with you they should both be great engines.

Considering th number of cars the duretech is found in it is a very reliable engine. I would feel perfectly safe with it.

FYI, Ford paid Porsche and Cosworth to design the Duratec engine from scratch. I think I can trust 2 of the most successful racing auto companies' ability to design a very capable engine...

FYI, Ford paid Porsche and Cosworth to design the Duratec engine from scratch. I think I can trust 2 of the most successful racing auto companies' ability to design a very capable engine...
I didn't know that.
But if you do look at normal fords designed by ford..all they are good at is v8's. IMO, the american car company just need to step up a little bit and do some better engineering on the smaller engines.

chuyler1 said:
The words 'Ford' and 'V6' bring many memories to my mind, none of which are positive.

you're probably thinking about the old Vulcan V6 they had in the early Tauris, yeah those suck ass...

ZoomZoomH said:

you're probably thinking about the old Vulcan V6 they had in the early Tauris, yeah those suck ass...

Don't forget the crappy Aerostar vans...lol

I love their FMS 392 Stoker crate motors..v8 of course. Anybody from Chicagoland around here I can talk to? Would like a good reference for a dealership to deal with. The Schaumburg Mazda boys blow!

GS

and the mustangs, and the t-birds, and all their mercury counterparts. . .

. . .but the taurus/sable had the notorious head gasket problem which blew after 100K miles on almost every car. I wanna say the stangs and birds had a different head. However my 87 cougar fell victim to the same problem.

chuyler1 said:
. . .but the taurus/sable had the notorious head gasket problem which blew after 100K miles on almost every car.

and they probably all had the Vulcan V6. Ford didn't start putting the Duratec into the Taurus until 95-96 and on...

Mazda6 i

I drove a 4 cyl 5-speed base-model at the local dealership recently and was very impressed. Granted, it didn't have 220 horsepower, but it also weighs a few hundred pounds less than the 6s.

I was impressed by the car's quiet nature on the freeway, but nice sound when accelerating hard. The handling was excellent. I think the better weight distribution on the 4-cyl cars helps give it a lighter and more nimble feel.

Unfortunately, the dealer only had one 4-cyl/5-speed in stock and it was totally stripped of options. They may have more now, so I'll see if I can find one with leather or the sport package. I'd at least like to find one with the factory alloys and a sunroof.

Is there more to the sport package than just the larger wheels/tires and the cosmetic stuff? I tend to like the looks of the car without the extra spoilers and if the suspension is the same, I'd likely just stick with the 16" rims.

i got the mazda 6i with the sport pakage and 4cyl.
it is one of the best riding and handeling sedans of its size.
i love the car.
my fiance and i boughtit together.
the duratec v6 is one of the best 6's on the market with the mazda heads that support flow for 1100 hp from the factory.
yes i siad 1100!!
any way i chose the 4 because of the economy and for the fact the way the exhaust is set up i can easily mount a turbo charger.
we are already it the works for an adapter to the stock manifold for a t3 super 60..!!!:D

I drove the Mazda 6 4cyl. It was pretty cool -- Acceleration was just about the same as my Protege5. I couldn't really tell if it was that much faster or not. However, my P5 is broken in, and that Mazda6 had 50 miles on it. Probably would be a different story after it's broken in.

I liked the car. Has a more solid feel to it than the Protege5, but the P5 feels like it could dance circles around the Mazda6, just because of the weight. I'm not sure how much heavier the Mazda6 is over the P5, but you can definitely feel it.

All that said, it was fun to drive, and handled really well around tight curves. This car looks like it has tons of potential. I looked under the hood of a 6cyl Mazda6, and it doesn't look like there's a lot of room for turbo. :)

chuyler1 said:
and the mustangs, and the t-birds, and all their mercury counterparts. . .

. . .but the taurus/sable had the notorious head gasket problem which blew after 100K miles on almost every car. I wanna say the stangs and birds had a different head. However my 87 cougar fell victim to the same problem.

Taurus Vulcan engines don't suck, they are quite a durable engine, and while underpowered for the car, they work. I had a 94 Taurus GL 3.0 (vulcan) and it ran flawlessly to 168k till an accident. I have a 95 Taurus SE 3.0 (vulcan again) and I drove that to 118k before the tranny crapped out, but that one is getting a SHO ATX come this summer. The vulcan is perhaps ford's best V6 up until they came out with the Duratec line.

NOW the Ford 3.8 (Essex) engine, now that is a piece of s***, it was Fords attempt to match GM's 3800. That was the engine that blew headgaskets like no tomorrow. My parents had a 91 Sable with a 3.8, blew the headgaskets around 92k.

I happened upon this forum to find out a little more about the Mazda6s cause my father just bought one. While I think it is not nearly as fun or as quick as my SHO, I do like it. I would seriously think of owning one as a daily driver when my SHO gets to the point of modification that makes it a weekend car (350-450 FWHP). I like the v6 that is in the 6, and I seriously hope that some good aftermarket development happens. I really hope some of the Ford rumors I hear are true about Ford using the 6 platform for the next generation of the Taurus. With the introduction of the Ford 500 they plan to shrink the Taurus down a little, hopefully to the 6 platform. Which may someday allow all of the diehard SHO fans, to have another Ford powered by a Yamaha, just maybe.

Back