Recall notice

alec172

Does anyone has this problem:

01-004/03 2001-2003 PROTEGE/PROTEGE5 - RATTLING NOISE AT 1000-3000 RPM COLD ENGINE
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2001-2003 Protege (2.0L FS only)

2002-2003 Protege5

DESCRIPTION
Some customers may experience an engine rattle noise under light to moderate acceleration with engine coolant temperatures below 65 C (149 F) and engine RPMs between 1000 and 2900 RPM.

The noise is the result of the intentional swirl effect that is generated when the Variable Tumble Control System (VTCS) plates in the intake manifold are closed. Swirl accelerates the burn of the air/fuel mixture which reduces emissions when the engine is cold. The noise does not have a negative effect on the engine, and disappears as soon as coolant temperature reaches 65 C (149 F). There is a counter-measure to help reduce the noise in order to improve customer satisfaction.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using one of the following procedures:

REPAIR PROCEDURE
Verify customer concern.

Check vehicle VIN range:

From VIN JM1BJ2***1*400001 to JM1BJ2***2*551281, go to step 3.

From VIN JM1BJ2***2*551282 to JM1BJ2***3*644493, go to step 4.

Replace the VTCS delay valve, then proceed to step 4.

Reprogram the PCM using WDS (Version B22 or later), verify the correct calibration from the table below:

Year/Tranmssion

File Name

New Calibration P/N

2001 MTX

DXAGBT0

1L2U-AA

2001 ATX

DXAGAS0

1L2U-BA

2002 MTX

QKMABB0

2ALU-EA

2002 MTX

QKMABB0

2ALU-EA

2002 ATX

QKAABA0

2ALU-FA

2002 ATX

QKAABA0

2ALU-FA

2002 ATX

QKBA7A0

2ALU-GA

2003 MTX

QOAMCB0

3ALU-JB

2003 ATX

QOAADA0

3ALU-KB

2003 ATX

QOAB8C0

3ALU-LB

Install revised PCM calibration sticker (9999-95-AMDC 97 available through MStore) in appropriate position (next to vehicle emissions label) with the calibration P/N provided in the table above.

Verify repair.

PART(S) INFORMATION

Part Number

Description

Qty.

Notes

N23613980A

Delay Valve

Application:

All 2001 Model Year

&

2002 model year built on and before November 5, 2001

WARRANTY INFORMATION
NOTE: This information applies to verified customer complaints on vehicles covered under normal warranty. Refer to the SRT microfiche for warranty term information.

Delay Valve Replacement and PCM Reprogram
Warranty Type

A

Symptom Code

Damage Code

9W

Part Number Main Cause

N236 13 980A

Quantity

Operation Number / Labor Hours:

XX444XR1 / 0.8

PCM Reprogram
Warranty Type

A

Symptom Code

Damage Code

9W

Part Number Main Cause

Quantity

Operation Number / Labor Hours:

XX444XR2 / 0.8:confused: :confused:

Im glad to see they finally had a fix on this. Im going to print this up and head on over to the dealer tomorrow! Let see what they think.

Talked to the dealer this week about this issue. Says machine will be in soon and they will proceed with modifications when I'll be in for service.

You can bet I'll call them every day...

For the Canadians , it is Service Bulliten 03-03 ,it was issued 03-01 . I just got mine done ,it makes a big difference ,idle is smoother ,acceleration is better ,The just drives better . Best of all no more rattles when cold .

macklum said:
For the Canadians , it is Service Bulliten 03-03 ,it was issued 03-01 . I just got mine done ,it makes a big difference ,idle is smoother ,acceleration is better ,The just drives better . Best of all no more rattles when cold .

Yea he is right but it is not a recall it is a TSB and thats a big difference between the two.........

RECALL means they will inform you .

TSB means if you complain about it they might fix it.

ure right. My mistake. For those of u who did the mod, what where u're excat syptom before. Was it a big rattling noise until the engine temp guage started to move or was it constant?

For me it was a slight rattling noise under acceleration when my temp guage was on or near "cold'. After a few minutes, the guage would indicate that the coolant was getting warmer, and the noise would stop. It was around 2k+ rpms.

Had it serviced, and notice it slightly helped the problem. But I am not too concerned about it.

if i'm correct, it sounds like a kind of rattly buzz sound. i thought it was a loose exhaust heat shield or something.

i'll have to look into this. thanks for the heads up.

Me to

dmitrik4 said:
if i'm correct, it sounds like a kind of rattly buzz sound. i thought it was a loose exhaust heat shield or something.

i'll have to look into this. thanks for the heads up.

I said the same thing sounds just like a loose heatshield. I even made mention of it to my service rep.

Got mine fixed

Got mine fixed

They reprogrammed computer and replaced this delay valve

this-valve.jpg

Much better acceleration

Back